It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
(male)

devie41 HB User
coughing with no other symptoms 9 year old child

I am concerned about why my 9 year old couphs. A few months ago she had pneumonia in one lung. She was xrayed and after treatment, everything cleared up. Now she couphs, sometimes sounds drie and other times sound loose. This has been going on for 2 1/2 weeks. She has no other symtoms like fever or feeling sick. Just lots of couphing. Sometimes I wonder if its a habit but she couphs at night also. Thanks.................... :-)

Old 01-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
(female)

lilmsmagic HB User
Re: coughing with no other symptoms 9 year old child

is the coughing more at night, in the morning, after playing.......Does the cough produce anything?Has she been checked for asthma? does she have sinus issues? It could be draining down the back of her throat? Just need a little more info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I had the same thing for many years in my childhood. I was constantly coughing to the point where my throat was raw and sore. Sometimes I had a hard time taking a breath through my mouth because phlegm clogged my throat. It turned out I had acute bronchitis and an allergic reaction to freshly-cut grass. My only symptom was coughing...I had no rashes or outbreaks from the allergy. I needed a vaporizer in my bedroom at night so I could breathe, and I would cough all day and night.

I was given inhalers for this, which were annoying. The inhalers did nothing for me, but my coughing eventually went away. Even now, over 10 years later, there are times when my sinuses will drain, clogging my throat, and making my voice very hoarse until I clear my throat. It's embarrassing to speak when this happens.

I wish I could tell you that I know what your daughter has to reassure you, but I can't diagnose anything. Your best bet would be to just take her to the doctor, and they will do some tests to find out what's going on. No one gets a "hairball" in their throat for no reason.

Good luck to you both - I pray you find out what's wrong soon. If your daughter is suffering like I did, my heart goes out to her.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
(male)

devie41 HB User

The cough does not produce anything. She says she feels perfectly fine. The cough is worse in the morning, she says she feels a tickle in her throat. At night, once she goes to sleep, she never wakes up coughing. Also, during school she hardly coughs at all. When she went to the doctor with the pneumonia, he did not think she had asthma. I have read that with pneumonia, the cough can linger, but I am not sure. Thanks for any info.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
(female)

worm HB User

Yes, after pneumonia they can have a dry cough for weeks. Usually after they have been treated for pneumonia you would go back for a follow-up xray to make sure it has cleared. Not immediately after though because it takes a while for the lung to look normal again. Maybe two weeks after she finished antibiotic. My son and daughter have had pneumonia a couple of times and this has been my experience. I would be a little concerned if it was still a wet cough.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Sounds like maybe some sinus/allergy related problem...

Old 03-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #7
(male)

devie41 HB User

Thanks very much for all the information that you all gave me...........The up and down weather, viruses going around, post nasal drip.......I will wait till it warms up a bid and bet it all goes away.....Thanks............ :-)

Old 03-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User
Talking Re: coughing with no other symptoms 9 year old child

My daughter had this problem also. She was coughing for about 3 months before anyone decided to do anything. She had gotten so used to coughing it was just an everyday thing (kind of sad). Sometimes the cough was either dry or wet ocassionally she had post nasal drip. But come to find out she has cough varient asthma She has been on advair for a few konths now and most of the coughing has diminished. It took a good 2-3 weeks before the advair took effect. I would definetely have it checked out. It is called a methocholine challenge. That is a definite yes or no to asthma and takes about 5-10 minutes. Good Luck.
C

Old 04-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
(female)

shinetype2 HB User

Reflux will cause a chronic cough

Old 04-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
(female)

lauralu2000 HB User

My daughter had this same thing happen when she was 9. Ended up she got pnemonia back again. She had no other symptoms. Just a cough. Not bad...but just enough that I noticed it. After 3 weeks I took her back in and sure enough pnemonia again.
Hope everything is still just fine though.cough can linger a very long time after pnemonia or broncittus.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
(male)

devie41 HB User

Thanks for all your information on my daughters couph. She has been two see the doctor 3 times now. They said it was alergies with all the high pollen right now. They want us to give here flownase but that makes her throat hurt and flownase is suposed to be bad for you. We decided to use a steril sanline solusion and spray it into her nose just as if we were using flownase and it works just as good. Flownase costs $75.00 for a small amount. Just rake in the money, everyone has money trees in thier front yard. Thanks for the info............................. :-)

Closed Thread