It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
(male)

cldfltr HB User
4 month old's feet and hands turn purple

Recently, I've noticed that my 4 month old daughter's feet and hands will turn purple, and this is sometimes accompanied by pink splotches in the affected areas. This happens sporadically, and her hands and feet don't seem to be cold to the touch when this occurs. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort whatsoever when this happens, and there doesn't seem to be any one thing that triggers it. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Re: 4 month old's feet and hands turn purple

My kids got this all the time when they were babies. Babies at this age circulatory systems are still not as fully developed as yours and ours. Which isn't a cause for concern and it's normal. Massage is helpful. Swollen hands and feet would be more concerning. My doctor told us time and time over about the circulation thing. If you still feel uneasy, you can call your peditricians office and ask to speak with a nurse. Tell them what's going on and ask if it's normal. This will ease your mind - after all, us moms need a little comforting words too now and then.

God bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
(female)

IndyGal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldfltr View Post
Recently, I've noticed that my 4 month old daughter's feet and hands will turn purple, and this is sometimes accompanied by pink splotches in the affected areas. This happens sporadically, and her hands and feet don't seem to be cold to the touch when this occurs. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort whatsoever when this happens, and there doesn't seem to be any one thing that triggers it. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Does your daughter's lips or fingerbeds look bluish or purplish as well? To be on the safe side, you need to bring this to your pediatrician's attention. Babies with cardiac problems can also present with cyanosis (bluish/purple color.)

Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

My dd's hands and feet do that as well. I bring it up to the ped every visit, but every visit he tells me that she's fine. I was concerned because my daycare provider's daughter has Reynaud's Syndrome (sp?) which is a condition that causes that, but they are also cold. I would bring it up, but chances are she's fine.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
(male)

cldfltr HB User

Thanks for the replies. I called the pediatrican before my first post, and the nurse I talked to, told me not to be too concerned about it if she seems to be healthy otherwise. I was told that much of the babies energy is focused on things such as digestion which draws the blood to the babies core, causing the extremities to become purple. As she gets older, and her circulatory system matures, it should go away. Of course I'm still concerned it could be a more serious problem such as a heart issue, but seeing that this really has happened to others makes me feel a little better. Her lips or face are not purple, her hands are not cold, she still grips well, doesn't have a fever, her heart checked out fine at the last doctors visit, and she still seems very happy, so I guess I'll just monitor this and let you know if anything further materializes here. Thanks again for your input.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

this could be a something or a nothing,its just one of those gray area type things,you know what i mean?since the doc doesn't appear to be too overly concerned i would just see how things go over like the next week or so,if this is still going on,i would again bring it to the peds attention and ask for some testing to be done to try and see if there is some sort of underlying cause.the one big thing you need to find out is just what the exact O2 saturation is in her blood.they can test this by blood work and also by using whats called a pulse oximeter.this measures the amount of oxygen in the blood.i don't know if they actually qould have one on hand at the peds office.its a little machine that you just clipone end to her fingertip and it will pick up the O2 sats in her circulating blood.this would also help in idnetifying any possible circulatory issues if it doesn't actually pick up a reading.but this is not a 'normal' thing to just have happen so it needs to be watched and noted and followed up on.this could turn out to be some little innocuous type of thing or an indicator of a possible medical problem,right now,it would be really hard to say either way,thats why this needs to be constantly monitored.

you might want to try and keep a little journal of events and symptoms and see if you can possibly see some sort of a pattern developing as far as appearance of symptoms following a particular event or food or anything that your child does during the day.you just never really know what can do what when it comes to our bodies.this might just help the doc try and find the cause.the fact that the extremities affected actually stay warm just makes this a bit more puzzling as far as triggers.but the warm is a good thing,really.

hopefully you will be able to explain this wierdness at some point.and soon.i know its hard to watch our children experience wierd things,espescially when they are really really young,but you will find out eventually,the key here is not to drive yourself absolutely crazy til you get there.i wish you both luck and hope this cause is found soon.please keep us posted on how things are going,K? marcia

Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
(male)

cldfltr HB User

Just wanted to give an update here, and let everyone know that I am closing this case. My daughters symptoms completely went away as she got older, and the physician said it was likely due to an immature circulatory system. From the age of six months on, we never again noticed her extremities turning purple. We just took her to a cardioligist, because she had heart murmer from birth to 3 mos., and that has apparently corrected itself as well. Just wanted to let people know that we were lucky and this didn't turn out to be a major issue. Thanks for all your replies

Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
(female)

peacefrog HB User

My granddaughter ( 6 mo.)had the same thing, and seems to have outgrown it as well. She will have another cardiologist visit in 6 months, but seems fine.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wanted to say that i am very happy that this finally disappeared in her.you did the right thing tho,anytime something 'odd' pops up in our kids,it should just be checked out.we are not docs,or most of us anyways,and sometimes something very small can mean bigger things.you just never know for sure ya know?glad she is doing well now.marcia

Closed Thread