It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

cinkiz HB User
Re: high fever

I need somebody's help or any information anyone can give to me out there. My friend has a son that is 2 years and 9 months old. He has been in the hospital since this Friday with a high fever of 103, 104, and 105.

This has happened to him before a couple months back where his fever was so high that he had a seizure. He was rushed to the hospital and given medicine and tested and everything came back okay. He was then released the next day after his fever went down. Once again no explanation.

Now it has started again and there is no explanation to it. The doctors keep telling my friend that his blood work and white cells are fine. There is nothing abnormal about them. Today at around 7 p.m. his fever went down to 99 degrees but just in a couple of hours shot right back up to 104.5.

The doctors don't have any answers and have ruled out bacterial meningitis with out giving him a lumbar puncture because he can move his neck and joints and the juvenile arthritis has also been ruled out.

I have read about this Mediterranean virus out there and yes both there parents have that background so they have told the doctors about it and are patiently waiting for them to look into it.

He has no other symptoms except for the high fever. He has lost so much weight because he won't eat because of the high fever and is on an IV. He is wetting his diaper which is a good sign the doctors say but still have no answers. He is lethargic and not coherent at all.

I BEG ANYONE THAT HAS ANY INFORMATION OR ANYTHING RELATED TO PLEASE PLEASE

Last edited by moderator2; 11-13-2006 at 07:53 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2006, 01:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi

Has he had any renal tests done? The kidneys help to regulate body temp, even though he is wetting his diaper he may still have some renal problems.

Also, my son had meningitis when he was 3 years old, it was the viral type, he was severly ill even with the viral type, and the hospital done a lumber puncture to ensure it wasnt the bacterial form. The lumbar punctures are very uncomfortable and im sure if the hospital suspected this they would test him. It could be viral meningitis that he has, my son had all of these symptoms you are describing, but he was also being violently sick.

If it is something viral it will clear up eventually without medication.

I hope he is ok soon

Old 11-13-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

cinkiz HB User

I don't think he has had any renal tests. I will call my friend and ask him. Thank you for your reply.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User

My daughter has been having problems with high fevers often but without the seizures but her dr is looking into periodic fever it will only show on the blood work when they are having a fever,It is kinda rare and alot of dr's don't know about it. I would look into it.
C

Old 02-04-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
(female)

Jennifer90 HB User

My son has been diagnosed with Periodic Fever Syndrome. It started around 3 years of age with very high fevers, 104 degrees, and lasting 10 days. From the ages of 3-7 the fevers would last 10 days and on the 11th day would spontaneously stop. It wasn't until age 7 that they went beyong 11 days, going 20-24 days. It was then we saw a immunologist at a children's hospital that told us he has Periodic Fever Syndrome. He will now get a dose of a steroid, prednisone, for a few days at the onset of a fever and it will take care of it. Unfortunately, the fevers are now coming back every 4 weeks like clockwork, but the steroid stops the fever immediately. My son, like your friend's son, had normal blood tests. The only thing was that the sed. rate came back a little irregular twice. He has no other symptoms other than the fever. My son has the PHAPA form of Periodic Fever Syndrome. Hope this helps! I went 4 years with no answer to the reason he was getting these fevers. Good Luck.

Closed Thread