It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #1

havnit HB User
Severe Heartburn / Stomach Aches

My 7 year old daughter has been getting really bad stomach aches, heartburn, and diarrhea. I'm not sure if these symptoms are all connected to 1 problem or separate problems. Last year I took her to a pediatric GI doctor and he said sounds like she is lactose intolorant. So I cut out all milk, casien, and whey. This seemed to work for awhile but now she is starting to get really bad stomach aches again along with diarrhea and occasional vomiting. As well as severe heartburn. I have been keeping a journal of her symptoms here is a copy of just a few days:

Day 1:

3:10 PM Heartburn
3:30 PM Heartburn & Stomach Ache
5:00 PM Heartburn & Stomach Ache
6:00 PM Heartburn
6:45 PM Stomach Ache & Diarrhea

Day 2

5:00 AM Nauseous & Vomiting
7:00 AM Nauseous & Vomiting
11:30 AM Nauseous
1:45 PM Heartburn
2:15 PM Stomach Ache
7:45 PM Nauseous

Day 3

6:00 PM Heartburn
7:30 PM Heartburn
8:15 PM Heartburn
9:30 PM Diarrhea

This is on a daily basis.

In the last 3 years she has had 2 Inguinal Hernia surgeries. After doing a search on the internet for causes of severe heartburn I found that a possibility is a Hiatal hernia. Which normally I would just brush the idea of that to the side but considering that she has had 2 previous surgeries for hernias in the past really makes me wonder if this could be the cause of her symtpoms.

I am taking her to the doctor Monday. But in the mean time I would just like so ideas as to what this could be or if anyone has experienced this before.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

sdjansen HB User
Re: Severe Heartburn / Stomach Aches

Have you researched Celiacs disease at all?

Old 01-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #3

havnit HB User

Actually today when searching on the internet I ran across celiac disease and she has alot of the symptoms. With the exception of a few things. She is normal size and I read that it is a genetic disease and I has asked my family as well has my husbands family if they know of anyone with this disease and both families told me no.

Last week we had an upper GI done and the results came back normal. Tomorrow she goes back for a gall bladder ultrasound aswell as a cbc and cmp blood tests. If these come back normal I think I'm going to talk to the doctor about testing her for celiac disease.

Thank you

Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

What about ulcerative collitis? Have you taken her to a gastric surgeon? Do not let the name scare you. My sister was always ill as a child with her belly about a year into it my mother took her to a gastric surgeon-Thank God for him. He ran tests and diagnosed her, I think he really saved her life!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #5

havnit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itburns2004 View Post
What about ulcerative collitis? Have you taken her to a gastric surgeon? Do not let the name scare you. My sister was always ill as a child with her belly about a year into it my mother took her to a gastric surgeon-Thank God for him. He ran tests and diagnosed her, I think he really saved her life!

Is that the same thing as Crohn's disease? I was reading about Crohn's disease last night and she has those symptoms. But from what I understand many GI disorders mimic each other so it could be hard to get a diagnosis.. She had some blood work done earlier in the week CBC and CMP I hope I get the results today.. Maybe that will give us a more clear idea of whats going on inside her little body.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

My sister, when she was 9 years old, also had heartburn, stomach aches. After countless, pointless doctor appointments, another doctor diagnosed her with a stomach ulcer.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #7

havnit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheinsane View Post
My sister, when she was 9 years old, also had heartburn, stomach aches. After countless, pointless doctor appointments, another doctor diagnosed her with a stomach ulcer.
I was kinda hoping it would of been just an ulcer (easily treatable) but her doctor did an upper GI and they said they didn't see an ulcer, her esophagus looked normal and her stomach appeared to be functing properly.

I called her doctor today and they said they had the results of the blood work in and the nurse was looking at it but she would have to consult with the doctor and call me back.. They never called back.. So I guess I'll have to wait till Monday before I find out the results.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

I hope it all works out!! Have you checked with a gastric surgeon yet? I just think it would be easier on all of you to go straight to the source instead of her getting poked and prodded with no answers.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #9

havnit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itburns2004 View Post
I hope it all works out!! Have you checked with a gastric surgeon yet? I just think it would be easier on all of you to go straight to the source instead of her getting poked and prodded with no answers.
Thank you... We got the results of the blood work and it was all normal. Her doctor recommended we go ahead and see a GI doctor. We have an appt for Feb. 14.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Havnit, has anyone considered food allergies. Both my daughter and myself have had all of these symptoms from food allergies.

Closed Thread