It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Healthy weight for a 5-year-old?

My little cousin will turn 5 in a few short days, and I am a little concerned about her weight. Perhaps I am overreacting, but I just wanted to bring it up to you guys just to be sure.

She has a rather big belly, making her look almost pregnant , and she's about 60 pounds. The rest of her is fairly average sized, although her arms look a little pudgy too :3. I know she began eating fast food every day because her mom would take her to get a kids' meal form a local fast food restaurant afte rher swimming lessons. While she eats some fruits and vegetables, she also eats quite a bit of candy and other junk food. She still drinks a lot of milk and eats whenever she wants outside normal meals. Maybe these are normal eating habits, but I don't know...I don't know anything about young children except that they can be a pain right in the backside.

What do you guys say? Is 60 pounds a "healthy" weight for a 5-year-old girl? Any feedback would be appreciated greatly ^-^

Old 07-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User
Re: Healthy weight for a 5-year-old?

i think that is reasonable weight (i believe).. my nephew is 5 1/2 i think he is in the 50's... i think.. i forget.. lol
but he always had fast food when he was younger, until he was 2. now he has it the odd time.. so hes never been super skinny. just right he is (i think.. lol)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger
My little cousin will turn 5 in a few short days, and I am a little concerned about her weight. Perhaps I am overreacting, but I just wanted to bring it up to you guys just to be sure.

She has a rather big belly, making her look almost pregnant , and she's about 60 pounds. The rest of her is fairly average sized, although her arms look a little pudgy too :3. I know she began eating fast food every day because her mom would take her to get a kids' meal form a local fast food restaurant afte rher swimming lessons. While she eats some fruits and vegetables, she also eats quite a bit of candy and other junk food. She still drinks a lot of milk and eats whenever she wants outside normal meals. Maybe these are normal eating habits, but I don't know...I don't know anything about young children except that they can be a pain right in the backside.

What do you guys say? Is 60 pounds a "healthy" weight for a 5-year-old girl? Any feedback would be appreciated greatly ^-^

Hi There, IMO so it seems that kids now days are seeming bigger (weight as well as height) than what they used to be years ago. I am a 36 yo female and i know that when i was 5 and going into kindergarten i was of average height but weighed about 35 pounds. I have 3 daughters and they were all around the same height and weight as i when they started school as well.

I have a 5 yo nephew that i am currently raising and he is extremely tall for his age and weighs about 65 pounds. He looks very healthy.

As i am sure you know, kids are all different in the rate that they grow and at what ages. I would say that if the childs pediatrician has not voiced a concern with the childs weight then i wouldnt worry about it.

ValleyGurl

Old 07-23-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
(female)

Angela3 HB User

Hi, not to worry, my daughter is 4 and is 50 pounds. She has a medium build like her dad.

My 11 year old son is 70 pounds, he takes after my build. Im very petite.

I also have a 10 week old.... We dont know yet who she will take after.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I forgot to take into consideration my cousin's height...I know her father is a very tall man, and my cousin is, I think, I little taller than the average 5-year-old girl. I guess that will help to even out her weight.

Thank you guys for your advice. I appreciate it ^-^

Old 07-24-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Her weight sounds okay. I do have to say, fast food every single day is HORRIBLE for a kid, and should be limited for special occasions. Definately the worst thing you can do diet-wise is a daily happy-meal. My kids like them too, but we do the fast-food thing about once or twice a month, tops.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

A healthy weight is whatever you weigh when you eat a healthy, balanced diet and excersise regularly. Does she have lots of energy? Does she seem to have "cranky" times of the day about an hour after she eats junk food? That's not healthy. I don't worry about weight myself, I just worry about what I put into my DD and how active she stays. Fast food everyday is very bad for you. I don't ever eat it. I don't give my DD ANY junk food. Why fill there little bodies with empty calories that do more harm then good? I realize it's your cousin and there isn't so much you can do about it, Mom's don't like to be told what to do with their kids (I know because I am one :P). 60lbs seem a little much too me, but everyone is different. I think carrying any extra weight is not good for you, but like I said everybody is different and some peoples bodys are just designed that way.

Closed Thread