It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

carouselhorse1 HB User
5 year with constant urinary tract infections

I have a 6 year old daughter with constant uti's caused from constipation. Alexis has had 6 uti's this year alone and about that many last year. This started when she was 3 years old. I have took her for a renal ultra sound and vcug that came back negative we have to go for another one. One of my dauhters teachers told me her daughter had the same thing but she cant rememebr the real name for it she remembers that in a non drs terms its abnormal bladder condition. My daughter is on a antibotic so we can prevent another uti. Anyone with help please tell me or atleast if anyone knows the name of the condition please tell me I want to get answers for my daughter.I cant take the pain that she is induring.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: 5 year with constant urinary tract infections

Renal reflux? A coworkers daughter had some sort of problem where the urine backed back up into the kidney or bladder and caused an infection...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Using toilet paper the right way will make a difference. Never wipe from back to front. Drinking plenty of "water" will make a difference. Soft drinks, too many sweet drinks and too little water is not good.

Drinking pure cranberry juice will help. The cranberry drinks do not have enough real juice to be of value.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
Inactive

Luka Mullens HB User

Posterior urethral valves or vesicoureteral reflux?

But seeing that she gets her UTI's from constipation, I doubt that is the problem. Most UTI are caused by E-coli, a bacteria that lives in the anus (among other places) so wiping her bottom correctly and keeping it clean, is extremely important!
Does she get treated for the constipation?

L.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
(female)

elddiwtsm HB User

My 5 1/2 yr old had chronic UTI's for almost 2 years. She, too, went through all the tests you mentioned and more. ALL came out negative. The best thing that happened was the diagnosis that it was caused by constipation and the size of her bowels. She was always regular so it was hard to diagnose it. But the size is what caused it. Her stools were so large while in the colon that it prevented her from emptying her bladder completely. Just a small amount of urine left in the bladder can cause the bacteria to multiply at an incredibly alarming rate. We are now down from Miralax everyday to every other day. She has been clean for several months now. My advice is to be very vigilant about monitoring her bowel movements. We started out with sitting on the potty at the same time everyday for 15 minutes. She didn't have to go but she had to try. It gave her a relaxed time to take care of things so she didn't dread going. Now, she doesn't fight it and actually will go without being urged.
I know how you feel. It is very hard to watch your little girl go through this.
Hang in there. My prayers are with your daughter and you. MsTwiddle

Old 12-05-2005, 10:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Does your daughter take baths. My daughter had this bladder prolem at a young age. frequent infections. We took hert o a urologist who suggested to no longer let her take baths. showers only. It helped a great deal.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #7
(female)

carouselhorse1 HB User

thank you for for the tip I will look into that.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
(female)

carouselhorse1 HB User

It sounds like what my daughter is going threw but my daughter isnt regular yet and she is on mirolax with a antibotic everyday so she she doesnt get another uti. Thank you for your prayers its appriecated.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:36 AM   #9
Inactive

Luka Mullens HB User

Does the Miralax make her poop rather mushy? Depending on the antibiotic she is taken, it will also speed up the mobility of her bowels quite a bit and it changes the bacterial content of the poop (less good bacteria). The mushy poop (more difficult to wipe) and the changed bacterial content of the poop, and the fact that she has constipation all are possible causes for frequent UTI's.
My daughter takes Miralax and has taken antibiotics to speed up her bowels and we were advised to take probiotics to balance the culture of bacteria. (Which means she take a big dose of the bacteria you would normally find in yoghurt...)
We are quite lucky though because even though my daughter has frequent accidents (both poop and pee) she never ever had an UTI!

Then there is the simple fact that little girls urethrea is simply not as developed as an adults. Little girls in general get an UTI a lot easier, and for some reason, once they have one, it is easy to come back (big pain in the bottom!).

Good luck!

L.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

have they ever suggested that she might have. Interstitial Cystitus?

Closed Thread