It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
(female)

ddtigrbaby HB User
7 year old with upper left side pain

My 7 year old daughter has had several bladder infections including blood in her urine off and on over the years and now she's been complaining about pain in her upper left side of her stomach/side towards her back. She's been having this problem for about the last three weeks now. As long as she's on Motrin she's alot better but I dont want her to take it that long lol She's tried several antibiotics for her last bladder infection but they dont seem to quite get it all. I got a referal to get her kidney and bladder checked (ultrasound etc...) and they werent going to be able to get her in until after Christmas. I decided to take her to the ER instead because she's been getting fevers and chills (maybe another sickness with it? Not sure) So they tested her kidneys and bladder. Her Kidney showed up normal. They said they found crystals in her bladder (or gall bladder?) and they want her to see her regular doctor to get another test that I cant seem to remember the name of right now. He said that its very rare for a 7 year old to have this. Does anyone have any idea what else could be wrong or do you have any advice on what to do next? It seems like they just keep giving her antibiotics and sending her on her way. I dont want to keep doing that to her. I keep giving her Motrin every 6-8 hours. Once it wears off she is bawling, can barely move and says that her left side hurts and it hurts for her to breath. If its not her kidney, what else could it be? Thanks! )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User
Re: 7 year old with upper left side pain

well, im not sure.. But,, Has she tried Cipro? (anti inflammatory, i think), I used it myself. (for my many bladder infections, (i had 1 a month from 4yrs-12 yrs old). It asctually, cured them.. I havent had one since i was 12.. It works good.:d (it might also help with the pain also, since it is a anti inflammatory..

Old 12-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
(female)

ddtigrbaby HB User

Cipro is an antibiotic isnt it? I think the doctor said that kids shouldnt be on it. I did find out however that she can only take 3 different antibiotics because her body doesnt respond to any others. She has gotten better after she was on Feradentin (I think thats how its spelled lol) When she went to the ER they did an ultrasound of her kidneys and said that nothing was wrong there. The next day her left side pain went away. They said that that might happen because she could also be passing stones or something. I did mention before that she has crystals in her gallbladder. Now they want to do a test called VCUG? I'm pretty sure thats what its called. I just find it strange that she went from extreme constant pain to no pain at all in one day? Weird. Its just so hard when its your child and you cant seem to do anything about it. Thanks for writing whiteluluflower!

Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

lol, maybe it is a antbiotic.. i havent taken it for awhile.. hmm. i guess ur right.. lol
With me I wasnt able to take Penicillin either ( Allergic to it)

i started had cipro, whrn i was 10/11.. i think.. So i was a kid.. I used it for a couple months, (whenever i got infection).. I dont think the doc ever said kids shouldnt use it.. I used it. and it worked GREAT!!
Cipro is used for many different things.. so i dont know why kids wouldnt be allowed to be on it (although, ive heard they shouldnt... yet i was on it..

Same as another med i was on, at 15.. it has a warning, saying, no one under 18 should use that medication.. lol (im still currently on it too..)

Old 12-20-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
(female)

ddtigrbaby HB User

well I'm going to take her today for an x-ray of her kidneys, bladder etc...they just put her on another antibiotic for 10 days. Then they'll do a urine test and THEN the VCUG test.
I'm not sure how old you are now but do you still get bladder infections? I used to get them all the time. The doctor was going to put me on a year-long antibiotic but decided to try something else first. He told me to stay off sugar and caffeine for at least nine months straight. (caffeine was REALLY hard on my bladder for some reason) so I tried that and it worked! I havent had a bladder infection in over 2 years now.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am pretty sure that the crystals they were referring to are actually located in the bladder not the gall bladder.as far as I know,the only thing you can get in the GB is stones but you CAN get crystals in the bladder.I am pretty sure this is what they ment.plus,it does not sound from what you have stated that they actually did any sort of tests on the actual GB??what exactly is that VCUG test?when i was like wayyy back like in sixth grade?one of my girlfriends had crystals in her bladder but for the life of me I cannot seem to recall the actual reason or what they did for her(sorry) i just thought of her when I saw the crystals and bladder thing.i hope they can find the cause here soon.it is sooo hard to watch your child suffer thru stuff like this.good luck and please keep us posted.marcia

Old 12-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
(female)

ddtigrbaby HB User

Its so funny that you mention the crystals in the bladder because thats what I told my husband when he asked about her results. I could have sworn that they said crystals in the bladder but when he tried to do some research online he said that whenever he looked that up he could only find crystals in bladders of animals lol so then he just assumed that they meant in the gallbladder. I really dont know on that one now lol
I think VCUG is a more thorough test of several organs (not sure on the details) I do know that they will have to insert a catheder(however you spell it lol) The pain in her upper left side has subsided for now but just the fact that she gets recurring bladder infections and has these crystals makes me want to get a thorough check on her anyway. I wish you were still in contact with that friend of yours who had the crystals too just to get an idea of what happened with that. Thanks for writing! )

Old 12-26-2005, 04:19 AM   #8
(female)

