It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Question 12 year old with mono

Hi, I have a 12 year old daughter who hasn't been feeling well, I picked her up from school and went straight to the doctors. They did a cbc and the doctor thinks she has mono. She also has pus in her urine so he prescribed atibiotics for a bladder infection. Her mono test came back negitive but he said it usually comes back negitive for a week or so before it shows positive. My daughter told me after we left the doctors that her friend she hangs out with at school was absent for a couple of days last week because she had mono. I always thought mono was sexually transmitted, my question is how do 11 and 12 year olds get this? my daughter is not sexually active.
The doctor said her liver also feels inflamed. What does the liver have to do with this? He also mentioned something about hepititis but he is steering more toward mono since her monocyte blood count was so high. He said it's not contagious as I do have three younger children, but her friend had it and now the daughter has it. Can someone shed some light on this for me. Thank you.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
Mono has NOTHING to do with sex. Mono is transmitted by saliva. Yes, it is called the kissing disease, which is indeed one way it can be transmitted. It can also be transmitted by sharing a glass, lipstick, sucker, chocolate bar or any number of things kids share.

Also, if a glass, fork or spoon at a restaurant hasn't been cleaned properly - you can catch mono from the person who used it before you. My dh caught mono 2 weeks before our wedding and a glass is how the dr. figured he caught it.

Hope this helps you feel better.

------------------
Pink

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2003, 08:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi, Thanks for your response. My daughter Heather said she was using her friends pen and stuff at school. If they are like anything I was in school they problably chewed on their pens and pencils. She has an appointment on Thursday, so I'll know more whats going on then. Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:14 PM   #4
(female)

jboon HB User
I'm not a doctor, but I had mono several times when I was younger (once as a teen and again as a young adult). Yes, it's transmitted through saliva, so as the other poster said, sharing any items can spread it. I'm curious as to why your doctor said it's not contagious. I'd probably refrain from having your daughter share items with your other children (for a while anyway). I do remember being constantly tired and somewhat weak, and I vaguely recollect the doctor saying something about my spleen being enlarged due to the mono so I couldn't do P.E. for quite some time. Don't know if I've been any help, but I hope your daughter gets better soon.

Old 09-25-2003, 03:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Mono is actually caused by the Epstein Barr Virus, so once you have had mono, the EBV stays in your body for life and you never get rid of it. Basically, it becomes dormant, but as you said that you had it once as a teenager and then again in your early 20's, it is not that you became re-infected, but would be a recurrence of the original infection. Stress in those years and stress can cause a lower immunity and this can cause the right circumstances for the virus to become reactivated again, causing all the symptoms.

Also, yes you are correct that you would have an enlarged spleen during this time and have to avoid contact sports, as this can cause a ruptured spleen which is serious. The spleen is a lymphoid organ, which means that it has a role to play in protecting the body from and dealing with infection. Mono causes all these lymphoid glands to become enlarged, which is why you get enlarged tonsils, neck glands, the glands in your stomach, under your arms and in your groin. Mono can also affect your liver and may lower your tolerance to alcohol due to this, which is why you are sometimes told not to drink alcohol for at least 6 months during infection with mono.

Hope this helps and good luck?

Old 09-25-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi, Thanks for replying. I took my daughter back to the doctor and her monocytes were 75 percent and is now fighting the virus. The reason he said hepititis is because her liver felt inflamed. He said she can go back to school tomorrow but can't have P.E. for a week. She also has a bladder infection and is on antibiotics. Poor thing has been so bored all week, she is happy to be going back to school. Becky

Old 12-08-2003, 09:20 AM   #7

honeybabe HB User
Re: 12 year old with mono

ive had mono aswell and i remeber it was aweful, now my girlfriends 6 year old daughter has it and just got out of the hospital for dehydration as well...her fever kept spiking mostly at night and even though she wasnt vomiting the fevers were making her sweat out all the fluids she had taken in, so watch for that and then she got a small cause of jaundice aswell...... 6 is awefully young for mono, they also put her on some sort of steroid to help control things...
Also im sure your doc told you she'll never be able to donate blood it will stay with her for the rest of her life.... i was 12 when i had it and am now 33 this week when i get runned down and dont sleep well my glands will sweel in my throat and underarm area then when i get a couple good nights of sleep it will go away

Old 01-26-2004, 05:40 AM   #8
(female)

sjd1654 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybabe
ive had mono aswell and i remeber it was aweful, now my girlfriends 6 year old daughter has it and just got out of the hospital for dehydration as well...her fever kept spiking mostly at night and even though she wasnt vomiting the fevers were making her sweat out all the fluids she had taken in, so watch for that and then she got a small cause of jaundice aswell...... 6 is awefully young for mono, they also put her on some sort of steroid to help control things...
Also im sure your doc told you she'll never be able to donate blood it will stay with her for the rest of her life.... i was 12 when i had it and am now 33 this week when i get runned down and dont sleep well my glands will sweel in my throat and underarm area then when i get a couple good nights of sleep it will go away

What are some typical Mono symptoms? I have a 7 year old who always seems very tired in the afternoon. At one point at a visit for strep throat at the Dr., he did mention that Mono has some similar symptoms and was kind of checking into it. He says he feels ok, but just seems so tired. He does have enlarged tonsils and adenoids, which on occasion affect his sleep, but not always.

Any ideas?

Old 01-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #9
(female)

Danitom HB User

I am quite interested in this discussion. My daughter has had mono recently(she too is six) and I had mono 16 years ago. I give blood every six months and noone has ever questioned me about MONO nor said I couldn't/shouldn't give because of it. I was miserable with it......tired, HUGE TONSILS, inlarged spleen......I remember it WELL. My daughter on the other hand was only falling asleep twice a day(which is SO NOT NORM for her) she did this for about a week then was perfectly fine. Never a fever, or a sore throat....only a slight inflamatoin of her spleen.......the doc was surprised her monospot(blood test to diagnose) read positive. Said it was uncommon for a child that young to actually SHOW a positive test........I just thought I would share my experience......my doc could be a quack....who knows?? I have never had another flare up

Old 03-19-2004, 05:09 PM   #10

wozniak3 HB User

Thank you Danitom for your response. I just found out today my six year old daughter also has mono. Her symptoms were enlarged glands on her neck, very tired (which is also very unusual for her - she hasn't taken naps since she was one) enlarged tonsils and slightly enlarged spleen. Our situations sound very similar. They put my daughter on antibiotics for ten days and steriods for five days. She has not complained of a sore throat. How is your daughter doing now? Does anyone else have small children who have contracted this and how are they doing? My dr. said she could go back to school except for no gym class for a month. Any replies would be appreciated since I am not familiar with mono.

Old 03-20-2004, 06:03 PM   #11
(female)

Danitom HB User

wozniak- my daughter is doing fine now. She actually recovered quickly. I think she had it longer BEFORE she was diagnosed than we realized. As NaturalHealth said I was also surprised that your daughter was put on antibiotics and a steroid. My daughter wasn't given anything. Just told to rest and drink plenty if she didn't feel like eating.She also had to stay out of PE and contact sports for three weeks. I hope your daughter starts to feel better soon.

Closed Thread