It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

soccermom0502 HB User
FEVER ONLY SYMPTOM- 15 month old

I need help if anyone has had this happen, please help me
My DS is 15 months old and has been having fever on and off for the last 23 days. He started on March 13, had fevers up to 104 for 7 days. The fever just stopped and was gone for 6 days. The fever came back on March 29 and he still has it. We have been to the Dr and to the hospital 4 times in the last 3 weeks. He woke up Monday morning with Petechiae ( bleeding under skin) and the Dr ssent us to Er. They did all the blood workup and urine, chest X ray. The only thing found was high Sed rate and high C reactive protein.
They said there must be a little infection somewhere, lets try antibiotics and see if that helps. Wouldnt the White count be high if there were infection ?
He had IV antibiotics at the hospital on Monday and has had 3 doses at home since then, he still has a fever but it is lower ???? I am so worried

Old 04-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: FEVER ONLY SYMPTOM- 15 month old

Hi....did they do a platelet count on him??? Were his platelets low??? The reason I ask is that there is a condition called ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic Purpura) in which the child will present with petechiae as you describe and at times a fever. ITP is usually triggered by a virus infection, most often rubella, chickenpox, measles, cytomegalovirus, or Epstein-Barr virus. It usually begins about two or three weeks after the infection. Did you son have some type of virus a few weeks ago??? You say he had a fever a few weeks ago.....I would definitely ask about the platelet count....if it is 50,000 or below then that is a clear sign that ITP may be the cause. If it is ITP the good news is that it usually self resolves and at times requires the use of steroids to help resolve it. And limiting activity until the platelets return to normal as well.

With the C-reative protein and sed rate up there may be something else with inflammation going on such as lupus or an arthritic condition.

I surely hope that they get to the bottom of what is going on with your son. If you feel that you are getting nowhere I would bring him to a Pediatric rhemaotolgist or oncologist to look further into things. The symptoms definietely indicate that something is going on that needs further evaluation.

You are in my thoughts & prayers ~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

soccermom0502 HB User

Yes, the platelet count ( according to the DR's ) was normal and so was red and white blood count. He has not had any sicknesses or viruses that I can think of in the last 2 months or so. He did have a little sinusitis a few months ago, but that cleared up with antibiotics.
He just developed the fever and had no other symptoms then it went away and came back with no other symptoms. I think that is what has me leaning towards some type of inflamation - flare up. If there was an infection why would it stop for almost a week.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

I truly understand your concern......like I said if you continue to see your son with a fever and it persists with or without any further symptoms I would continue to bring him to the doctor/ER until they get to the bottom of this. Sometimes us moms have a better sense of what is going on with our kids than the doctors do. My daughter wouldn't eat when she was born and lost a pound before going home. I was told she would eat better at home once my milk came in. No such luck....I had the La Leche team come in and was at the doctor's office everyday and she continued to lose weight. They told me to supplement with formula and eventually she turned blue and was frothing at the mouth. Turns out after being hospitalized that she had a severe case of GERD (gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) and continues to have it almost 15 years later!!! If I had listened to the doctors and chose to ignore it she would have withered away and been in pain.

The squeaky wheel gets oiled as they say!!! Keep us posted ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 04-05-2006 at 01:49 PM.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
(female)

soccermom0502 HB User

Well I finally talked to the DR again and he said that he just got the blood and urine cyltures back and they were normal. SO, he said if he still has a fever tomorrow morning we are going to repeat the bloodwrok tomorrow and go from there. I did tell him that I just had a gut feeling and something wasnt right. He said " well thats called mothers intuition and I respect that " he is a good doc. THe DR at the ER was an idiot and I dont trust a thing he told me.
My DS had 104 fever when we go to the ER ( with the petichae) and they never even put him in a gown or checked his body for anything swollen or etc
I appreciate your help, I will update as we go

Old 04-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
I Have a DS son and I was wondering where was he bleeding up the skin, my son had something back a few years and it was hard to diagnose, get back to me, I may be able to help you.
Karen W.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
(female)

soccermom0502 HB User

the petechiae was around the base of his neck/ upper chest, on the front and around to the side

