It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

purplepiegirl HB User
Fever for a week! Is this the flu?

My 8 yr old has been sick for almost a full week. He started off with a slight fever,headache and sore throat on Sat. It progressed throughout the day and his fever rose to 101 and he was achy. Throughout the week he has kept the fever. Usually above a 100 and has gotten as high as 103.9. His sore throat,aches and headache were gone the next morning but fever and tiredness has stayed. He has a terrible cough and stuffy nose with yellow discharge. I took him to the Dr. Wed and he seemed to think he has the flu(he did get his flu shot) he also has an ear infection. He was put on an antibiotic. Its Friday and he still has a fever. It was back up to 103 last night. He is coughing so bad its gagging him and when he sneezes blood is coming out this morning. What could this be and is it really bad to have a fever for almost a full week? He is eating and drinking just fine and wants to play and go outside. He has a history of allergies(which pollen is high in my area this week) pneomonia, and cough induced asthma. Any thoughts?

Old 03-30-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Fever for a week! Is this the flu?

Hey purple, we got the flu shot too this year and we also got the flu. It did cause bloody noses for us too. The doctor looked in my one daughter's throat and saw the blood and he said the virus is just breaking down the tissue a bit. My daughter's cough is really bad too. She had been coughing since the beginning of January. She went from viruses to tree pollens to the flu. She is such a cougher. If he is eating/drinking and being active he is probably okay.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

purplepiegirl HB User

Thats the thing too... the rest of us have not gotten it! Yet

Old 03-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

If you start getting any symptoms get the Tamiflu from your doc. This stuff works great. My one daughter brought the flu home and then my other daughter started getting it and this was when we figured out it was the flu. So when my husband and I started getting the irritated throat and the stomach pain we got this med and it stopped the symptoms very quickly and we didn't get the flu.

Closed Thread