It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 06:27 AM   #1

michael813 HB User
Post 3 year old coughing at night

My 3 year old daughter goes through peroids where she has a very dry harsh cough only at night, while she appears to be sleeping. During the day, she is totally fine, no cold or anything that would indicate a cough at night. It seems to happen for about a week then goes away then reappears a month later, any thoughts?

Old 09-08-2003, 07:49 AM   #2

worriedmommy HB User
I also have a 3 year old and we go through that alot. Have you beeen to an ENT to have her tonsils checked? Does she snore at all? My son has huge tonsils that are being removed in 2 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2003, 09:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

This is most likely nothing at all to worry about. It could easily be the result of mouth breathing, that then makes the throat very dry and when it becomes dry it becomes irritated and when irritation occurs, then coughing naturally occurs too.

You could try to ensure that she drinks enough before she goes to bed as lubrication.

Other than that, my other suggestion is that you give her one dose of the HOMEOPATHIC remedy DROSERA. This remedy is extremely good for exactly these types of dry or barking coughs that occur at night.

The remedy is non toxic and is not harmful in any way at all. You just need to let one pill or tablet dissolve under her tongue and in this situation, one dose would probably be enough.

Good luck

Old 09-08-2003, 09:31 AM   #4

michael813 HB User
I am not overly concerned that there is something wrong, my primary concern is her comfort and it wakes everyone up in the house. She breaths through her nose, I think. The strange thing is that it comes and goes.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:00 PM   #5

OneDayAtATime HB User
I have night coughing problems from a milk protein allergy. In some cases, excessive coughing can be an indication of asthma. You may want to discuss with an allergist to rule it out.

Old 10-16-2003, 10:31 AM   #6
(female)

HAAR HB User
Try removing any chlorinated tap water from her diet.
Buy bottled water for while for their juice etc.A lot cheaper than doctor visits and medications.

Our children suffered for ten months before we figured it out. Had so many trips to the doctors and so many medications.

Check your water company to ask if they chlorinate the water.

My children were sensitive/allergic to chlorine ingesting. It caused severe coughing mostly at night. So much our 3 year old (at the time) tooks hours to fall asleep.

Old 10-16-2003, 06:02 PM   #7

kslittledevil HB User
My daughter had a lot of problems with seasonal allergies which would lead to a dry cough, to sinusitis, ear infection, tonsilitis, and finally bronchitis and this would brew up overnight. She had her tonsils and adenoids taken out this past July and has done beautifully. She is also on Singular and Zyrtec for when the allergies are bad.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by michael813:
My 3 year old daughter goes through peroids where she has a very dry harsh cough only at night, while she appears to be sleeping. During the day, she is totally fine, no cold or anything that would indicate a cough at night. It seems to happen for about a week then goes away then reappears a month later, any thoughts?
One word...asthma. Inhalers will solve it most likely.

Quit smoking June 3 2003
Will be 39 in Feb.
Scared to turn 40

I am a work in progress...

Old 10-16-2003, 10:21 PM   #9
(female)

CDA HB User
my daughter now 4 coughed through the night for 3 years, it would come and go and she also breathed through her nose as her tonsils and adnoids were huge, she also had sleep apnia because of them, she had them both taken out just over two weeks ago and so far no coughing or snoring.... when she did wake in the night coughing I used to give her some water to drink and it used to clear her throat...

Old 10-16-2003, 11:47 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
Could have an allergy to something in her room, might even be the pillow.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif

Old 10-18-2003, 09:55 PM   #11
(female)

jboon HB User
My son had night coughing (on and off) for five years. Then he was diagnosed with asthma. I had always thought asthma was when someone couldn't breathe. Night coughing is apparently a common way for mild asthma to begin. As he got older, he started wheezing too. My son is now 11 and though his asthma is now more "typical" (wheezing and some difficulty breathing), he will still get night coughing sometimes. When he does, I have him use his inhaler and it stops almost immediately.

Old 10-19-2003, 02:00 PM   #12
Veteran

momof3mjt HB User
Wink

Crack open the window and let some fresh air come in. I notice that that helps me alot and my daughter too.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:27 PM   #13

Elliejon HB User
I had twins that were both asthmatic. One worse than the other. Coughing at night (dry hacking cough) is a sign of Asthma. Listen to your child's chest when she is quiet between coughing.... put your ear upon her chest and if you hear wheezing sounds (or whisteling) that could very well be what is going on. DO NOT put on the humidifier (like I did before I knew what was going on), it will make it worse. Her cough reflexs are trying to keep her airways open. Inhalers and medicine will do the trick. See a doctor. Good Luck.

Closed Thread