It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 11:03 PM   #1

Allfor1/1forall HB User
Never leave creams or topical agents lying around!

Was it Hobson's law that said What can go wrong will go wrong? I am 98% of the time ontop of it all health and safety wise with my child -

August has been Awful. First a boy hit my girl with his tennis racket across the nose bridge-NEVER do the city free lesson thing. Then she sat on the pool steps and developed a ugly rash on her thigh that spread to her underwear seam area -NEVER use an apartment pool. Then as I was trying to get rid of the rash with various topical creams for weeks with no success I made the Dermatologist appt.

Aparently it is Vacation month for Doctors so I bought some peroxide store brand-last time it worked on a rash behind the legs knees caught from the movie theater chair- Very Very worst Idea Never Never use a liquid on a kid- She asked me what the creams were I said medicine chemicals you never eat them they are not like whipping cream ( we had eaten whipping cream earlier in the week) then " what is peroxide?" It is a chemical it looks like water but is not water it is to clean skin -big mistake "if a kid asks you what something is that can be potentially harmful if ingested say it is poison and never touch it you could die then lock it away out of reach immediately" then we went to sleep next day after six flags and bath applied it to her rash left the bottle there uncapped for less than a minute to get fresh panties for her from dryer"Mommie my tummy is burning" thought it was just from eating pizza and to much water stomach sticking out strangely less than five minutes later emessis in the living room..I think I was on stupid mode it gets worse but just never leave anything they can access no matter how smart they are.

You cannot turn back the clock. And try not to cry in front of them cause then they will become scared of crying themselves and wont cry for the pain because they think you are going to cry too.

It may not be toxic but it is caustic and poison contol gave me bad directions and so did the afterhours nurses and the ER doctor in minor care who got their info from "Poison control as the gold standard"- They all need to go back to school or update themselves on journals-I am so mad at myself and everyone even our pcphy pedi can you imagine waitting 2 months for a gastroenterologist to see your kid when they are in constant pain woozy. Question why you are being sent to minor care if you have not seen a real doctor yet question how soon can the Gastroenterologist get here question make me an urgent care follow up with a Gastro... Don't agree to leave until you have what you need not because it is a new doctors shift coming on. If this has helped some parents then good learn from my stupidity. I wish I had a time machine.
Everyone is rooting for you.Don't give up!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Never leave creams or topical agents lying around!

I am really quite suprised that you recieved bad info from poison control as the one we have here in MN is absolutely wonderful.I think the problem was with the hydrogen peroxide itself.some would consider it a caustic and some would not.this actually would be best made diluted as much as possible with a glass or two of water and followed then by vomiting up with syrup of ipecac.I think you shpuld have taken your daughter to the very least here, her own doc.you simply cannot wait two whole months to have her looked at after something like this.He may want to do blood work to see if any body systems may have been affected.Get her in to see her own doc as soon as possible.This should have been done as soon as the day after this event actually happened if the hosp was too stupid to have a doc even check her out.i am totally lost as to just what your question was all about in the bottom paragraph,it does not make any sense??

One thing to make sure you ALWAYs have on hand is a bottle of syrup of ipecac for every child you have in your home.This could really save your childs life.It did ours.but before you ever use it, make a call to poison control to ask them if it is okay as in some situations causing vomiting can actually cause more harm.Have the poison control # listed by your phone.Calling 911 is not the same.I am glad things weren't more traumatic for you.Marcia

Closed Thread