It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

HETTIE HB User
Thumbs up Sick Kids Being Sent To School AGAIN

I will be so glad when school it out. My daughter attends a private school and there have been two incidences where parents were not notified of potentially serious "conditions" circulating around the school. Parent's were notified about "whooping cough" two weeks after several children came down with it and most recently another notification of "meningitis" one week after three children contracted the disease. I might add one was in the same grade as my daughter and this child was airlifted to a hospital and happened to stay there for 7 days, only to return to school the day after she comes home and only stays 1 hour and has to leave because she feels so bad. That poor child.
Guess I just need to vent. Every month since school has started my daughter who has asthma and takes 3 medications year round for it has had to take steroids every single month since school started because parents consistently send children to school who sound as if they might cough up a lung at any moment, have snotty, runny, green disgusting noses, who don't cover the mouth when they cough or sneeze, nor do they wash their hands. Unfortunately, my daughter cannot simply contract the "common cold" but it flares her asthma up so bad we are doing nebulizer treatments every four hours around the clock. Most recently, 4 of my daughters classmates were diagnosed with "the flu" by their doctors yet they were in school with 103 degree fevers. My daughter keeps hand sanitizer in her desk, as well as in her lunch box. Her teacher has also been absent many, many times this year as well with whatever sickness the children are coming to school with. My daughter actually asked the teacher for a cleaning wipe to clean off her desk and the teacher told her, "there is no need to do that". Well, you bet the next day I sent in a plastic bag of cleaning wipes for my daughter and she cleaned off her desk.
It just really upsets me that these kids come to school spreading this garbage and subsequently my daughter is stuck with her asthma acting up and she in turn ends up having to stay home from school. Absolutely disgusted could not even begin to describe it.
Well, I vented and feel a little better now. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Sick Kids Being Sent To School AGAIN

DS's daycare center had a case of whooping cough two summers ago and EVERYONE -- teachers and kids all had to be put on preventative antibiotics (zithromax).

Last weekend I was at the store and a little girl was sitting in a cart ahead of us and had a nasty green boogery nose, just running down her face and she was gnawing on the cart handle. Why in the world wouldn't a parent wipe that stuff off. Bleah!

Old 04-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
(female)

dannysmom HB User

I started a thread about this last winter. (parents and their sick kids) In short, I absolutely agree with you!

Old 04-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
(female)

misguideddream HB User

I agree with you. Its horrible that people would knowingly send sick children to school. 1)Their child should be at home resting and getting well and 2)its very irresponsible and seflish to send a sick child to school/daycare to potentially infect other kids.

My son is 2 y/o and has been in daycare since he was 9 weeks. He's caught colds, Hand-foot-mouth disease, and you'd be surprised with the amount of illnesses that have gone around this daycare! Its insane, but at the same time, I'm glad my son is going through this and building up immunities at this age, instead of thisall affecting him when he's in kindergarten and possibly missing school because of it.

Closed Thread