It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2003, 12:27 AM   #1
Inactive

LindaG HB User
Post Stye won't heal. Has had for a month.

Hello! My five year old has a stye on his bottom eyelid that isn't showing any signs of going away. It's on top of the ridge of the eyelid close to the tear duct area. I've read tons of info on stye's and they're supposed to go away in a week or so, almost like a pimple with pus, but his is almost getting a warty appearance. It's not an under eyelid bump like a chalazion it's an actual red bump you can see. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great! I'm not sure at what point do you go to the doctor for a stye? Thank you! :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2003, 04:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
linda if your worried go to the doctor........ someold wives tales that HAVE A WORKED....... boil some milk let it cool and use some cotton wool dip it in milk and wipe his eye in the same way so you dont spread infection actually this really works on sore eyes too also rubbing a gold ring on the stye is said to work............. really old wives tale lol good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2003, 09:30 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
A stye needs antibiotic ointment as this is an infection or if it is quite large it may even need to be lanced. This should have been handled promptly when it didn't go away so that the infection doesn't spread to the other eye or to someone else. Remind you child to not touch his eyes and if he does to wash his hands well with soap and water. Also be sure that the washcloth he uses to wash his face is only used by him and tell him to becareful around his eyes so he doesn't transfer the bacteria to the other eye. See your doc and get this treated before it causes further problems. Good Luck.

Old 02-05-2003, 12:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Actually, my own ophthalmologist told me that the only treatment needed for a stye is warm compresses. He said that most of the time they don't need anti-biotics. Styes are usually caused by a clogged tear gland (not dangerous at all), not from a bacterial infection. I used warm compresses for a week and mine went away without any sort of anti-biotics. However, in a child I would not fool around. Take him to the pediatrician, and ask him to refer you to a good pediatric ophthalmologist. Sometimes stubborn styes that do not go away on their own do need to be lanced.
But as far as I know, styes are not contagious at all. The only sort of eye disease that is very contagious that I know of is conjunctivitis. (pink eye)

[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 02-05-2003).]

Old 02-06-2003, 06:02 AM   #5

SueA HB User
With a stye the best and proven treatment (in the early stages) is to rub a gold ring on it. Sounds funny, but it actually works. I have been using this for years on myself and the children. It should be done as soon as the stye is starting. You will find it will be gone by the next day. The more carrats in the gold, the better.

It the stye has been there for a while, it would be best to have it checked by a doctor. Antibiotics may be neccessary to help clear the infection.

If the 'stye' is near the tear duct, and the eye is weeping, it may actually be a blocked duct.
Sue

Old 02-06-2003, 07:18 AM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
A stye is caused by an infection in the sebaceous (oil producing) or sweat glands in the eyelid. The infection is usually caused by bacteria called Staphylococcus aureus.
Since this is caused by the staph bacteria as pointed out before yes they are contagious and contact precautions need to be followed. Warm compresses will often relieve them but when that doesn't work then medical treatment is needed to prevent further damage or infection to the eye(s).

Old 02-06-2003, 04:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Talking

You are probably right. I guess it depends on the individual case. With a child I would not fool around. Especially if it has been there for so long.

[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 02-06-2003).]

Old 08-14-2003, 12:04 PM   #8

b ozzie HB User
Cool

how long do you have to keep the gold ring on your stye??

Old 08-15-2003, 07:19 PM   #9

Mattsmummum HB User
I said this in the other stye post. I used to get them when I was a teenager (dad said it ws eyestrain). But he used to take his gold wedding band and rub it on his clothes until it got hot and then placed it on the stye until it cooled and then repeated this over and over. I'm 57 years old so that was many years ago and I don't remember how long before they went away. I used to get styes every so often and once had a huge one that finally popped and was full of puss. I never had any antibiotics and never went to a doctor for them, but I wasn't a small child when I was getting them.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:18 AM   #10
Inactive

Equis HB User
I use to get styes all the time when I was a kid and some were small and would go away in a week on their own. Others wouldn't. That's when I would go to the pediatrician and get antibiotic ointment. Along with applying it to the stye, I was also always instructed to place a hot washcloth on my eye for 15 minutes 4 times a day. You'de better hurry though, because if left untreated, it will spread (as I see others have warned) and will harden to the point that it will have to be cut out and will no longer respond to any wives tale remedies or modern day meds. I'm sure your kid wouldn't enjoy that. Good luck!

Kate

Closed Thread