It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
(male)

hoover25 HB User
Unhappy HARD Sleeper plus bedwetting

He all,

I have a almost 5 year old who is a wonderfully awesome kid.....I actually gloat (LOL) when I see other parents because my boy is just a great child. But (there is always a but), he has a huge bedwetting issue. I know its normal, especially for boys, but this is getting out of hand. Without intervention, he will wet the bed 1-5 times per night.

I have tried all the usual ways of dealing with bedwetting but I think that its just because his is HARD sleeper.....really hard...no kidding. What I mean is that I almost cannot wake him up to go pee which is the only way he can wake up dry in the morning. He goes to bed at 8, peetime at 8:45, 10:00, 12:00, and 6:00 am.

To wake him: (I have tried everything else....everything!) All lights on, pick up up, carry him to potty, pajamas down, YELL at him LOUD (positively...kind words etc), shake him, etc. If I am lucky, he will pee some and barely open his eyes, but rarely actually "wakes up." He sleepwalks on occasion....if you catch him sleepwalking and tell him to use the potty...guess what....he pees through his pajamas right where he is standing.

Anyone else have kid who can sleep through a trainwreck of heavy metal music? Advice?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
(female)

croppingmom HB User
Re: HARD Sleeper plus bedwetting

I have a 6 year old, who could also sleep through a train derailment. I wish he could stay dry but he does not not even close. I make him go to the restroom before bed 8:00 or 8:30. I cut out how much he drinks in the evenings and wake him again at 10:00 and 12:00 before I go to bed. I set an alarm in his room which he usually sleeps through for 3:00 and I have to get up and take him. Then he is up at 6:30. If he has already had an accident then I usually just let him sleep. My older son did not have this problem he started staying dry through the night at about 41/2. Any suggestions would be great. I have thought of buying one of those alarms that attach to his underwear but decided that if an alarm clock does not wake him then that wouldn't work either. He is also becoming frustrated with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
(female)

shinetype2 HB User

Buy him some goodnights and relax he is only 5

Old 04-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
(female)

mnmama HB User
Talking Re: HARD Sleeper plus bedwetting

How long has he been wetting the bed?I have a 14 year old who still wets the bed on occassion. I remember when he was younger I would wake him to go to the bathroom and he would walk into his closet and go there if I didn't physically direct him to the bathroom. I agree with the previous poster, get him some goodnights and don't make him stress about it either.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
(female)

healthy2b HB User

Hi All...

I have the SAME problem, am actually washing last night's sheet as I sit here and type! My son is 8 1/2 and still wets everynight. I too have tried EVERYTHING and he too can sleep through a TORNADO! LOL.....it's frustrating for him and me. I've tried everything and nothing works. I am considering the medication DDAVP I think it's called? I've posted about it on here before. I've done tremendous research on it, although not a cure by any means, it stops the production of urine at night and you do 12 week intervals, if they are dry when you stop, that only means they would have been dry at that time, it just gets you through it until their body is ready, but not a cure.
I am considering it for short term as my son is going on a trip where he'll be staying with other kids, and wetting the bed would be a nightmare for him and wearing his pull ups would be embarassing for him! We give him plenty of love, and are relaxed about it, but he has had it!
The only thing I can't do is limit liquids, b/c he plays sports 5 nights a week and we live in Florida, and he has to stay hydrated, so he has a drinks right before we get home and he goes to bed. We are an active family and with the heat, it's impossible to limit liquids, although even on vacation when I can limit them, he still wets the bed...
GOOD LUCK....it's definitely an issue....

Old 04-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Another vote for Goodnights here!

Old 05-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
(female)

Mysticat13 HB User

Hi, I have an 11 year old who wets as well. He is tough to get to sleep but when he does...it is almost impossible to wake him. He is almost out of the Goodnites as he is 5'1". My husband wakes him every nite and though it is really good comedy at times...2 nites ago my husband was shaking him to get him to wake and our sin reached out grabbed my husbands leg in his sleep and started shaking the leg at the same rate. ...it can be frustrating. We have tried everything from herbal to the alarms. Some nites he is dry but I guess we have to wait it out. So don't worry about one so young it hopefully will be better soon. And if not, you take it one nite at a time.
Mysti

Old 05-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
(female)

kathy590 HB User

I have a 12 year old daughter who wet the bed every single night up until last year. Just make sure they don't drink too much at night and make sure they go to the washroom just before bed. You may even have to wake him up a little later. My Dr said do not under any circumstances get angry, it runs in families. Her dad had the same problem. I never even mentioned it to her, I just cleaned it up and did not make a deal out of it, frustrating as it was. She grew out of it just as the Dr said she would.

Closed Thread