It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

PhyllisAnn HB User
Grandson's testicles are swollen....

I'm taking both grandsons to the dr. office tomorrow anyway..for their flu shots..but my daughter just noticed his testicles are very swollen. He's three years old..and what she suspects is...that he's been riding his bicycle a lot lately. Could that be it..or something more serious? And anyone else encountered this problem with their child? He's not complaining of pain. Wondered if he fell..and hurt himself..or just riding the bike long periods of time caused it? And will just putting ice on it..and laying off the bike for a while help..or you think he needs antibiotics or meds? We will know tomorrow for sure..but I was just concerned and curious if anyone else has had problems with their sons or grandsons?

Old 10-24-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
Inactive

off kilter HB User
Re: Grandson's testicles are swollen....

It might be a hydrocele- which is a collection of fluid around the testicle. My son has had two removed one at age 5 and again at age 7 on the other side, in both cases the hydrocele were associated with hernias.
Fluid from the body drains down to fill the area around the testicle, making a balloon-like sac.
Only males can get hydroceles. It is common in newborn infants.
Since it is not painful, children usually don't show signs of discomfort or illness. Parents usually notice a swelling in the scrotum.
If it doesn't go away, the child will probably need either aspiration or surgery.
The neck of the balloon often closes by itself by the time the child is 1 year old.
Doctors know of no way to prevent hydroceles. Please keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
(female)

PhyllisAnn HB User

Thanks so much off kilter for the info. I know he won't be a happy camper if the dr. has to aspirate...but you are saying it might go down on it's own..and its not dangerous in any way? I will let you all know what the dr. does.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
Inactive

off kilter HB User

I'm just guessing. My son had to have the hernias repaired so they took care of the hydrocele at the same time. After my son's surgery one of my brother in- laws said he had a hydrcele in his 20's. He said the hydrocele did not hurt at all . My son had pain because the testicle was traveling up into the abdomen through the opening ( hernia) my son had what is called a Communicating hydrocele.A communicating hydrocele will fluctuate in size, getting smaller at night while lying flat, and increasing in size during more active periods.

There are two types of hydroceles:

Communicating hydrocele -- This is a hydrocele that has contact (or communication) with the fluids of the abdominal cavity. A communicating hydrocele is caused by the failure of the processus vaginalis (the thin membrane that extends through the inguinal canal and descends into the scrotum) to close completely during prenatal development. If this membrane remains open, there is a potential for both a hernia and a hydrocele to develop.
Non-communicating hydrocele -- This condition might be present at birth or might develop years later for no obvious reason. A non-communicating hydrocele usually remains the same size or has a very slow growth.

Last edited by off kilter; 10-24-2005 at 07:25 PM.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
(female)

PhyllisAnn HB User

Just to let you know..this morning..his testicles..scrotum was still swollen but not as bad...and when he got to the dr's office..it was back to normal. So strange. Well..the dr. tried to get my grandson to cough..and he refused. He's 3 1/2 and his older brother and I imitated a cough to get him to do it..and he got stubborn on us..lol. The dr. thinks it could be a hernia..but hard to tell..without him coughing. So he said to just keep an eye on it.and if it does it again...to bring him again. He's not in any pain...so we'll just wait and watch. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:28 AM   #6
Inactive

off kilter HB User

hernias are hard to tell. remember if there is a small opening things can go up and back down. The amt. of swelling my son had would change all the time. It makes sense standing up for a long time or straining would increase the swelling.My son had a hernia on both sides, one gave him no trouble at all. We only noticed it from the swelling. The other one not only had the swelling but hurt him at times. He would be crying and when we looked one side of the sack would look empty as the testicle had traveled up into the abdomen. Ouch! It would come down when he cried and strained making the pain go away. You can do a web search on the general topic. I wouldn't worry about it, it's generally not dangerous. The only bad thing that could happen would be a loop of intestine could get stuck in the opening. but it's not something that you would miss. It is incredibly painful He would be screaming,maybe vomiting. It's the type of thing you would rush him to ER for anyways. My son can't follow simple direction like cough and does not speak so we had to go with our instinct something was wrong we were lucky to have a good Dr. who sent us to a pediatric urologist who found it impossible to exam our son but put alot of stock in parent observation. We were right both times about the hernias. Good luck, be patient 99.9% of the time waiting is the best thing, you don't want to put him through a operation if you don't have to.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
(female)

PhyllisAnn HB User

Thanks again for the reply..and yes, we'll just wait and see. How is was your son again..when all this happened? How old is he now? Just curious. Our grandson is 3 1/2. And today..so far..so good. Nothing out of the ordinary today.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:32 AM   #8
Inactive

off kilter HB User

Paul will be 8 in Jan. Looking back the only clue we had when he was a infant that we might have a future problem was he had a undecended testicle. Paul's scrotum would look 1/2 empty on one side. sometimes it looked like he had 1 testicle ,somedays there would be 2 . A boy’s testes normally begin life up in the abdomen. Before birth, they normally descend through a flexible tube, called the inguinal canal, and end up in the scrotum. it's not uncommon. Usually by 4 months of age the inguinal canel closes and the testicles take their rightful place in the sack. If the inguinal canel does not close completely the child has a herina. Depening on the size of the opening remaining , fluid,testicle or intestine can move back and forth,up and down through the opening.
We thought his opening had closed and at least when ever I changed him after 6 months or so I thought I saw 2 testicles. around age 5 he started having episodes of screaming in pain,not wanting me to touch that area, He is disabled and could not explain what the problem was. You know how kids act when they have a bad diaper rash and they don't want you to touch them even to clean them or put on diaper cream, that's the way he was acting but he had no rash. He had a number of those episodes before we noticed the sack on one side looked empty sometimes,swollen at other times and took him to the doctor. he found a hugh hernia on the side and repaired it. 2 years later when Paul was 7 we noticed swelling on the other side that would come and go much like your grandson. We also noticed a little swelling that came and went in his lower abdomen ( a few inches up and over from his penis) No pain, just the puffyness. We took him to the Dr. who operated and found a much smaller hernia on the other side. Paul does not talk and is still in diapers so he was no help in figuring out what the problem was. We were just lucky we caught it early and had a super Dr.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:55 PM   #9
(female)

PhyllisAnn HB User

Well...we are keeping an eye on it. Thanks for all the replies. I wish you well for you and your family!

Closed Thread