It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
(female)

jemom6 HB User
Skin mole removal from child's face - is it a cosmetic surgery?

My 10-year-old daughter has a bump/mole on her chin which she was born with. I don't remember the exact medical term of the mole but a couple of dermatologists recommended we have it removed before puberty. This type of mole usually grows larger after puberty starts and have hair growing from them. In addition to being a cosmetic problem, they may become cancerous later in life. Would this be considered a cosmetic surgery? How do I look for a doctor to perform the procedure, what questions to ask?

Unfortunately, I am completely unfamiliar with these procedures.

jemom6

Old 03-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
(female)

WaytoGo14 HB User
Re: Skin mole removal from child's face - is it a cosmetic surgery?

Hi jemom,

Look for a dermatologist that will do the procedure in office, so you won't have to see two people and make two appointments. This sounds like a mole that they will cut out. It means they will numb the skin either with some ointment or with a small injection. That won't hurt. They will then put a small device around the mole and sort of scoop it out. She might need one or two stitches. You will then need to keep the stitches moist by using either the ointment the dermatologist gives you, or just use neosporin. After a week you go back for a check-up. It will take another 6 weeks for all traces to sort of disappear. The chin has lots of extra skin so it will not really scar.
They will biopsy the mole they took out, just as a precaution.

Ask the dermatologist to not mark it as a cosmetic procedure. In order to have that done, you may need to obtain a referral from your pediatrician. If they do mark it as a cosmetic procedure the insurance will pay for the biopsy but not for the "surgery" which will be between 200 and 300 dollars...

My guess would actually be - seeing that you were told it would be wise to remove it - you will not have trouble getting it marked as preventive care.

Good luck!

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

all her doc has to do is call it 'suspicious' and everything should be covered as far as insurance goes.i have had to have two moles removed from my face that were just big,not really all that suspicious of anything,but in order for my ins to pay my doc just called them suspicious and they do automatically send them to pathology anyways but this solved my problem with ins co.i did however have a real black sudden appearing mole removed from my back and it actually was a basal cell.

did they happen to call this something like a nevis,angioma or strawberry birthmark or anything specific?Marcia

Old 04-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
(female)

plainjayne HB User

it can be classed as cosmetic depending on if you want it to be removed just because yoy dont like it,it should be removed if a doc says it could potentially become cancerous in later years or cosmetic in terms of psychological problems i had a few moles removed im in the uk but my doctor just did it in his office and it only took a few minutes

Closed Thread