It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
(female)

LynneJW HB User
3 year old vomiting at night

My daughter just turned 3, and for the past few weeks has been waking up between 1am-2am screaming "OW OW OW OW". I ask her where her bo-bo (pain) is, and she never says. I have been wondering if it's a sinus thing, she blows her nose (not often, only when she cries) but not much ever comes out, you can just sort of hear things rumbling in her nose, if that makes sense. Anyway, last night and tonight, at the same time, she woke up and started gagging and threw up. Fine during the day, normal appetite, although she says her milk tastes funny (it's fine). She had an MMR vaccine 6 days ago, and had a slight fever today, which was quickly brought down by advil. During her chek up last week, I aksed the doc about this night time "OW OW OW" yelling, but she didn't have an answer.
Thanks for your input!
I forgot to add, she does not have asthma, but does have a contact allergy to grass..breaks out in hives if she rolls on the grass.

Last edited by LynneJW; 09-05-2005 at 11:18 PM.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User
Re: 3 year old vomiting at night

It could be a virus. These can last a week or longer. But if it keeps happening you'll have to find a doctor who can answer your questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2005, 04:33 AM   #3
Inactive

off kilter HB User

My son was doing that when we were giving him a certain juice mix. One of those 100% juices but with 4 or 5 different juices in it. We figured out and it took a while that he was doing it on days he had that juice. There must have been something in there that bothered him. Hope this helps

Old 09-16-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

If a child wakes up in the middle of the night like that yelling ow ow ow, something is definitely up that needs to be fully evaluated,honestly.And the vomiting should also be looked into as it that is not something that normally will happen in the middle of the night either.I don't want to freak you out here but my son was Dxed at age 12 with a liver and kidney problem that had been going on since he was actually still inside the womb.He was down to only 20% of his liver function left by the time he really actually showed any big signs of being sick at all.he would vomit at wierd times,and complain of stomach aches but these usually seemed to happen usually when he was supposed to do something that he really did not want to do like clean his room.I really do think that you need to push your childs doc into looking into this a little more in depth.my sons ped was actually known for her ability to Dx diseases in children but she totally missed this nasty crap going on in my son.it wasn't until he started seeing our regular family doc that things started to be uncovered.The thing is is that most docs expect more "normal" children to just need regular check ups that do not require much more in depth type testing like blood work ups on the kidneys and liver.having a very sick child or one that is actually developing a rather nasty medical problem is really not something they really 'expect" to see so they just assume everything is fine until the crap hits the fan and then they have a big wake up call.Just because your child looks normal and the doc expects her to be normal does not mean at all that she truely is normal.do you know what I mean?If you honestly feel that something is just 'not right" by all means, folow that mommys instinct and do whatever you have to do to really find out if there is actually something going on.you will probably have to push this with her doc but you really need to follow up on this.you are the only one who can speak for your daughter right now and you need to advocate for her as she has no one else here who is really looking out for her like her mother does.Just ask her doc to do a simple metabolic workup that includes everything.It is just a matter of drawing blood and sending it out for tests.If nothing else, you will possibly rule out any real medical cause for her symptoms.and that alone is worth any hassle you may get from the doc,trust me.also, if her doc thinks your just a paranoid mom and does not follow up on this,find another doc or when she wakes up with the ow ow ow again,scoop her up and take her to the nearest ED and have her evaluated there.They can do amazing things there and would be able to quickly determine if there is indeed a medical cause for her sudden and reoccuring pain.hopefully everything is just fine and this can be attributed to something minor,but please just cover all the bases here as with some congenital or aquired diseases, early detection is a huge thing and early treatment can be vial.I really did not type this to freak you out honestly, just to inform you of some possibilities here.always follow your instincts when you think something is just not normal or quite right with any of your children,quite honestly, no one will ever know as much about your child and their normal behavior as you and the childs father will.my instincts have been pretty much right on over the years in dealing with my sons ongoing medical issues.I amsure yours is too.please let me know how things are going.make that appt with her doc today in order to get the ball rolling here.good luck,marcia

Old 09-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
(female)

mamominva HB User

I would definately talk with your doctor but it kind of sounds like what occured with my son and he turned out to have acid reflux. We had to give him some medicine to help neutralize the stomach acid and modified his diet some and we haven't had an issue with it since. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
(female)

claste HB User

i too have had problems with my daughter aged 4, she was being sick after an hour to two hours of being in bed, she complains of stomach aches, i think her problems are down to having some night terrors and these have made her scared of going to bed, so the sickness could be down to anxiety, however she was a bit snuffly so i put olbas oil on her pyjamas, she no longer has her milk and biscuit before bed and we leave her door wide open and (touch wood) no sickness for two weeks!

Old 09-19-2005, 04:20 PM   #7
(female)

LynneJW HB User

I gave her some Reactine for Kids (non-drowsy allergy med that lasts 24 hours) and that night she slept fine. I gave it to her a few days in a row and she slept like a log, also no snoring. Twice I didn't give it to her, she woke up crying and rubbing her nose, and spent the rest of the night snoring and snuffling. I have been checking the pollen report on the weather network, and on the days when it's predicted to be high, I keep her window closed and give her the medicine.

Closed Thread