It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
(female)

srak34 HB User
UTI or potty traing issue? For a toddler

Hi
My daughter is 2.5 and recently we have been trying to potty train her, a few days ago she had an accident in her panties, just pee... and she did not like it. I told her its ok, that happens when you are learning.
Since that accident she keeps holding her pee, she will jump around and do everything not to go, tonight we put her on her potty and basically told her to sit and potty and did not let her up, she did alot of pee.... before this we put a diaper on she would not go in it at all...

I dont know if she is just scared to go for some reason, or if maybe she has a UTI. Do any of you have exp with this? any advice would be appreciated.

By the way she is my 2nd daughter and my first was not like that, I know they are all different..

Old 05-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: UTI or potty traing issue? For a toddler

I'm not sure why she's doing it...but if it was a UTI she would have some burning and would most likely not be able to hold her pee in. Sounds like something has her a bit nervous, but I'm not sure what. Good luck, I'm in the potty training boat myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
(female)

srak34 HB User

thanks, I was just worried but I think its just the potty training issue, she does not want to go in the diaper, or the potty, but Ive been giving her a few m&m's and stickers to coax her!
how do you do it?

Old 05-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

If she doesn't respond positively, just let it go for now. The best advice I ever got from my ped was when the oldest of our three was 2 1/2. I am a teacher and was bound and determined he was going to get potty trained while I was on Christmas break. He wasn't responding and I actually the doctor in tears. When he called me back that day he said to me, "Just let it go and relax. He won't go to kindergarten in diapers." That really put it all into perspective for me. I just told him that since he wasn't going in the potty mommy and daddy couldn't keep doing all that extra laundry so he was going to have to wear diapers until he told us he was ready to go potty. Six months later, at the age of 37 months, he woke up one morning and just told me he had to go potty. That was it. He was literally trained that day. So, we did it the same way with our second (of course we always talked it up and encouraged it, took them to the bathroom with us sometimes, etc. along the way) and he did the same type of thing, at 38 months. We followed suit with our daughter, and she trained herself at 34 months. It is so easy that way and soooooooooooooo stress free.

Nancy

Old 05-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
(female)

srak34 HB User

that is good advice, I guess I get too caught up in hearing a friend say my daughter was potty trained at 26 months... so makes me almost feel like Im not doing the right thing as a mom, thanks I think I will take yer advice I dont want my daughter to be upset....

Old 05-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I've got an almost 3-year old whom we thought was just about potty trained and this week, I've noticed he's having accidents. The daycare just called and said he peed thru his clothes twice this morning and when I asked if they thought he was regressing, they didn't think so -- wasn't his normal behavior. Now I'm feeling like a horrible parent because I yelled at him last night for peeing his pants at the dinner table.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the big thing that I have noticed is when someone says something like,'well my son was potty trained at like 2 or3 but still has accidents at night'well,to me,that is not potty trained at all.I tried to really push it with my first son because he was doing everything else really early,I figured this wouldn't be any sort of actual problem(silly me).it seemed the more I talked about it and pushed him to do it,the more problems we had and the more frustrated we both got.

it wasn't til my ped also told me to just let it go,that things finally turned around.this was how things went with my second one too,only he went wayyy too long,but when they both knew what the needed to do and they had their potty and the cool underwear and you just could tell that they were both more than ready and knew what to do,thats when I let it go.

The thing is,by letting them decide when they really wanted it,neither one has ever ever had an accident.i kept expecting it,but it just never happened.They just have to actually make up their mind at some point that this is what they really want to do,then it seems to be kind of 'done' at that point.it was just 'their' time.

all you can realistically do is to make sure that it really IS the right time,some people just expect wayy too much from like a two year old,and thats not good for either the child or the parent and just leads to alot of frustration and problems.once you really know that they are fully aware of the ins and outs of the whole situation and the expectations,just kind of ease up on it.i really do think that when you try and force it,they just naturally want to push back,you know?

as soon as I stopped trying to make this like the number one priority,things relaxed and both my boys were totally and completely potty trained in every way.now my second son,we had to wait way much longer than i really wanted(honestly,he was about four)but when he finally made up his mind,with me getting just a bit more pushy by this time,as pre school would be starting and here we were,it was just totally and completely 'done'.i think by that time,the thought of not being able to go to preschool if he was still in diapers really helped.he was just not,and still really isn't a highly motivated kid.unfortunetly,we found out at age 12 that he actually had had a liver and kidney disease all that time and eventually needed a transplanted liver,so I am thinking that this also played a huge part in why it took so long for him to just make up his mind about usig the potty.

just give them the basics and once you know that they for sure know just exactly what the expectations are and what they need to do,just back off and let them take it over from there.I swear,in talking with other parents about their potty training methods,those of us who didn't push it,and didn't make it that huge "must do' kind of issue,have had the most success in getting the kids potty trained and without the reoccurance of those accidents.i think it just gives them the feeling that they DO have some control over something in a world where mom and dad make all the decisions for them,ya know what I mean?i hope it all ends well.good luck,marcia

Old 05-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I'm thinking that DS might be constipated and that it's pushing up against his bladder. He said his tummy hurt at school yesterday. I took him in to have his urine and bloodsugar tested yesterday. Last night he was sitting at the table and said I peeing, so it almost sounds like an urgency problem. Started him on some milk of mag and hopefully that'll help. It's just he's gone from being completely dry in the mornings and during the day to peeing constantly thru his clothes.

Closed Thread