Old 04-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Well I'm going to explain what happened with my DS son, he had a high fever, then he also starting to vomit but the odd thing was his right arm had reddish purple blotch's on it and the blotches eventually joined together and his arm was purple from the elbow to the wrist, the arm it self had a very high temperature compared to the rest of his body, we had him to the ER, they ran a bunch of tests but no one could come up with anything, they admitted him, did more tests-looking for a bone infection or cancer, tests can back just fine, no one knew what to do, now his arm is purple red from the arm pit to the wrist, finially they called an infectious disease Doctor in, he took one look at it and knew what it was, I cannot remember the correct name for it, but it sounds like Fantasia, well any ways what it is and it is only found in children who have a low muscle tone, he had a strep infection, some how all the infection had pooled in his arm, he had to have IV roseferin for two weeks in order for it to clear up, we went threw this for about two years, every time he had gotten some kind of infection, his arm started acting up, From what I was told, the tissue and the muscle are more separable because there muscle tone is poor which allows the infection to pool between the two, finially we put him in swimming, it was recommended by children's hospital, we did that, got his upper body stronger and he never had gotten that again.
Hope this can help, Karen W.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
(female)

soccermom0502 HB User

Thanks for sharing, fortunately his symptoms arent like that at all. He hasnt had any vomiting or any rashes except the few spots on his neck.
I tried to look up what you were talking about and I think it is maybe
Fascitis, and that doesnt fit him at all.
Thank goodness his fever is gone for now and the Dr wants to go ahead and
check the blood again on MOnday. I am hoping that it was just a little iinfection and now its gone
Will post again after the re draw on Monday
Thanks to all of you for your help

Old 04-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
Well I'm glad I got to tell you this anyways because you may run into that type of situation someday because you have a DS son, I must say I was pretty stressed out until they figured out what it was, I was so afraid he was going to loose his arm, the entire arm was purple and very hot, no one knew what is was until they called this infectious disease Doctor in, then I did a happy dance, keep us posted.
Karen W.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
(female)

soccermom0502 HB User

well the bloodwork was done and his CBC is still normal, the C reactive protein is back to normal also. The sed rate has lowered from 56 to 21 and the Dr doesnt seem concerned and doesnt want to see him again unless he starts with fever again or other symptoms.
My concern is that there is an inflammation in the body and we are overlooking something. I mean he hasnt had a fever for 6 days now, but that doenst mena anything because he went 1 week in between the last 2 episodes. I just dont know what to do now ??? I really want to have his blood checked again in a week or so ?

Old 04-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
I would keep a close watch on him, DS kids and adults some times cannot fight things like other kids do and they can relapse, I never let my guard down with him, they get infection so easy.
Karen W.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Has your son had a lumber puncture done??? it is a painful procedure but the inflammation could be lying in his spnial cord fluid and this is why it isnt showing up properly on the blood work.

Inflammation of the spinal fluid can also present itself at times with high fevers and rashes, in these cases the rash mainly starts on the chest or back first.

Another possiblity is that he may have a virus instead of a bacterial bug, again these present themselves differently when it comes to blood work results

I hope he is feeling better soon

Last edited by Sharon76; 04-12-2006 at 04:24 AM.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
(female)

soccermom0502 HB User

First, Karen.... I am sorry if I misinformed you I think that you may think my son has Downs Stndrome ?? I just abbreviated Ds- for Darling Son. I was reading back on your posts and I thought OH MY, I think I messed up.
He is not Downs and actually other than ear infections has been pretty healthy. I appreciate you help though.

Sharon, As far as the lumbar puncture, they said the only reason they would do one is if they suspected Menegitis and he didnt display any symptoms of that.
His fever seems to be coming back today , he is having some diarehea and is very irritable. SO, we may be back at the DR tomorrow.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User
Talking Re: FEVER ONLY SYMPTOM- 15 month old

Hi soccermom I have been reading this post and wondering how your son's fever is? My daughter for at least 1 year of her life had a high fever over 103. every month. But she hasn't had any for 2 months now. So we are lucky,for now.
C

Closed Thread