It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

happie4 HB User
8 yr. old w/reflux and heartburn??

My 8 year old son has been complaining of heartburn and reflux for about 6 weeks now. We went through a bottle and a half of mylanta and now he's been on prevacid for about 5 days and still no change. He has it basically all day no matter what he eats, he even wakes up with it. He goes for an ultrasound and upper gi next week. He also complains that his breathing bothers him 2 or 3 times a day. Just wondering if anyone else has been through this. This just started out of the blue! He never had a problem with any of this before. Would appreciate any comments! Thanks!

Old 08-17-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
(female)

BYHOPE1113 HB User
Re: 8 yr. old w/reflux and heartburn??

I'm not a doctor, just a mother of two kids with Asthma, one mild, one moderate - severe, so the first thing that pops into my mind is:

Do you have a family history of Asthma?

My youngest daughter has moderate to severe asthma and acid reflux definately can trigger her asthma attacks as well as other things.

I'd recommend asking your doctor about it, especially if you have a family history of asthma.

My Family members with Asthma:

Daughter #1 - mild
Daughter #2 - moderate to severe
Mother-in-law - moderate to severe
Brother-In-law - moderate to severe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2005, 07:10 PM   #3
(female)

happie4 HB User

We do have a family history of asthma. Dr. said he had reactive airway when he was about 6 mo. old. He's just never had a problem unless he was sick with a cold, it would always go to his chest. As he's gotten older it has seemed to be less and less though. We tried the nebulizer for this and it didn't help. I'll speak to Dr. about the asthma. Thanks for your reply!

Old 08-18-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
(female)

BYHOPE1113 HB User

It might be that if they can get the acid reflux under control then it won't trigger his asthma (if that is what is going on).

My 2 1/2 year old daughter takes the following everyday for acid reflux:

Omeprazole (generic for Prilosec) (1 capsule in the a.m.)
Zantac (1 tsp in the p.m.)

I notice a BIG difference if I forget to give her the Zantac at night. I've learned to never leave home without it.

Glad I could help.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
(female)

happie4 HB User

Well, he had the upper gi and ultrasound and they couldn't find anything! He is still having all of the same symptoms as before and now he's also been having nausea from the prevacid. He's been on it for two weeks now and still no change. Pediatrician wants to wait a month and see how he does...more waiting... Next option is a pediatric gastro for an endoscopy. I'm hoping the prevacid will kick in before then!

Old 08-30-2005, 07:23 AM   #6
(female)

BYHOPE1113 HB User

My daughter had the upper GI done and it showed nothing.

She also had some kind of nuclear medicine test done where she drank a liquid that allowed them to watch as she digested the contents and showed any acid reflux that happened during the test. It didn't show any refluxing but it did show that she had a delayed reaction in her stomach emptying out therefore they treated her for acid reflux anyway. Her stomach should have been 100%empty after 45 minutes but at 1 1/2 hours she was only about 50% empty.

Prilosec in the daytime (sometimes I forget and I don't see any difference)
Zantac (liquid) at night (I can always tell when she misses a dose of Zantac, I have learned to not leave home without the Zantac.)

Old 09-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
(female)

happie4 HB User

Did they tell you what might have caused her stomach to do this? Or was she born with this? Also, does she have any side effects from the prilosec and zantac? Hope you don't mind all the questions, but I don't know anyone whose child is having these problems and it's nice to be able to ask someone who has been dealing with the same things! Thanks Again!

Old 09-01-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
(female)

BYHOPE1113 HB User

I certainly don't mind the questions, that's no problem.

No one ever said why she had refluxk, just that she more than likely did, based on her symptoms and the fact that the medicine helps eliminate her symptoms. I've seen any side effects from the prilosec or the zantac. In fact it's just the opposite. If I don't give her Zantac at night, I'm up all night because she can't sleep, she's fussy, whiny, coughting, restless, basically miserable.

Your Welcome. How's he doing this week?

Old 09-04-2005, 12:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Products with cafiene make the situation worse. You should eliminate colas, chocolate, etc. Also acidic foods like orange juice.

My husband has acid reflux and even though he takes prevacid, any cafiene drink will make him worse.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:47 AM   #10
(female)

happie4 HB User

He's still the same. Been on prevacid for 24 days now. With the heartburn and reflux, now he also has occasional headaches and stomachaches from the prevacid. He still has spells where he yawns and takes a deep breath every little bit and says his breathing bothers him. It's sort of like he's not getting a good breath. It just comes and goes with no real pattern. I have completely overhauled his diet. No juice, chocolate, caffeine, spicy foods, basically everything he likes! He seems to get heartburn no matter what he eats. We go back to Dr. in 2 weeks. Thanks for the replies!

Closed Thread