It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
(female)

mctommom HB User
7 yr old daughter with "wet" vagina issue

I have spent over the last year battling with my daughter. She firmly believes that her vagina is wet 24/7. We have taken her to her pediatrician as well as an urologist and there is no physical evidence to support this. She has also seen a therapist who has never seen such a symptom and has not helped us much. Her issue, as we call it, is causing us to be a disfunctional family as she will not get dressed in the mornings without tears and screams and yells of frustration as she tries to dry herself. She only wears a bikini bottom instead of underwear and has now started wearing a Goodnites (like a pull-up). Is there ayone out there who has ever heard of this or by any crazy chance....maybe even dealt with this issue. I know it is a form of OCD and possibly also a link to anxiety...HELP...we are suffering so!!!

Old 08-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User
Re: 7 yr old daughter with "wet" vagina issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctommom
I have spent over the last year battling with my daughter. She firmly believes that her vagina is wet 24/7. We have taken her to her pediatrician as well as an urologist and there is no physical evidence to support this. She has also seen a therapist who has never seen such a symptom and has not helped us much. Her issue, as we call it, is causing us to be a disfunctional family as she will not get dressed in the mornings without tears and screams and yells of frustration as she tries to dry herself. She only wears a bikini bottom instead of underwear and has now started wearing a Goodnites (like a pull-up). Is there ayone out there who has ever heard of this or by any crazy chance....maybe even dealt with this issue. I know it is a form of OCD and possibly also a link to anxiety...HELP...we are suffering so!!!
Hi There, Does she complain of being wet on the outside or does she truely feel and believe that she is wet on the inside? When she complains of it what exactly does she say? Also, what is the difference for her that she feels she needs to wear a bikini bottom verses her underwear?Does she only wear the goodnites when she goes to bed?

I do believe you are right on when you mentioned this behavior as being a form of OCD. Has the doctors tried maybe prescribing or suggesting a medication, ointment,cream, or even a form of spray or powder to apply in that area that would be virtually harmless and telling her that "this is YOUR medicine for your issue and it will make it all dry and better"? Seeing that the doctors cant find a thing wrong with her, instead of telling her that, tell her that you and the doctors believe her and to use her medicine and that it will get better and not be wet anymore. I guess it would be a sort of a reverse psychology thing. Maybe try buying some cornstarch for her to use as long as she doesnt have a pre exisitng condition that would be compromised by using the cornstarch.

It was just an idea. Keep us posted on your daughter.
ValleyGurl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 05:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

This really sounds like a rather strange issue for a seven year old child to have.Do you have any idea just where this all stemmed from?most seven year olds don't even know they actually HAVE a vagina as a specific thing.You know what I mean?Is there ANY chance at all that she might have been possibly touched there in some way by someone?Somehow she was made accutely aware of her vagina.Did she have any sort of problem before with this specific area when it was actually 'identified to her as part of her body?what kind of bothers me about this the most I think is just the fact that she is so aware of her vagina and relates that it is wet,you know?and also the obsessiveness about it that she is showingit is almost like someone pointed it out to her that she was wet and relates this as being bad with a bad experience.As in maybe if she was not wet,a certain bad or traumatic event would not have happened?I am honestly not trying to freak you out here, just giving you some info on the possible cause of where this came from.I would really try and question her a little more thoughroughly about the reason that she feels that she is even wet.(how did she suddenly come to this conclusion?did she notice it or was it pointed out to her by someone in some way)?it really does appear that this obsession may have stemmed from a specific event.i really really hope i am wrong but you really need to find out what triggered this.Think back to when this first started.had you noticed any difference in her overall behavior?Was she away somewhere from you visiting or had she met any new people?did she come home from somewhere and she seemed somehow"not right"?I hope this is all coming from some non event, but this really needs to be looked into.please keep us posted.FB

Last edited by feelbad; 08-04-2005 at 05:28 AM.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:23 AM   #4
(female)

Amberay HB User

I agree with Feelbad. She's looking at her vagina as such a devistating thing, with the way she reacts to it. I don't want to scare you either, but it does sound like a traumatic event could have occured. My first thought was OCD, but people with OCD tend to hide there obsessive symptoms ( I have OCD). I would look into this some more. This is not normal for a 7 year old. Keep us posted, we are here for you!

Old 08-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

mctommom HB User

Thank you so much for your input. I guess I should back up a bit and explain that she has always been obssessed about some issue. From the time she was 3 until 5 1/2 she would wear the same piece of clothing month after month for about 6 months at a time. We would buy 4 of the same dress and she would wear it day after day. She will not wear any shoes that ties...ONLY flip flops and snowboots...and we are in Ohio. She has never worn any pants that zip and/or button . She only sits on one piece of furniture in our family room and no one else is welcome unless she is ok with it. SHe must sit in the same seat in the van. She cried EVERYDAY EVERY RIDE in her carseat from age 1 until 4. SO I know this is OCD but the problem is no one knows quite how to get her unfocused off the vagina. And it is not like I can just dress her and get her on the school bus. She is too old for that. The therapist feel the bathing suit is because it is suppose to be wet so mentally it is "ok" to wear a bottom. She only wears the Goodnights at night except she did wear them twice this week. This is really bad this week because she has started a dance camp and has to get up and go each morning. We start school in 3 weeks (1st grade for her) am I am scared to death she won't be able to go.!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
(female)

Amberay HB User

If I were you I would go onto the OCD board. Someone there may beable to help. Good luck with your daughter!

