It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User
Weight and Odor in a young child

My youngest son is 7 years old he was so skinny and tall, just lately(these last few months) his eating habits have picked up alot. I thought that was great but he went from a size six in pants to a size seven in pants in the matter of 2 months..He is now eating nonstop a little here and a little there. No one else sees a problem with this should i be worried about this???He's weighs about 57 pounds.It doesn't matter what kind of food it is goodies to fruit to a whole meal.I'm trying to set a limit but he acts like i'm starving him if i don't feed him these things.
Another problem that i have notice just latley he seems to have a body odor.I was bathing him every other day because he has such dry skin but now i bath him everyday.I also have bought him deodorant.Is this normal for a child this young??Sometimes he does sweats but even when he doesn't he still has a odor.I just don't want him going to school smelling like a stinky kid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User
Re: Weight and Odor in a young child

Quote:
Originally Posted by daystar91
My youngest son is 7 years old he was so skinny and tall, just lately(these last few months) his eating habits have picked up alot. I thought that was great but he went from a size six in pants to a size seven in pants in the matter of 2 months..He is now eating nonstop a little here and a little there. No one else sees a problem with this should i be worried about this???He's weighs about 57 pounds.It doesn't matter what kind of food it is goodies to fruit to a whole meal.I'm trying to set a limit but he acts like i'm starving him if i don't feed him these things.
Another problem that i have notice just latley he seems to have a body odor.I was bathing him every other day because he has such dry skin but now i bath him everyday.I also have bought him deodorant.Is this normal for a child this young??Sometimes he does sweats but even when he doesn't he still has a odor.I just don't want him going to school smelling like a stinky kid.
daystar, I really dont see a big problem with your childs weight for his age nor do i see it abnormal for him to go up a pant size in 2 months. He is at the age where alot of boys will/can have a major growth spurt.

I had custody of my nephew for about a year, he turned 5 the last day of March and at that time he was wearing a size 7 pants. 4 months later while buying school clothes i had to buy a size 10! So he had a major growth spurt to say the least! This child is also very tall, so he doesnt look fat at all.

Every child is so different and will grow and have growth spurts at different times. If you are concerned with your childs weight and eating habits i would just be sure that he eats well balanced meals and should he be hungry between meals i would offer him healthy snacks such as fruit.

As far as his body odor....what is it you are smelling? Is it under arm odor?
Every person, even children have there own "odor" with some being stronger and more apparent than others. You are doing the right thing by bathing him daily as well as providing him with under arm deoderant, just be sure it is a deoderant that works well for him. Some deoderants just dont work for some people.

Should his body odor become worse or if you seem to be able to not control it then i would make a visit to the pediatrician to find out why a child of his age would have such an odor. I know that sometimes (but rarely) a child with an "adult" body odor issue may suffer from a condition called Precocious Puberty (this is when a child will go into puberty very early) however there would be other obvious symptoms as well such as: major growth spurt, genital area would appear to be maturing, as well as hair growth.

Sounds liike you are a great mom and that you are already doing everything right. Try not to worry yourself to much!

Valley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread