It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2003, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

Cocoleone HB User
Post allergic reaction in my 6 month old?

My 6 month old baby has eczema, but I seem to have it under control, it started off all over his cheeks and head and has now dimished to just 2 patches n his ears and on his arms and knees. I've reluctantly been using 0.5% cortizone cream when it itches him.

This morning my partner let the baby touch the cat (something I never do) and then we fed him some new baby cereal (he's still breastfeeding though as well). Then he broke out big time, itchy red blotchy face, crying because it hurt and scracthing. It's either the cat or the food, not sure which. I'm more inclined to think it was the cat because the rash only appeared on his face not all over....

Does his having eczema mean he'll develop allergies or asthma later on??

Anyone had any experience similar to this?
Much appreciated.

Old 07-12-2003, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
I don't think having exzema (sp) doesn't mean that he will develop allergies and definately has nothing to do with asthma. However, it is probably a symptom of allergies that he already has.

IMO, I'm quite sure the rash on his face is due to an allergy and I'd be betting on the cat! lol If he got cat dander on his hands and then rubbed his face (or touched his face on the cat) that would cause the rash. Even if he never actually touches the cat he's problably getting dander from the floor, couch, beds, etc. Cat dander doesn't vacuum up. It's impossible to get rid of.

My oldest is severely allergic to cats. They used to send him to the hospital (he does have asthma and it triggered it). Now he just gets rashes. Bad ones. When we were looking for a house to buy we always had to take him with us. 5 minutes in a home where they had EVER in the past had a cat and he was wheezing and had a rash.

Unfortunately I think it's probably time to get rid of the cat.

I hope his rash gets better quickly.

Jeannie

------------------
Pink

[This message has been edited by PinkPiglet (edited 07-12-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2003, 02:01 PM   #3

fntsyangel HB User
The eczema probably IS an allergic reaction, but whethere to the cat or something else, hard to say; however, dont for a moment think that a food allergy will only show up all over the body. My son is deathly allergic to milk (milk based formula included) and he had anaphylaxis that only have hives and visible swelling of the ears and face. He is allergic to rice cereal and he only got hives on his face. In fact, the only time he gets hives elsewhere is when something he is allergic to touches him somewhere other than the face. Anything ingested causes him hives on the face.

Before getting rid of your cat, visit an allergist and have him tested. Dont let them tell you that he is too young - anything that will cause hives is enough of an allergy to show up on a skin-***** test. My son was tested at 8 weeks and again at 5 mo, and both times he had positive results to those things that are problems. It has been an invaluable tool to helping keep my boy healthy!

You also need to keep benadryl on hand and know the dose - anytime he gets hives give it to him and also keep and eye out for wheezing, general face redness or swelling, or swelling of the lips and tongue. If you see any of this call 911 and keep whatever caused the reaction to take to the hospital and doctor.

------------------
Angel, et al

Old 07-13-2003, 08:06 AM   #4

OneDayAtATime HB User
I agree that it was an allergic reaction.

BTW, you never have an allergic reaction the very first time you interact with something. You have to have repeat experience with it for the body to decide it doesn't like it. That being said, it could still be the cat. Just because he never touched the cat before, the cat dander is still in the air.

It could also be a food to which he developed a reaction. Babies aren't typically allergic to breast milk but they CAN be allergic to food that you eat that comes through the breast milk. Both of my babies were allergic to milk. If I drank milk or ate milk products, they had problems after nursing.

Also the immune system doesn't start reacting to allergens until 6 months of age. This is why parents are encouraged to wait until 6 months before trying solids.

I agree an allergist consultation would be appropriate.

Old 07-13-2003, 10:28 AM   #5

fntsyangel HB User
I have to respectfully disagree that the immune system doesnt react to allergens until 6 months. An allergic reaction such as hives IS the immune system responding, in the worst of ways. The problem is that until around 6 months, the immune system is still immature and may respond the wrong way - such as recognizing something harmless as an allergen.

------------------
Angel, et al

Closed Thread