It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User
Question Is my 9 year old starting her period?

My daughter just turned 9 this past June. Today she came home from school & said she started her period. There was ony like a few drops of blood when she wiped at school she said. At home there was only 1 to 2 drops when she wiped. Not even enough to get on the pad she was wearing. Is this her period? Seems a bit young to me considering I was 13 when I started. Also if it is her period shouldn't there be more blood? I don't know if I need to take her to the doctor or not. I could use some advice on this please!

Old 09-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
Re: Is my 9 year old starting her period?

Hi there. Usually daughters menstrate close to the age their mothers did. But there are always exceptions. Also are you black or hispanic. For some reason different races tend to menstrate earlier. I know it is possible for a 9 year old to start her period my friends little sister did but she is also black. I started my period at 12 1/2 and I am 1/2 spanish. My mom also started around that time. I remember when I first got my period it was a normal period not just a couple spots of blood. I would just wait it out and see what happens next month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I started at age 10, and that was quite a few years ago (!). From all that I've read, with changing nutrition and exercise levels from generation to generation, many girls are getting their period at very young ages.

Old 09-24-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
Inactive

off kilter HB User

I'm 48 now I started at 8&1/2 but my Mom was 16 when she started hers, boy was she suprised when i started mine there were somes signs she didn't notice. Does your daughter have breast buds( little tender bumps on her chest). has she put on weight recently? pubic hair? hair under arms? body oder? They are all signs hormones are kicking in. Turns out my paternal grandma had started around age 8 or 9 so i must have taken after her.

Old 09-24-2005, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User

Thanks for all your replies. I took my daughter to the doctor today & come to find out it is not her period. It is a UTI. There was blood in her urine. They put her on antibiotics. Needless to say when I take my child to school Monday I will be having a long talk with the teacher considering she told my daughter it was her period & sent her in the bathroom with a pad, never even calling me. She also told my daughter that now she is a woman. My daughter didn't even know how to put the pad on. I think she should have called me cause I could have gotten her to the doctor & got her treated sooner. I am going to tell the teacher it is not her place to diagnose my child's condition & the next time she is to call me right away.

Chris

Old 09-24-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
Inactive

off kilter HB User

You go Mom!!! Maybe a strongly worded letter from the Dr. would bring the point home, And P.S this is a perfect time to have that little talk with your daughter. It's also a good time to explain that as things come up, her best person to go to for advice is MOM. This incident will be worth more then a few chuckles years down the road, I know that may be hard to see know.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I agree with Off Kilter...definitely talk to your daughter about her cycle before it really happens. I got my first period when I was 10, and my mother never told me about how my "aunt Flo" would come to visit me. When it happened to me, it wasn't just a couple of droplets...there was a LOT of blood. I was in hysterics and I cried for the entire day because I thought I was dying. Trust me, it's not fun to have that surprise you at such a young age.

Closed Thread