It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

jasonjoshua HB User
5 year old constantly clearing throat

HELP!!! My 5 year old has been constantly clearing his throat for about 2 weeks. It is VERY annoying to him and everyone around him. His teacher at school is even getting frustrated with him. The doctor diagnosed him with Bronchitis because he has had it several times in the recent past. The medications are not helping. And we live in New Mexico and it is super dry right now maybe it's allergies? ANY suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasonjoshua For This Useful Post:
chimpettes (04-18-2012), sitter2012 (06-16-2012)
Old 02-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User
Re: 5 year old constantly clearing throat

It is probably allergies. My oldest son went through the same thing and it drove us crazy!!! But as soon as he started taking Zyrtec it went away. You might try some kind of allergy meds and see if that helps. Good luck! I hope he gets better soon!

Cristie

The Following User Says Thank You to crisma For This Useful Post:
sitter2012 (06-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I had bronchitis at about the age of 6, so I know what your son's going through. My cough interfered with breathing and clearing my throat was extremely annoying to me as well as anyone within earshot (not to mention it made my throat very sore). It could very well be allergies too - I had both bronchitis and an allergy to freshly-cut grass. I'd never even heard of someone being allergic to such a thing, but it explained why I was so wheezy when people mowed their lawns. I did eventually outgrow the allergy, but now, over 10 years later, there are times when I just start having coughing fits for no reason, and having a cold is a miserable time because the cough worsens fivefold.

My medications did nothing for me either - I had to take one of those nasal inhalers, and being 6 and having that crammed up your nose and getting your head pumped with burning fumes is no fun. I concur with Crisma - see if you can find and try different medications. Probably nothing will totally cure your son of this ailment, but if it can at least alleviate the coughing to some extent, you'll both be happy. Good luck to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Stranger For This Useful Post:
sitter2012 (06-16-2012)
Old 02-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

mitpatsmom HB User

Is he stuffy or coughing? If not:

Throat clearing is one of the most common "trasient tics" that children get. At 5, your son is a little young, but it's not uncommon for a child (especially a boy) to pic up a vocal tic like this.

At 7-y-o, my son started blinking his eyes when his hair grew down to his eyes. After the haircut, he still blinked for a few weeks. As he got older, it was harder to get him to stop these kinds of tics.

He's now on medication which has helped, but he still tics when excited. Just keep this in mind (and tell his teacher) that it's not something he's able to control. If it persists, ask your doctor if it could be a trasient tic and get a referal to see a neurologist.

The Following User Says Thank You to mitpatsmom For This Useful Post:
sitter2012 (06-16-2012)
Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
(female)

billy245 HB User

Snap- my 6 year old daughter is constantly clearing her throat and is driving everyone crazy including herself. The doc said it was asthma and she was taking salbutamol and becotide 4 times a day but after 6 days the doc said there was no improvement so reduced this to once aday and has ordered a chest xray and said it may be a habit cough.

I am not sure of the habit idea as she gets worse in the car with the heater on, and if it was a habit cough then I would have thought she could be distracted and she coughs when we are at the cinema, in swimming lessons when playing, I am at a loss and really don't know what to do, we have to wait for three weeks for the chest xray result, but the doc said her chest is clear so I am not sure that anything will show up there.

I know how you feel it is really annoying.

The Following User Says Thank You to billy245 For This Useful Post:
sitter2012 (06-16-2012)
Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Billy, allergies could be causing secretions in her throat. Is she sniffly too?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
(female)

billy245 HB User

no not sniffing, no runny nose, I have tried piriton with no effect, she coughed during the night last night as well, it was pretty cold last night so I wonder if that was why.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

my four year old has developed the same kind of throat clearing habit and it IS really annoying and frustrating! she'd been sick with a mild cough and cold, and the cough lingered for a few weeks, and now, even after the cough has gone, she still does the throat clearing thing! i do think it's a result of the drier weather combined with the fact that they have been so used to doing it that it's become habitual. usually a drink of water helps, but when it gets really bad, i mix up a cup of hot honey and lemon with watered down juice and it seems to help soothe her throat and she will stop.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

My food allergies have caused throat secretions that were not post nasal drip. It feels like the secretions are coming right from the throat. My food allergies have also caused some throat swelling (not anaphylaxis) so I think that extra fluid is coming to my throat because of the allergies and this is what is making the secretions. I have to clear my throat to move this stuff out.

Last edited by Sannah; 01-31-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Closed Thread