It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

croppingmom HB User
Perforated Eardrums Part II

Today we finished our 10 days of Amoxacillon plus we did ear drops for 7 days. While at dinner tonight my son tells me his other ear is itchy and kinda hurts. We go to the doctor for a follow up in the morning. I am just frustrated how can he have yet another ear infection since he was on antiiotics. When we were at the doctors last week this ear had a lot of fluid in it. I want to ask about tubes but don't you have to have a certain number of ear infections first. Also is it better to keep being put on antibiotics or getting tubes. I will also be asking about a hearing test. He has been in speech all school year but the last 6 weeks or so his speech has been regressing. I know it is most likely becouse of the fluid in his ears. He is having trouble with his r's again. Thanks for listening

Old 05-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: Perforated Eardrums Part II

I hope your son is starting to feel better now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
(female)

croppingmom HB User

He is feeling better, however we went for the follow up this past Monday and the ear that perforated is already with fluid behind it. We have and appointment with an ENT/Audologist tomorrow. One of the other moms told me to have his adnoids taken out and get tubes. I understand tubes but why adnoids? I just satdown to research that.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

That too bad there's more fluid behind it...again! I've been having the same reocuring problem, except it's happened 3 times now, the last time being a day or two ago. It's amazing how quick it can go from...my ear hurts and itches, to there's pus coming outta my ear! If my ear gets infected again after this round of augmentin, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up seeing an ENT...

Old 05-12-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
(female)

croppingmom HB User

We went to the ent yesterday. I felt really good with the doctor. My sons right ear has a lot of scarring from the reoccuring ear infections and perforations. We did hearing test, one were they test with air and the other with the beaping. He also had to repeat about 25 words. He has about a 10% hearing loss in his right ear. He said most likely he did not hear out of that ear the first 4 years of his life which attributes to his speech difficulties. We are in a wait and see situation. His right eardrum can't handle surgery and if we did it could cause more damage than good. Kinda a wait and see situation now, he will out grow alot of this.
With that being said, I have had several people tell me to take him to see a Chiropractor to help relieve the fluid build up and prevent infections. I see a chiropractor for myself for back pain and headaches and he does wonders for me. I just never thought about taking my child for ear problems. I spoke with my chiropractor about it and he explained what would need to be done and how it works. He said we would first do xrays and go from there. Have you ever heard of this. Any other home remedies wives tales etc. I am open to suggestions.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

I've heard about chriorpactic work in relation to ear infections, but am not extremely informed about it. I've never had any done myself.

Closed Thread