Old 08-06-2005, 12:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Why would her belief that there is wetness cause her to be frustrated while dressing? I have numerous ocd's but cannot understand this one.

If her underwear was truly dry, there'd be no need for her to obsess further as she would have seen the truth. OCD and anxiety are filled with "what if's" and I don't see that here. Also those with OCD (especially children) keep their behaviors (rituals) secret, but relay their fears. Have you ever asked your daughter the reasons WHY she does the things she does? What are her fears? The more irrational the fear the closer the belief that this is OCD, and it CANNOT be diagnosed without the reasonings. Even the behaviors you mentioned of when she was a wee one, are not necessarily OCD!

I also don't understand how the idea of having your daughter wear a bikini bottom is going to help. If her problem is that she feels wetness, this type of material is only going to make her feel WETTER because there is no air circulation. If the problem was that the wetness goes on her clothing, a panty liner would make more sense. And if the whole problem is in her head, then the only treatment possible is cognitive behavioral therapy (which means facing the TRUTH). It doesn't sound like the "therapist" understands OCD at all.

Has your daughter been to a childrens' psychologist/psychiatrist? It really sounds like there could be a different psychological disturbance going on here, other than ocd.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

What if your would sprinkle some baby bower on the area and then it will feel dry. Dose she having any kind of itching in that area, like maybe laundy or bar soap that could cause her irration? How long has this been going on?
Karen

Old 08-11-2005, 06:51 PM   #9
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

It breaks my heart to say this, and I don't want to make you panic...

But it sounds like she was molested by someone... I couldn't say who... possibly by an older neighbor or friend?

I was molested, abused and raped by my stepfather from the time I was 6 until 14... and it sounded like something I went though. I didnt tell people, but it scared me to the point of wearing pads at all times!

Last edited by Tamaralynn; 08-11-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Old 08-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #10
(female)

Nancy005 HB User

I know that some people hide their ocd but when I was seven years old I did not hide mine. I would get water on my hands and scream I had germs. My sister also had a problem when she was younger with clothes bothering her. She only liked to wear silky underwear because she said the others bothered her and sometimes wouldn't get dressed because she said the clothes irritated her. I can relate to what your daughter is going through because I would feel things in my throat that wouldn't be there and I would feel things on my body that wouldn't be there!

Old 08-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
This post has been on my mind the last few day, I wonder is your daughter was sexually assalted in some way, I would take her to a counsler and have the counsler talk to her and feel it out. It is unusual for someone to have this kind of fear at such a young age. We had this kid on our block, he was only six at the time, and this kid did some sexual thing's to other children while they were swimming in the kiddy pool in my neighbors backyard. The mother came out to check on the kids and she was shocked at what she saw, it's not always adult's who do this kind of thing. I wish you all the luck in the world with her.
Karen W.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:52 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

So, just wondering how things are going mom?can you give an update for us,I am thinking of you.FB

Old 08-17-2005, 12:59 AM   #13
(female)

balivion HB User

I am thinking that your daughter is a lot like mine. Minus the wet vagina thing, my daughter does everything yours does. But, I do the same thing too. I have my own chair, my own space and no one is allowed to invade it unless I want them to, and I am 25 years old. My 6 year old has her own chair and her own space, and doesnt like to change anything in her life including her clothes unless she is forced. We have gone through stages where she would cry if I did not let her wear the same thing for weeks at a time. but, rather than buy 3-4 of the same thing I would run my water bill and electric bill up by washing the same outfit day after day so she wouldnt stink. I have also gone through compulsive washing and compulsive picking. Meaning she would pick at stuff that did not exist on her body until she left sores, and she would continuously wash her face and hands, and take 2-3 baths a day.
But, as far as the wet vagina goes, i am clueless. the first thing that popps into my mind is a sexual thing. The second thing that pops into my mind, is leakage of urine. It would depend on what kind of wetness she seems to be feeling that would cause me to wonder. If she is wanting to wear goodnights, maybe she feels as though she has urine on her all the time. And that is what she is meaning by "wet". I think if I were in your particular situation the first thing I would do is get a great big understanding of what she means by wet. you could do that just by asking her sometime other than when she is raging about it, to explain the wetness to you. If she starts talkin about wet as in urine, then I would get her some corn starch or some real absorbant toilet paper and tell her that its her special drying toilet paper and no one else can use it. If she starts talking about slimy wet, then I would start to wonder if she has been sexually abused, and get her into see someone about that.
Just my opinion, hope it helps
balivion

Old 08-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #14
(female)

pferg101 HB User

Are the goodnights wet at all in the morning? This may tell you if there is any leakage! My daughter has had bowel holding issues since last year & I had to put panty liners in her underwear when she wasn't going but, leaking! Ahhhh

Very frustrating! I think the clothing thing can be an autistic thing too! I would have a full psychological done on her to really see what is going on! The probably medication would help & therapy after that!

I am so sorry for you & the family too though too as it tears you apart not knowing how to help her! And you feel like you are in a whirlwind!

Hugs, Pam

Old 08-28-2005, 08:42 AM   #15
(female)

i_am_pauls_mom HB User

Could it be possible she has a UTI? (just a thought)

Closed Thread