MissHelen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtigrbaby
Cipro is an antibiotic isnt it? I think the doctor said that kids shouldnt be on it. I did find out however that she can only take 3 different antibiotics because her body doesnt respond to any others. She has gotten better after she was on Feradentin (I think thats how its spelled lol) When she went to the ER they did an ultrasound of her kidneys and said that nothing was wrong there. The next day her left side pain went away. They said that that might happen because she could also be passing stones or something. I did mention before that she has crystals in her gallbladder. Now they want to do a test called VCUG? I'm pretty sure thats what its called. I just find it strange that she went from extreme constant pain to no pain at all in one day? Weird. Its just so hard when its your child and you cant seem to do anything about it. Thanks for writing whiteluluflower!
It sounds like kidney stones. If they are small they may not show up. I'm 57 and I have a number of bouts. If she is screaming in pain and then it disappears. What happens is they block the uretha (tube between kidney and bladder). One of the best temporary fixes is to get her to drink lots and lots of water. That usually does a good job of passing them if they are really small. I was told the last time I had one that I should go to the ER if they are that bad. I'm all grown up and the pain can bring me to my knees. I really hope they find out what's causing all her pain.

Old 12-26-2005, 04:26 AM   #9
(female)

MissHelen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtigrbaby
Its so funny that you mention the crystals in the bladder because thats what I told my husband when he asked about her results. I could have sworn that they said crystals in the bladder but when he tried to do some research online he said that whenever he looked that up he could only find crystals in bladders of animals lol so then he just assumed that they meant in the gallbladder. I really dont know on that one now lol
I think VCUG is a more thorough test of several organs (not sure on the details) I do know that they will have to insert a catheder(however you spell it lol) The pain in her upper left side has subsided for now but just the fact that she gets recurring bladder infections and has these crystals makes me want to get a thorough check on her anyway. I wish you were still in contact with that friend of yours who had the crystals too just to get an idea of what happened with that. Thanks for writing! )
I don't know if this is true or not, but my mother who if she was still her, she always said not to take sulphur, because it "crystalized" in the kidney. May be that she's taken some antibiotic with sulphur. I'd ask the dr about it. Of course, it might just be another old wives tale

Good luck in getting a diagnosis, that will get rid of her pain.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:54 PM   #10
(female)

ddtigrbaby HB User

I'll have to ask about the Sulphur thing. What the doctor is going now is giving her another antibiotic (he said that her body only responds to three kinds) and when her body seems normal, he wants to start testing her. The VCUG etc...She should be done with the antibiotic in a few days. We'll see.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #11

nikkiC HB User

I am positive that they are referring to crystals in the bladder or urinary tract. My son was just diagosed with kidney stones (age 8) and he too has crystals in his urine. Sometimes when he pees, you can actually look in the bottom of the toilet and see the crystals, it looks like little clumps of sand. This was discovered when one day he came home from football practice and peed blood. Of course we were frantic and rushed him to the ER. They thought it was a viral thing after strep throat. The day after the ER visit, he had severe stomach pain and vomiting and the pediatrician said he probably caught a stomach virus from being at Children's hospital. He peed blood a week before Xmas so we knew it wasnt from strep and after a CT of the kidneys and a 24 hour urine test, it showed two small stones and crystals in his urine. There are 4 types of crystals, his are calcium which is the most common but each one their is different treatment so I would avoid trying the sulfur until you know what type of crystal. His treatment is a low salt low calcium diet and he has to majorly increase his water intake. They hope to flush them out so they dont need to be removed. Also, crystals really arent painful for kids cause they are so small (not like stones in adults) but they can do damage in the kidneys so it is important to decrease the likelyhood of them forming. We kind of think that after what they thought was a stomach flu, he actually passed a larger crystal that would be painful. Good luck and I have done all the research so feel free to ask any questions.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #12
(female)

ddtigrbaby HB User

Wow, thank you so much for all that info! So far she seems to be doing fine. I'm still just waiting for her to finish her antibiotics so that we can take another urine test and then do the VCUG test. Do you know if that test would tell us anything about crystals in the bladder or? I'm not EVEN going to ask how you saw those crystals in the urine either lol jk

Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #13

nikkiC HB User

ddtigrbaby,
Well, my daughter who is 5 actually had a VCUG test done when she was 4 because of a one time urinary tract infection. OUr pediatrician said that it is very unusual for kids to get them unless they have urine reflux or other problems like stones or an anatomically incorrect structure which can eventually cause kidney damage. I knew that she got the UTI from constipation because she would hold it because she was too afraid to poop so she wouldnt do either. Her VCUG turned out fine but I doubt they can see crystals. I think if she had stones, they would be big enough to be seen but the crystals are very tiny. With my son, after he pees in the toilet, before he flushes, it looks like sand at the bottom (very weird to see). Have you seen a pediatric neprologist? I totally recommend that because although we have an excellent pediatrician, this really isnt their everyday run of the mill issues. Also, you definately are right by getting to the bottom of the UTI's. Too many of them can cause scar tissue which can lead to high blood pressure and other kidney trouble as she would get older. I wish you the best of luck and keep me posted. Nikki

Old 01-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #14
(female)

ddtigrbaby HB User

Thank you so much for the info. I think I'm going to see what the VCUG says and then go from there. I'll let you know what happens as soon as I know something. )

Old 01-10-2006, 02:45 AM   #15
(female)

rhuck HB User

Has she been checked for urethral stenosis? I had that condition when I was little. It is when the urethra and urethral opening are constricted. Signs include your daughter's symptoms as well as nocturia ( bed wetting). Ask her ped about that.

Closed Thread