It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2003, 07:11 AM   #1
(female)

Shmolissa HB User
Post Infant gasping noises

My six week old has been making high pitched gasping noises since birth. At first it was said to be excess moucus from delivery but after six weeks I'm sure that's not the case. At one month I mentioned it during a check up and after having his chest listened to I was told that his breathing is fine. Now a couple weeks later after monitoring it I've come to the conclusion that it may be coming from his nasal passages. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what did it turn out to be?
Melissa

Old 05-09-2003, 03:44 PM   #2
Inactive

trainboxer HB User
Yes a child in my family was experiencing the same thing when an infant and I think went on for some months? Not sure, but they were afraid it was asthma or something, but I think he's fine now. As long as the doc says there's no prob, hopefully everything will be ok. How often does your child make this noise every day?

[This message has been edited by trainboxer (edited 05-09-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2003, 05:15 PM   #3
Veteran

Greenberry HB User
My five week old son is doing the same thing. He mostly does it when he nurses. At my mom's yesterday she could hear him two rooms away. Our doctor said that he is fine, and that one of his own children did the same thing. For my son, it is like he is wheezing in his chest and it sounds like a rusty gate squeaking. Hopefully they will grow out of it.

Old 05-15-2003, 10:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

LiLnuTTy HB User
My 3 mo old daughter has done it since birth, and nurses told me it was because she was a c-section baby, and had extra mucus....but like you, when she did it for weeks I wondered.
She did it mostly when she got done with her bottle, when she was full....or when she was sleeping, but not sound.
She has pretty much grown out of it now though, and only does it once in a while in her sleep.....I'm sure your babies will grow out of it.

Old 07-02-2003, 09:38 PM   #5

OneDayAtATime HB User
When your child is making the gasping noises, what are his/her eyes doing? Are they rolled up? What is the rest of the childs body doing? Is the body stiff and shaking?

Seizures in infants is EXTREMELY difficult to diagnose. If it is a brief episode, it could be a "blink" and you'll miss it kind of thing. It almost has to go on for minutes to really see it. If you don't look at the eyes, you will never know the child is having a seizure.

My now 27 month old child had 2 HUGE (25 minute) seizures 9 hours after his 2 month shots. He made gasping sounds, his eyes rolled up in his head, his little arms shot up like goal posts, and his entire body vibrated. The gasping sounds lasted for 10 seconds, then he relaxed for 20 seconds, then the gasping shaking started again. After 20 minutes, he went unconscious until after the peramedics got there.

Later, I learned the entire episode was one long seizure. Initially, I thought each "enh enh enh enh enh" sound was an individual seizure.

We have gone through loads with our little guy. For the last 18 months, I have frequented a child neurology site where I visit with other parents regarding various seizure activity. There are dozens of different types of seizures and ways for seizures to present.

In our sons case, the gasping sounds were because his lungs were seizing, as was the rest of his muscles. He was actually trying to take a breath and couldn't inhale.

My neighbor is a NICU nurse. She told me that even as a trained nurse working daily with sick babies, it is extremely difficult to diagnosis seizures in small children.

If you think it is possible that your child may be having seizures, I would encourage you to see your physician. Or schedule an appointment with a Neurologist. If you can, camcorder the event for documentation for the Neurologist. They will know what to look for. But the biggest key, is what are the eyes doing during the activity. Does the child know and remember what is happening? Does the child remember what happened after the event? Very small children would not have recollection of anything even if they are garden variety.

Good luck.

Bec

------------------
Mom to 2 beautiful children. A 2 yo with global developmental delay from vaccine injury. A loving 6 yo. And myself a migraine survivor, dietary managed.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

*SoccerMom* HB User
Shmolissa~
Is the noise like a grunt or an actual squeal? My youngest daughter made grunting, nasal sounds while eating but it was never high-pitched.

I also know that OneDay is right about the "strange noises" during seizures. My middle child (now 5)had vaccine-induced seizures too and I was clueless about the strange noises that she was making. She would have a blank, strange look on her face but wasn't jerking like I expected a seizure to make her do. She was more like shivering. Very strange.

I sure hope that it turns out not to be seizures but I did want you to be aware that there are many types of seizures and that kids react many different ways.

*OneDay, Welcome! I would love to hear your story. Mine is on the vaccination board.

Closed Thread