It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
(female)

nickia HB User
Daughter eats non food items....Pica?

Hi...
I have a two yr old girl who is constantly eating stuff she shouldnt. Most of the time its crayons and ANY paper item. But she will put everything in her mouth and try to eat it. Now I understand that all babies put stuff in their mouth, but she will be 3 in December. I thought for sure that by now she would have outgrown all this. The last few months its just gotten worse. I saw a short artice about Pica. While it didnt really clarify any good info for me, I decided to take my daughter to a doctor. When I told him what was going on he looked at me like I was nuts. If I wasnt so concerned, Id laugh about his reaction. So what does he do??? He goes in his office and starts to pull out all his medical books. He reads through 5 of them and then proceeds to order all these different tests. Blood work, stool samples, a referral for a nutrionist, and another for a psych evaluation. Lovely. He said after we get all the results back we will go from there. How reassuring.
Anyways just wanted to vent and also find out if anyones kids had any of the same problems. All feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
(female)

LadyoftheLake HB User
Re: Daughter eats non food items....Pica?

I know my son was a paper eater for a long time, I still catch him nibbling on pieces of paper every now and then.

Perhaps your daughter has a defincey, sometimes children especially babies and young toddlers who are lacking something start eating weird things.

I remember when I was pregnant, I was filling out a paper and it asked me if I had cravings for paper, cigeratte butts, ice cubes, glue...and a bunch more weird stuff. I asked my doctor about that question and he said that pregnant women who are lacking certain nutrients get cravings for those things since some of them have those nutrients.

The same goes for children I guess. Anyway I'm sure your doctor knows this, other wise he wouldn't be putting you through all those tests.

In the meantime since your daughter is 2yrs old, why don't you start her on vitamins. It can't hurt, and maybe she might stop eating odd things that way you can have a head start to see if she is lacking something in her diet or if it is just a stage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #3

KritterKeeper HB User

It does sound as if your pediatrician is a bit insensitive but at least he did look it up and follow thru. It could very well be some sort of vitamin/mineral deficiency or yes, even an emotional/ behavioral issue. You may want to talk with friends and ask for their reccommendations for another dr you can feel comfortable talking with and is willing to take the timme to get to know you and your daughter. Granted that's like looking for a needle in a haystack but if you can find one they're pure gold!

Old 08-25-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
(female)

nickia HB User

Thanks for the responses...
My daughter is taking vitamins Lady...im hoping that the test results will give more insight to what the problem is. I also was going to try to give her pediasure in the morning until I saw the cost. Just about had a heart attack. LOL. But after doing some research on the net I found out I can give her Carnation Instant Breakfast instead. ALLOT cheaper.

Kritter: Thanks for the advice. I know how great it is to have a good doctor. That being said, I dont have any choice of doctors. We are military and pretty much tied into the doctors she can see.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

Ovaltine has lots of vitamins also. You might do a comparison in the store between that and the Carnation. Not sure what one has more.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

Okay... this is SOOOOOOO embarrassing, but I think it's habit. I STILL find myself chewing on paper and rubber bands. When I was little, I'd eat candle wax, glue, and pencil erasers, not to mention biting the heck out of my finger nails. This lasted til I was about 7 or so and I had to conciously break myself of it. I think I've just always had a bit of an oral fixation.
DD born 3/24/2005

Closed Thread