It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

ElfieNLynx HB User
HELP!! My Son Keeps Getting Nosebleeds

It has been going on for a few months. He is only getting nosebleeds on one nostril, and my husband keeps trying to reassure me that it is because our house is very dry and that he does pick at his nose when he is asleep.

But I am getting immensely scared. Today he has had one all morning long, it keeps coming back.

I read that having a dry house can lead to these things but I am afraid it might be worse. I had a dear friend of mine die of leukimea and that was the first sign was constant nosebleeds.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I am going to make a doctor's appoint ASAP, but getting an appointment could mean that he won't see the doctor for like a week or more.

For the time being though what can I do to avoid them, or to stop them when they happen. Right now I just have him hold a cold compress to his nose and lean over; I got that from a medical site, but what else can I do??

Also I keep asking him if he feels dizzy, sick, tired etc; anything that I think might mean there is more to this than dryness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
(female)

sarahponari HB User
Re: HELP!! My Son Keeps Getting Nosebleeds

hi i havent really got any advice, of course if you are worried you should go to the doctors. i dont know how old he is, but when i was between about 8 and 12 i used to get them alot, for no reason and most of the time they were really bad 1s, so it could be nothing, fingers crossed it is nothing and i hope they calm down soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User

My DS#1 is 7 years old, and he gets nosebleeds often, usually at night, but sometimes in the morning too. When he does get a nose bleed, after it seems to have stopped, I usually put vaseline inside his nose. It's kind of gross to do, but it does help a little bit to soften the lining of this nose, and keep it from getting more cracked and dry. His usually are related to dry weather and allergies. Good luck, and I hope everything turns out okay.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

ElfieNLynx HB User

He is 4 yrs old. Anyway when do you put the vaseline on, at night before bed or in the morning, or after the bleed??? Also how far do you place it up there.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
(female)

jgirl234 HB User

when i was little i used to get nosebleeds too. my gma told me that my father got them too. she told me he would bleed buckets of blood but i find that hard to believe! lol if i remember correctly i think it has something to do with the blood vessels in the nose busting or something like that. i used to pick my nose so that probably was the culprit! my gma used to wet washcoth with really cold water and put it on the back of my neck and that used to help it go away. if you try that maybe it'll help. give us an update after his doc's appt! if you think your house is too dry maybe a humidifier in your son's room will help? just a suggestion.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Elfie, does your son have allergies?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
(female)

ElfieNLynx HB User

No he has no known allergies so far. Tomorrow I'm buying a hudmidfier and see if that helps some. Since I still can't get ahold of the appointment operatior( you have to call an appointment center to schedule meetings with a doctor) I can't get an appointment, so I'm going to try the vasaline and get a hudmidfier and see if that helps us out a little bit.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Hi Elfie......I began getting nosebleeds when I was about 3 years old and got them almost daily until I was well into my teenage years. Some of my nosebleeds would last for hours without any break!!! Luckily, I outgrew them and have only had a couple of nosebleeds since then........and I am now 31.

Most likely, your sons bleeds are weather or allergy related. Like another poster said, try vaseline. It helps to keep things lubed up so to speak to avoid cracking, dryness, etc.

Also, when his nose bleeds, in addition to having him put his head down, also put some pressure or massage the bridge of his nose (using thumb and index finger) . That was recommended to my mother when I was younger and it did help to slow it down. Another thing........do not put his head back. You may find info out there that suggests that, but he'll end up swallowing blood.........and that always made me sick to my stomach.

Hope that helps some. Try not to panic.........most likely it's nothing to worry about, but see a doctor when you can just for reassurance.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Try a humidifier that is made for nursery's. They give out a stronger mist. Definitely get a cold mist (warm can harbor bacteria after a while.) one. My BIL had lots of nosebleeds too, and had to go to the hospital 2 times to have them cauterized (sp?). I am not sure what they determined that he had, but he plays alot of sports. I think dryness is a huge possiblity/probability b/c I know in NY it is SOOOO dry, and won't get better until warmer weather. Good luck, prayers too!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfieNLynx View Post
He is 4 yrs old. Anyway when do you put the vaseline on, at night before bed or in the morning, or after the bleed??? Also how far do you place it up there.
If he's having a bad allergy day, or if the air seems especially dry, I put the vaseline in his nose at bedtime. And I always put it in if he has had a nosebleed. I put it in as far as I can without hurting him. Oh yeah, and I do use a Q-tip

Old 03-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Just wanted to make a comment about humidifiers. I use a warm mist one. I tried the cold mist one once and I woke up with my head full of congestion. The cold humidifiers have large water droplets so I thought that this was why my head filled up with congestion. The warm humidifiers have small water droplets. These water droplets are so small that bacteria cannot ride on them, it is just humidity. The cold ones, with the large water droplets, bacteria can ride on these. When I worked in hospitals we were much more conscious about equipment that put out large water droplets. So my point is that the warm humidifiers cannot spread bacteria out in the air but the cold ones can stuff up your nose. I have come across many other people who got more stuffy with these cold ones. Just be reasonable about cleaning out the humidifier. I actually only dump it out once a week and scrub it down a bit.

Closed Thread