It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

mommy4raegan HB User
potty training help for my almost 3 year old

my DD will be 3 in April and this week starting potty training. She has all the signs of readiness - including sitting on the potty. So Wednesday and Thursday got a few pee pee's in the potty. Come Friday - she DOES NOT want to sit on it. I have tried everything from Candy, sticker charts, to toys to no movies. She wants to take a "nap" because the first 2 days I had her sleeping with a pull up opn and at night too. So mow she holds it until nap time and pees and poops in the bed (the last 2 days, nap time was with underware, but bed time is still in a pull up). I can not get her to sit on the potty. Last night she stared at me while she peed on the floor. And here is th thing, she tells me she has to go?

What do I do? Any advice I would truely appreciate. I know it has only been 5 days, but I cant get her to sit on the potty. Oh and it is a toddler potty chair.

Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: potty training help for my almost 3 year old

Hang in there! It will happen but it will not happen till SHE makes up her mind to do it herself. I know she seems "old" for this, but the average age is between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 and it can happen overnight, literally. When our oldest was 2 1/2 I was on Christmas break and bound and determined we were going to get him potty trained before I went back to school. He seemed to have other ideas. I called the ped who told me to relax, that he would not go to kindergarten in diapers! That was the best advice anyone could have ever given to me. He turned three the following May and in June one morning he came walking into my room where I was still sleeping and told me, "Mommy, I have to go potty". It literally happened like that, that very day. We had no accidents and except for bedtime till the following summer, he never needed another pull-up. It happened almost the exact same way with our next son and later on, our daughter. Our second was 3 years, 2 months when it happened and our daughter was 2 years, 11 months. So, just put her back in pull ups and diapers and tell her to let you know when she is ready to go in the potty like a big girl. It will happen and if she knows she has control it may happen sooner rather than later.

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

My almost 4 year old was impossible to train and still has a lot of accidents although the latest ones seem to be stemming from a UTI.
Anyway, what finally did work was spending a morning (or more) toilet training a teddy bear. There is a book that I think is called "Potty training in 1 day) that I used as a guide. It worked great although you need to be creative and quick to get the fake poo and pee in the potty without them catching you. My son went from having almost all movements in this diaper and pants to having most in the potty within 2 days.
Good luck!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

my son is turning 3 next month and is starting to get the potty training thing down. What has worked for us was using a little potty and having it in whatever room we are in. We had to keep him bare at first which was amazing because when he is naked he won't have any accidents. Then we tried having him wear a pull up or underwear with no pants on and we just had to keep reminding him. We rewarded him with stickers for going potty. Well it has been king of cold in our house and he insisted on wearing pants which has resulted in lots of accidents before so i figured I would let him wear pants with a pull up on and I would just need to remind him a ton. Well just in the past few days he has started pulling down his pants and pull up all by himself and going in the potty. He only has accidents at night or soemtimes I think right when he wakes up with a full bladder and I don't go get him right away. He probably isn't at the point tocall me in his room so I can take him to the potty so i am going to leave the potty in his room at night so he can use it in the morning. When I am sure he is capable of not having accidents at all I am going to put him in underwear. It is defintately a process. Some kids catch on faster than others.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
(female)

sapphiregem HB User

my dd had the hardest time at night letting go of her pull ups...finally we started a chart, she LOVES stickers, it was posted on the fridge...we cut her drink intake after dinner to 1/2 a CUP and then potty before we go to bed...and in morning if she was dry she got a sticker, and after 1 week she was given $5 for her to spend as she wanted (she bought more stickers believe it or not)i gradually started not waking up and immediately asking if she was dry, i would wait for her to bring it up, things get old fast...then 1 week nothing was mentioned till day 5, she goes HEY i didnt get any stickers, and i said and you didnt wet, she had the biggest smile, after that we waited 2 months and finally i tossed the pull ups, but those 2 months she would still wear them to bed and as soon as she woke it was toilet and new undies on

Old 01-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
(female)

jdbubbles3 HB User

my sis was probably the easiest kid. a lttle after she turned 2 my mom decided to try potty training. so one day she sat her on the toilet, and waited. she went pee. basically from there she would go sit on her potty. she wore pull ups during the day, and diapers at night. now she wears panties during the day and pull ups at night. she hates to be wet, and will tell you when she wakes up. if she has to go in the middle of the night she gets up and goes. the same if she is in the middle of doing somethiing, she stops and goes potty. i guess she is so easy because she is with all older people. there is her parents, then all of the siblings which are 21, 20, 18, 16, and 14. all i can say is good luck!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
(female)

Varga28 HB User

It seems to me that it is a will thing. My daughter did the same thing. Even the looking at us and peeing on the floor thing. She really liked to use that when we put her in time out for misbehaving. It was something she had controll over and it was a way of her showing her will over ours. We "tried it all" too even promising a toy kitchen if she stayed dry for the week. Well as soon as she got her kitchen she stopped going on the potty. Talk about frustrating. She is fully potty trained even at night now (it happened at 3years and3-4 months old) and there was no magical solution except for putting her back into pullups full time and putting no pressure on her what so ever. And keeping our cool. The only thing that I would mention to her once in a while was that she couldn't go to school if she wasn't going on the potty.(she really wants to go to school) Eventually one day she said she wanted to go on the potty and after I helped her she said she didn't want to wear the pullups anymore. The next day she had an accident which really seemed to discourage her and she wanted to wear pullups again. I was really frustrated but didn't let it show and simply put a pull up on her. The next time she had to pee she told me and realized she could do it. As for night time she did it on her own in about 2 weeks accident free. Its amazing how fast children can learn something when they are ready. Instead of pushing. Even the sticker thing can be pressure for the little ones. Because like everyone else who likes to fail.
Hope it helps.
Varga28

Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
(female)

Jillian68 HB User

I have a teenager in diapers so I'm definitely not one to offer advice on potty training.

Closed Thread