It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

Des11 HB User
Please Help My son's Penis is very Red !!!

Let me start by saying that over the past 6months my 2 almost 3 year old son was getting infections which needed to be treated with peniclin. His ped said i should make a appt with a ped urolgist which i did he gave me a ointment to put on his penis twice a day and said that would help to start the skin to seperate some, he didnt seem concern about all the infections and said to me it was normal so after about a month he got another infection and my ped told me i should go see some one else for a 2nd oppion there was a 2month long wait but i went ahead and made the app any way he has that app in FEB. He has been without a infection for about 2 months,I noticed yesterday a little reddness around the tip of his penis tonight when i gave him a bath it is very red and a little swollen. I'm going to call his ped first thing in the morning>

I just feel awful i know that it is not my fault but i just cant help it I also feel bad because i dont want him to have to be cut ! I have a 11 year and never went through any of this with him. I guess i'm just wondering has anyone gone through the same thing with there children, what did you do? Did you have them circumcised ? or maybe soemthing else Any advice?

ps His ped seems to think the best thing for him is to be circumcised, i understand that being on antobotics that many times is not healthyI just dont know what to do
Please help !
Des

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

jeannajersy HB User
Re: Please Help My son's Penis is very Red !!!

I Think You Should Have Him Circumcised....why Would`nt You Want Him Circumcised?

Old 01-22-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
(female)

Des11 HB User

It's just more complicated when they are older he would have to be put under and that worrys me. I also worry about the amount of pain he may be in after. But i know that he cant cont the way he is going.
Regards,
Des

Old 01-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
(female)

iannjen HB User

Hi my nephew had the same problem so they went ahead with a circumsion and he hasn't looked back. He was 4 when he had the op and is now 17.

Good luck
Jenn

Old 01-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User

well i can understand why you may not want to have him circumcised. we are expecting our first child in 6 weeks and we're not planning to have him circ'd for various reasons including the fact that the aap is on the fence about this issue and the fact that we can't find enough compelling medical evidence to make it seem necessary. but if that is the only option to prevent more infections i would go ahead and do it. i'd just beware that most doctors in this country are really pr-circumcision and you might have to get a couple of opinions to make sure they are not just recommending it because that's just the thing they do. good luck to you and i hope your son feels better soon. also why did the dr give you a cream to separate the skin? most boys foreskins don't separate until they are older.
also, it wouldn't by any chance be a yeast infection, would it?

Old 01-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

What kind of infections is he getting? I'm also wondering why you are using cream to separate the forskin? You should leave it alone until it retracts itself. According to a very reputable website some causes of reddened foreskin are: too much exposure to soiled diapers, an imbalance of skin bacteria caused by too many bubble baths, soap on the genitals, antibiotics, concentrated urine from not drinking enough water. It says drinking water, soaking in warm baths (no bubbles), and running around with bare bottoms may help. I would get a second opinion. Does the urologist think he should be circumsized also? If you are pulling his foreskin back you should stop, this may be the cause of the infections.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User

mom22greatkids,
those sound like really good suggestions.
i hope they help the original poster.
i also just had another thought. what if her son is having some sort of an allergic reactionto something like new diapers, bath products, creams, detergent?
hope they find the culprit soon and can spare him more pain.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
(female)

ImTheLucky1 HB User

Ok, I know that "boys have a penis and girls have a vagina" but my sister went through kind of the same thing with her daughter. She constantly had somekind of vaginal infection from birth to aaround 2. Turned out to be the soap in her bath. She's now 10 yrs old and hasn't had a "bubble bath" in 8 yrs. Try just letting the little guy play in plain water then bath him with no fragrence baby bath. do it as quickly as possible and rinse with clear water. See if that helps.

As for the circumcision- I was on the fence myself as to wether or not it should be done to my son. I discussed it w/ my OBGYN and we decided the best thing to do was a "half" circumcision. She only took a very small amount of skin. If all else fails, see if that is an option. As for pain, I would think they would give you something for that to help him out.

Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User

imthelucky1,
just out of curiosity, what's the benefit of doing a half circumcision as opposed to a full one?

thanks.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:01 AM   #10
(female)

Des11 HB User

Hi everyone,
Thanlks for all the advice. Let me start by saying that i stoped using that ointment the 1st week the urologist gave it to my son it is something they use on scars or something like that he thought that it would help but i didnt feel comfortable with that so i stop using it and also never went back to that Dr. ann i was currently waiting to see someone else I found another Ped urologist that can seem my son this Friday so im going to take him there this week i dont think he can wait until the middle of Feb to see the other Dr.

