It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
(female)

Des11 HB User
Friends Child has herpes???

Hi Everyone,
Here's what happen to us today this afternoon i had a birthday party for my son who turned three today. I invited a friend of ours with her children now i did not know that her son and daughter were not feeling well last week her son had blisters all in his month and down his throat and her daughter was also very sick with the same thing this was her first time getting the blisters her son from what i can remember has gotten this maybe three times in the last year. When i ask her what the ped says about it she said it is just a infection and that they gave him a antibiotcs and that the bilister appered because he had a fever and strep throat. Anyways when i said that they should not be around other children she said that they were all better.
I really dont like when people do this!!!!!!!!!

Now my son was playing with her son and they had some balloons that had a whistle attach to them her son put it in his mouth and then decided to share the balloon I didnt get there in time to stop my son from putting it in his mouth I'm thinking these children have herpes and is it possiable for my son to get it I'm so worried its driving me crazy i dont want my son to contract this from what she has told me it is very painful they cant eat or drink. I praying that my child does not get it

Any comments, suggestions
Regards Des

Last edited by Des11; 03-18-2006 at 07:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Inactive

Luka Mullens HB User
Re: Friends Child has herpes???

Yes, there is a rather big change your kids will get herpes too IF this is herpes.

The canker sores by themselves (the blisters in the mouth) are not a symptom of herpes simples but together with cold sores (blisters on the lips) or only the blisters on lips or outside of the mouth, they are.

Once you carry the virus you will not be able to get rid of it, but most people never or almost never have the symptoms. It is a rather innocent form of Herpes (it isn't like genital herpes..) and there are over the counter medicines that you can use to lessen the irritations of blisters in the mouth (oragel). Cold sores go away by themselfs in 7 to 10 days. They may pop up after a cold, exposure to the sun, stressful times or when menstuating.

By the way, chickenpox is another form of herpes...

Even though I do agree that your friends is irresponsible by letting her kids share when there is a clear sign of infection, I would not worry about it too much.

L.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
(female)

Des11 HB User

Thanks so much for the reply. But is it commen for her younger child to have that many outbreaks and that servere? To the point that he cant eat or drink she told me he gets it all down his throat and tounge.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Inactive

Luka Mullens HB User

Yes, if the immune system is low due to colds or other infections it is very common to have many outbreaks.
Also, when they have the canker sores (inside the mouth) they should be careful when brushing teeth, and avoid citrus fruits (it hurts and irritates).
Sometimes a food allergy will bring this on as well, this might be something to look at!
The sores are very very painful, so not being able to swallow or eat certain foods is normal. If the sores are all the way in the throat she should go see a doctor and make sure it isn't strep or as throat infection (or maybe infected adenoids?)

If this are cold sores (on the lips or outside of the mouth) she needs to get a prescription that will reduce the frequency and severity of the outbreaks...

L.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User

Hi there.

Herpes are very contagious when inflammed. I really hate when parents are so irresponsible, I mean miss the party just to be sure, it was only a week ago that her kids couldn't eat, COME ON!! I have 3 daughters and I am so cautious about that stuff. I always ask myself would I want my child around my child? If the answer is even a slight ehhh, then I DON'T DO IT!! ESPECIALLY with something like Herpes!! I am so sorry! I get cold sores and so does my husband so unfortunately 2 of the gilrs have had them before as well but like the other poster mentioned, you can take things to limit outbreaks.

Let's just say hopefully that wasn't what he had and your son will be fine!

Best Wishes,
Nicole

Old 04-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
(female)

ellejay HB User

My son had this and it was awful. He was off school for at least three weeks. I have three other children and neither of them became infected ,nor myself or hubby. He could not eat and even drinking was painful. He lost an awful lot of weight. Doesn't the medication given stop them being contagious.
I wouldn't of taken my son to a party even if I thought he wasn't contagious because you know that other parents will get upset just as we would ourselves. Do you think that maybe this woman felt that she had to go because you had invited her?
Maybe you should talk to her.
As for the boy getting this three times that is not unusual as the doctor told me that unfortunately he would be prone to it that is nothing to do with the parent.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
(female)

misguideddream HB User

When my son had hand-foot-mouth disease that he caught from a child at his daycare, he had blisters on his lips and in his mouth. But he also had a few smaller ones on the palms of his hands and the tops of his feet, but those weren't as bad as the ones in his mouth.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

i have had these since i was a baby and yes they are painfull and embarassing but i have never passed this on to anyone i was born with no white blood cells and had to be given shot's for a year to build one im pretty sure that's how i got exposed i couldn't fight anything off i really think if my immune system had been good i never would have gotten it cold sore's are something that i will suffer with the rest of my life but there are also fever blister's

Closed Thread