It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

nicky2005 HB User
18mth old food habits?

DS is 18mths old but still does not talk a lot so is not able to tell me when he is hungry. I usually feed him when i think he is hungry or when he starts getting cranky and naughty. Can 18mths old tell when they are hungry?

Old 04-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User
Re: 18mth old food habits?

My DD is 19 months old and she will let me know when she wants something. She will take me into the kitchen and point or ask for crackers or juice. She has a schedule for whens he eats. She eats breakfast at 8, lunch at 12:30, and dinner at 5:30. She will get snacks in between those times also. If she is hungry she lets me know. She does pretty well with this schedule. She has always had a schedule since she was like 6 weeks old.Its been really great having one.Sometimes if i can't figure out what she wants i just ask her to show mommy what she wants.She just takes me to it and points and it may take a little time, but i get it figures out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
(female)

nicky2005 HB User

DS too has a schedule where he eats breakfast at 9, lunch 12 30 and dinner between 5 30 and 6pm. He eats snacks in between but he never asks for it. Its very rarely he will go to the fridge and ask for milk but he has done that a few times.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I wouldn't worry. It sounds like he has a good schedule. If he wanted something. He would find a way to let you know. Even if he can't say it. I have found with my DD if she wants something bad enough she finds a way to let me know what she wants. I think that if he was really getting that hungry he would let you know it in some way. I really am all about the schedule thing. I think its really good for their little lives. I wish you the best.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
(female)

nicky2005 HB User

I do agree about the schedule thing. Its so good for them and us too. I have seen some kids with no schedule and they seem totally lost.
Has your DD show interest in potty training yet?

Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
(female)

misguideddream HB User

DS is 2 y/o and he communicates hunger by saying "eat eat", lol. :P
When he was 18 months, he had 3 meals a day. As toddlers, they go through phases where they'll barely touch anything and then some days they'll pig out. As they are growing, their eating habits change. My son's pediatrician said to not fret if my son doesn't eat much some days. I also offer my son a sippy of juice or milk every hour or so, to make sure he stays hydrated.

Last edited by misguideddream; 04-25-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

My DD has shown intrest in potty training. I don't think she is really ready yet though. She wants to sit on the potty when we do. She has even come to me and said mommy poopy. So i put her on the potty chair and let her sit for a mintue or so. Then got her off and put a diaper back on her. As soon as i put the diaper on she pooped. When i ask her if she is wet or dirty then she grabs her diaper. We have tryed potty training and it just wasn't working. I don't think she really understands it all yet. I have been reading a book that says they need to see themselves go to the bathroom. They don't relize that they have that stuff coming out of their body. I think that is true. The other day after a bath. While i was drying off DD she peeped on the floor and said oh. Like she was really suprised that it just came out of her like that. I think we are on our way to the potty training. Just not quit there yet. How about you?

Old 04-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #8
(female)

nicky2005 HB User

DS also is the same. He wants to sit on his potty chair when we do. A few weeks back he went and stood outside the bathroom and said he wants to go potty. I took his diaper off and made him sit on his potty chair but i think it felt cold to him so he sat for a few mintues and then got up so i put his diaper back. But for the past 2 months he does go pee pee when he takes a bath. To begin with DH showed him how to go pee and we would tell him to do the same. In begining he did not understand whats going on and sometimes he would go pee pee but not always but now we tell him to go pee when he is still in the bathtub before we take him out and he goes pee pee. I think he knows whats pee but if i try to get him to pee during the day he wont. Also, after he poops he comes to me most of the time and tells me he has pooped. I dont know what i more i should do to make him use the potty chair during the day. Any idea?

Closed Thread