It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2003, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

HAAR HB User
Post Constant coughing may not be asthma or cough varient asthma please read what happend

Please check into this it was a life saver for our children and for my husband and I.

Are your children drinking chlorinated tap water with their juice formula straight from the tap etc?
If they are drinking chlorinated tap water at grandmas, daycare or where ever please read this.

(This is not a bottled water advertisment)

After ten months of my children coughing, severe coughing for our 3 year old so much that she couldn't sleep for hours and had to take cough meds and the doctors had to give her asthma meds and antibiotics from time to time as she would get worse and then better after the antibiotics.(better only a couple of days)

I finally figured out why. It took some serious investigating.

The first couple of months their pediaticians thought it was a cold, then something that was going around, then they started suggesting our 3 year old was developing asthma and our 6 year old have a sympathy cough. What a bunch of bunk!!!

This was 9 years ago, and after they had been coughing for TEN months the source of their coughing was our chlorinated tap water.

I had saved the dates of when the coughs started and checked with our water company and the dates matched!!!
Before that our water had never had chlorine put into it. My kids had been chlorine free all their lives.
I've discovered they are sensitive/allergic to chlorine only if it is ingested. Strangely pools do not effect them but of course they are not drinking it.
I've also look into the library and discovered the same symptoms listed in the library medical books that my kids had. Why did the doctors not know this!!!

Some people may think they have asthma or cough varient asthma and what they really need to do is just get rid of the chlorine that their kids are drinking.

During these last nine years they have accidently started drinking new sources of chlorine tap water from time to time without thinking (school, freinds home etc), The coughing would start and I would quiz them about what water they've been drinking (they'd forget all the coughing trouble they had 9 years ago)and sure enough it would be once again chlorine. As soon as they's stop drinking the chlorine the coughs would stop.

So over and over my initial findings would prove to be true.

Surely my kids can't be the only ones in the world with this sensitivity.

Maybe you or your child doen't need thousands of medications to stop their coughs and they just need to use bottled water instead of chlorine tap water.

Why just medicated it when you might just be able to cure it.

I hope this helps someone out there. I sure wish someone had come to my childrens aid before they had to suffer for ten months.

(This is not a bottled water advertisment)

Last edited by HAAR; 12-17-2003 at 10:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 12:41 PM   #2
(female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
Re: Constant coughing may not be asthma or cough varient asthma please read what happend

I think you just hit on something that's been happening at my house. I've spent the last 3 months going back and forth with my two oldest kids to the doctor for a cold/cough they just can't seem to get rid of.

We live in an area where they use chlorine in the tap water, and you can actually smell it as the water comes out of the tap. My 2 oldest both have cups of water by their beds at night because the air is really dry in their rooms, and there aren't enough outlets for humidifiers. Lately, they've been filling up their own cups in the bathroom, where we don't have a water purifier. We only have one in the kitchen. My youngest is only 2, so I give him his water from the kitchen. I haven't had the coughing problems with him at all.

Kind of makes me think. I'm going to fill up all cups from the kitchen tap with the filter and see what happens. I can also see that I'll be bringing this up with my pediatrician.
Thanks for sharing....I think you just saved me another needless trip to the doctor, not to mention about another $100 in prescriptions!
Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to KIDINSANITY For This Useful Post:
cat1958 (12-18-2010)
Old 12-17-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
(female)

HAAR HB User
Re: Constant coughing may not be asthma or cough varient asthma please read what happend

Yay,
I'm so happy that I may have finally helped someone with the information I keep putting on this health board on our experience.
Please get back to me so I know for sure.
How long have they been coughing?
I care.

Old 12-18-2003, 04:53 AM   #4
(female)

KIDINSANITY HB User

My kids have been coughing for almost 3 months, doing the meds for most of that time. I did notice that when I started giving them the purified water again, there is only minimal coughing, instead of all the time. I haven't mentioned it to the doctor as of yet, but we see him again in a couple days, so I will definitely mention it..I'll let you know what he says.

Old 12-21-2003, 07:46 PM   #5
(female)

HAAR HB User

Hello again,

Thats very interesting that the coughs have lessened. It's the same thing that happened here at first.

(I just reread your post and saw the coughing started when some of the unfiltered water was used instead.)( I guess my next 3 questions don't apply now.)

What was happening before 3 months ago when the coughs started?

Did you just move to a home with chlorine or did the water company start putting it into the water supply? (The latter is what happened to us).

Did they just start drinking tap water? Maybe they used to have only box juice or milk?

Call your water company and ask if they just started putting chlorine into the water supply. Thats what happened to us.

It went like this. The coughing was gone as soon as the first 24-48 hours had passed after stopping chlorine water drinking. Since we were still living at the home with chlorine a morning after a bath was still effecting our much smaller child who had been more ill with the cough the whole ten months. The morning after an evening bath she would have a mild cough. This patteren showed up because she did not get a bath every night. The coughing stopped completely after we moved in to our bran new home with its own well. And of course no chloriene.

Even tho they have never had coughing associated with pools with chlorine water, I attribute this continued coughing to the bathroom being so small ,warm water, and not ventilated well at all and likely because of her age playing and probably drinking some of the water while bathing was very likely.

The pediaticians my kids have seen for the last 16 years have never heard of this allergy/sensitivity. I'm not even sure if they ever believed me. I told them every thing that has happened when the chlorine thing first happened 9 years ago.

I've also researched this in Medical books at our local library and discovered testing that had been done on humans being in contact with chlorine and the symptoms the tests showed were the same symptoms as my kids had.

I believe there may be many people out there just always getting medicines forever from doctors who a lot of the time can only treat the symptoms and its up to us to figure out whats really is going on.
Keep in touch.

I'd be really interested if the kids baths are given every night.

Last edited by HAAR; 12-21-2003 at 08:00 PM. Reason: adding more information.

Closed Thread