It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
(female)

nikki2006 HB User
stomahe issues with 4 year old..

Hi there, i apologise for this being long but maybe someone has some ideas..

for a long time now, id say noticabley for a year or so, my 4 year old gets a sore stomache.. we will be walking down the road and he'll hold is stomache, say "ouch" and then carry on walking.. its spontanious, i was putting it down to him drinking his drinks to fast becasue for a while there i noticed he'd drink then say his tummy was sore.. sometimes i thougt it was an excuese to get out of things such as going to bed or going to kindy on the days he'd rather stay home.. one day, not to long ago we were walking to kindy and he said his tummy was sore, i said, "youll be fine" and we carried onto kindy.. he seemed fine, then when we were walking home, he threw up! once he threw up he was fine..

about a month ago, maybe two months, he started saying his penis hurt..again, he'd just be watching tv or playing and all of a sudden grab it saying it hurt.. well i took him to the dr and the dr said that he was just growing, he tested for an infection and that came back clear.. so i excepted that, but he is still saying at times that it hurts..

now, the nite before last, he was fine all day, we had a bbq dinner, he had tea, reluctantly and at 2 in the morning threw up.. at one point he held his stomache and actually took himself off the couch onto the floor, curled in a ball and holding his stomache saying his tummy hurt,, he gave the impession that it was a sharp pain..he pinpointed his lower tummy just above the groin area.. his temp was up but with pamol came down.. the
next day he just lay on the couch all day, wouldnt eat, wouldnt drink, but this morning woke up good as gold.. today he had the penis thing happen where it hurt, just for a second or two then he carried on playing..

I have crohns disease and no that there is a chance he could develp that but have spoken to the dr who has said unless he starts getting diarreah, then he wouldnt worry about it, but i am wondeiring if there could be something else going on with him.. i was thinking last night that it could be his apendix? and perhaps he is confusing the penis pain with his lower abdomin.. four year olds arent very well exquipt at describing pain so perhpahs something liek that could be haphpening?

do you think i should be concered about this?

at this stage he experiances bouts of pain moves on pretty quickly, so its not bothering him to bad that i can tell, unless he has just become accustiomed, i dont know.. any thoughts?

sorry this was soooooo long, thank you to anyone who reads..

Last edited by nikki2006; 02-24-2007 at 01:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
(female)

yesmetoo HB User
Re: stomahe issues with 4 year old..

It sure sounds like it could be urinary tract related. Is there a pediatric urologist in your area?
I have a problem with inflammation in the base of my bladder and urethra that can be quite painful at times but reveals no infection when a urinalysis is done. My urologist who (who is a pediatric urologist and also treats women) gave me sulfa drug to treat the inflammation. In times past when I've had a bad flare she has put a medicine called Argyrol into my bladder via catheter. I have to hold it for 15 or so minutes rolling on each side and lying on my back for 5 minutes each. It penetrates the tissues and reduces inflammation.
I have to have a bladder and renal ultrasound done in a few weeks. This is non-invasive and might be something your doctor could order for your little boy. It is certainly worth investigating further. Especially since it is persisting with him and causing him sharp pains in his bladder area and penis (urethra?). There are other possibilities such as a urethral stricture which can be evaluated by a urologist, too.
You are right to be concerned. Hope this helps and hope he is feeling better soonest.
Yesmetoo

Old 02-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
(female)

yesmetoo HB User

Hi Nikki,
Just another thought. I told my husband about this and he told me that he had a double hernia (one on each side of his groin area) when he was just 5 years old that required surgery.
That is something a general practitoner can check and also a pediatric urologist.
I had a client whose husband had stomache pain (rolling, radiating and tightening pain) for two years before a good urologist finally discovered he had a hernia in his (very low) abdomen. Up until then they dismissed it as irritable bowel syndrome.
Evidentally it was hard to detect on him because he underwent many tests including an abdominal CT scan and they didn't find it.
Best wishes with your little boy. Let us know what you find out.

Take good care of yourself,
Yesmetoo

Old 02-26-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
(female)

nikki2006 HB User

thanks for your helpful replys yesmetoo.. I have decided i will get him checked out again by the doc.. figure it might be a good idea to just keep going back each time he has another bout of whatever it is.. he is fine at the moment hasnt complained for two days so i will wait until he does so that perhaps the doc can catch something while its happening.. i will keep you posted.. thanks alot for your help!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you have gotten some really great advice here,i just wanted to add and say that you DO need to keep on this.anytime a child complains of continuing pain anywhere,it needs to be evaluated further,always.you just never really know what is going on within anyones body.it could be some sort of congenital problem that just has not been fully revealed yet.just make sure this doc takes you and your sons issues seriously and follows up on things.just don't let him blow you off as an 'overly worried mommy'.

also keeping track of all his ongoing symptoms in a notebook or something or even getting one of those little day planner type calenders that you can just jot down a few notes on any given day he has some sort of complaint or actually throws up or something else out of the norm will really help when seeing his doc again.i did this when my son was going thru liver failure and believe me,it sure did help toms in keeping track of everything that was going on with him as far as symptoms.

I hope this is nothing overly serious,but just stay on track with this til you get the right answers.please keep us posted on how he is doing.good luck,marcia

Closed Thread