I'm not sure what kind of infection it is but i know that it does not clear up with just the Bactroban cream he always need the other ant too I dont ever pull the skin back and he potty trained since he was 2 he is almost 3 now i thought this would help with all the infections but he just keeps getting them
i also try not to give him bubble baths but you know kids and there bubbles so i limit it to one or twice a week. He also drinks alot water he sips on it most of the day he only drinks one 4 ounce juice box a day and milk 2 times a day the rest of the time water it is.

oh forgot to mention that he had a ultra sound of his kidney and another test done cant think of the name but it is the one were they inserted a tube inside his penis and had some fluid run through his bladder and took different images. And everything came back normal with those test.

Well thanks for all the advice and lets see what Fridays Dr. visit brings

Regards,
Des

Old 01-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #11
(female)

Des11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastabasta
imthelucky1,
just out of curiosity, what's the benefit of doing a half circumcision as opposed to a full one?

thanks.
As this person posted what are the benfits??????

Old 01-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #12
(female)

ImTheLucky1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des11
As this person posted what are the benfits??????

"Half" is my term, not the dr's. I had read alot about how a noncircumsized boy is prone to infections. But I had also read that circumsion could effect a man's sexual pleasure later in life. (My sister has told me that due to too much skin being removed that her husband's erections are sometimes actually painful) So, I asked my dr if we could met in the middle- do the circumcision but not remove the standard amount of skin. She agreed to try it. She used the rings (you know, the ones that kind of clip together) and there was just a small amount of skin protruding as opposed to another one that I had seen where there was quite a bit of skin.

My son's penis looks like any other circumsized penis except that it's not as smooth. I was simply suggesting a "3rd" alternative. He has enough skin that he shouldn't have any problems as an adult but not so much that he has any problems keeping it clean. That was a MAJOR concern for me. From what I read most infections from non-c were caused by not cleaning properly. And let's face it- he's 9. It's not like I can check to make sure he's cleaning himself there like I do his ears

Also, I found out that at the ripe ol' age of 79, my great grand father was circumsized b/c of infections. (IMO, the nurses weren't doing their job but that's another story) I didn't want my son to be old enough it would traumatize him only to have to do it anyway.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

A circumcision or a half-circumcision is not the answer. If he was a girl, no one would be suggesting surgery. More than likely, someone tried to retract his foreskin when they catheterized him. This often leads to tearing, and the tearing invites infection. As you know from your 11 year old, this is not the normal state for a boy with a foreskin.
To find out what is causing the problem, you have to eliminate all the possibilities.
One bubble bath a week would be enough to cause major irritation (balanitis) if not an infection. If he is not responding to the antibiotics, the culprit is likely candida albans (yeast, thrush). Monistat, or anything over the counter for women, would clear this up quickly, if it is yeast. Good luck with him.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User

tommy to the rescue i'm glad you are on this board because you are so knowledgeable about this issue. i was very impressed by the things you had said on another thread as well.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:35 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Geoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB User

Dear Des11,
Please have a look at my stretching instructions, a sticky near the top of the men's health board. Although I don't expect you to use these on a boy your son's age, they do explain how the infant penis develops (the penis is formed as one organ and usually has to be forced away from the glans using forceps during infant circumcision) and how the natural adhesions break down (see the last two sections). You should also read about how betamethasone helps with stretching. Is that the cream the doctor gave you? As Tommy says it is very likely that these problems are due to somebody, possibly even a nurse or doctor trying to retract before the foreskin had separated naturally.
I would suggest that after all these antibiotics it is very likely he has a yeast or fungal infection. A cream to fix this sort of infection should be tried before circumcision is even considered. US doctors do have a reputation for using circumcision as a first-option treatment for any foreskin problem, rather than a last resort as in other countries. I have a god-daughter whose son was circumcised at about 3 years old. His grandfather said it was quite traumatic. I believe he stopped focusing on his penis and became more interested in mummy's breasts.
As for a "half-circumcision" it still removes the most nerve-rich part of the foreskin, the ridged band. But it does prevent painful erections from too tight a circumcision and leaves him with something to play with. (All males masturbate with what foreskin they have or they have to use lube. Removing it won't stop the urge though.) The adult foreskin is 15 square inches and it is very difficult to tell during infant or childhood circumcisions how much skin to leave. So it is better to err well on the safe side, if you circumcise at all, which has almost ceased where I live in Australia.
Hope that's some help,
Geoff

Closed Thread