It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 07:02 AM   #1

LF HB User
Post Baby shaking in sleep - need advice/help

Hi everyone.
Hope you're all well (And you're babies too)..

My baby son is 4 months old. He's had a mild cold and cough for a while now - probably about 2 months.

We've taken him to the DR, and they gave us anti-biotics, which we give him 3 x a day. He's a bit bunged up in his nose, but still manages to breathe without TOO many problems.

In the last few days, he's been shaking in his sleep and both my wife & I are very worried. We've been sitting on the edge of the bed just watching him - I'm SO fearful that he's going to stop breathing whilst we are sleeping!
It's very difficult to describe exactly what we're seeing, but I'll try..

He'll fall asleep (sometimes after a lot of toing & froing, sometimes after just a bit of rocking). he lays in his cot or his bouncer fully asleep - we can hear him breathing and although it's a bit heavy, he is taking each breath in & out.
Then, suddenly, every 10, 15, or 20 seconds, he will breath very loudly, almost like a snort, and his body will shake!! It's not constant - sometimes, his body will shake a bit, other times it's just his head, and others it's his whole body. It shakes so much that his matttress and the cot all shake with him.
It doesn't wake him and after each time, he continues to breath as he normally does (a bit heavy).

I've read other posts on here about this kind of stuff and ppl seem to think it's seizures. But what I've read, it doesn't sound the same as what our baby is doing.

Have nay of you heard or experienced this kind of behaviour?

ANy help or advice would be great.

Thanks for reading.

Luigi.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 08:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
These are just my thoughts as it does sound like a Dr needs to see him for this problem. Honestly, it sounds more like apnea. Babies will sometimes stop breathing but then their system kicks in making them take in alot of air. That would be the loud breath after quiet breathing.

My husband has sleep apnea and requires a CPAP machine at night. He would have those jerky movements when he started breathing again. The Dr told us that they are a neurological effect of not breathing and not a seizure. We were told that an apnea episode is any time you stop breathing for more than 15 seconds.

I would certainly check into it as you are right to be concerned. I hope this helps and good luck

------------------
Mindy )

Old 10-23-2003, 08:08 AM   #3

LF HB User
Hi Mindy - thanks very much for the reply.
I've never heard of apnea and am looking it up right now.

I'll keep this post uptodate on anything that happens.

Thanks again!

Old 10-28-2003, 08:21 AM   #4

worriedmommy HB User
Hi Luigi,
My 3 year old had apnea until we took out his tonsils recently. This does not sound like apnea to me. My son never shook, he just snored very loud and was pretty cranky when he would wake up in the morning. I know several children with seizures and it sounds more like that then sleep apnea. I would take your baby to the Dr. and have an EEg done, that will tell you for sure if it is seizures or not!

Old 10-29-2003, 08:49 AM   #5

LF HB User
Thanks for you reply.
The DR has basically saifd she doesn't think there's anything to worry about (Although I never know whether to believe DR's as I'm very sceptical of them).

However, for the last two nights, we've raised his head in his cot & he hasn't done the shaking/snorting thing since.

We've basically put a pillow beneath his sheet so he can't get caught up in it. I'm still keeping an eye on him to see if this stops the shakes or not.

We've also bought a baby monitor that has a small mat that you place underneath the mattress. If he stops breathing or moving for more than 20 seconds, an alarm goes off to warn us.

I've kind of calmed down a bit over worrying - especially as the pillow seems to have stopped the problem. But I'll keep a close eye.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Smile

Wonderful news!! I would like to give a word of caution though. A pillow under the sheet can be a smothering hazard. It might seem impossible but they can get the sheet off and get to the pillow. We have raised the head of the bed for our baby but it was due to severe reflux. We were told to put the pillow under the head of the mattress. HTH and good luck to your family

------------------
Mindy
Take your self esteem and own it, lest you spend your entire life searching for it in other people

Old 10-30-2003, 11:01 AM   #7

LF HB User
Thanks for the word of caution. When I say sheet - i mean the sheet that covers the whole bed. He can't lift that up - yet, but you've just alerted me to the fact that he may do one day soon.
The pillow beneath the mattress sounds like a good idea! I'll give that a shot this weekend - see if I can get it to work.
Unfortunately, the cot doesn't have a 'head' to lift up, but I can just placed the pillow beneath the matress and it should have the same affect.

Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2003, 02:38 AM   #8

LF HB User
Just thought I'd update.
The shaking has become worse - it's almost every day now.
My wife took him to the DR yesterday, but she just guesses at what if could be. She gave us nose drops to give him and said to come back next week if it hasn't cleared up. She says she will then give him a ventilator, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. I hate giving my baby drugs at such a young age.

Not suer what to do now. I've yet to find anyone who has heard the description of my babies symptoms and said "yeh, my baby had that".

I'm a bit worried and not sure where to go from here.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User
Has he been tested for RSV? My brothers kids have had this a couple of times and it is nothing to fool with. I would get to a Childrens Hospital if you feel the doctor is not understanding your complaints.

Distinct symptoms of RSV bronchiolitis include:

Rhinorrhea (runny nose)
Wheezing and coughing (can persist for several months in severe infections)
Irritability and restlessness (usually in those with impending respiratory failure)
Low grade fever (102°F); but temperatures can be as high as 104°F when another illness, such as otitis media is present.
Nasal flaring and retractions (intercostal, subcostal, and sternal) are indicative of airway obstruction. The chest may appear hyperexpanded and be hyperresonant to percussion. As a result of hyperexpansion of the lungs, the liver and spleen may be palpable several centimeters below the costal margins.
X-ray findings are not pathognomonic, but often show air trapping and hyperinflation or appear normal.8
Apnea, usually as an initial presenting symptom in short episodes. It occurs in approximately 20% to 25% of young infants. Circumoral and nailbed cyanosis (severely affected infant)
In the majority of patients with RSV bronchiolitis, symptoms resolve within five to seven days. However, this does not exclude the patient from being classified as "severely infected" and patients with underlying illness or disease states should be considered for early treatment with an antiviral agent.

Confirmation of RSV
For confirmation of RSV, proper testing of the patient's respiratory secretions will:

Positively identify RSV
Rule out bacterial infection
Nasopharyngeal secretions containing epithelial cells are necessary for positive diagnosis of severe RSV infections.8 Although viral isolation and subsequent culture from respiratory secretions may have long been considered the gold standard for diagnosing RSV, specific confirmation generally requires several days, presenting a dilemma for patients who may require immediate and aggressive treatment. A faster procedural time would allow patients diagnosed with RSV to begin therapy sooner, increasing their chances of a more rapid and complete recovery.

Rapid diagnostic tests (direct antigen) are the preferred diagnostic method since results are available within hours. Four such diagnostic test kits using immunofluorescence or enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays are essential to the rapid diagnosis of active RSV infection.

Closed Thread