It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User
Soft spot question

Hi there, my son is just a little over 3 years old and his soft spot has not completely closed over.
At two years old, we checked this out with our pediatrician, he did a head ultrasound and also bloodwork, everything turned out okay. He said developmentally he is fine and some kids just take longer to close over so not to worry.
I have also written to a doctor online who said also not to worry - some kids take until 3 years old....
I emailed him again yesterday because my son is now 3 years old and 3 months and it still has not closed over. It is about the size of a quarter - feels hard underneath when you touch it, but it's still soft on the surface.
He recommended we get it checked and potentially do a CT scan.
The thing is that 5 months ago, he took a bad fall and hit his head. At the emergency room, they did do a cat scan which I was really nervous of, because they advised that in small children, there is a very small risk of developing childhood leukemia. I even emailed this doctor online at the time and he said that it was unfortunate that he had to have one but it was necessary. But also to limit these type of tests, because radiation can be cumulative. I'm hoping the the CT scan we had done 5 months ago can be reviewed to also rule out any issues that would be connected with his soft spot not closing over.
Has anyone else had children that have taken this long to close over? And how did you deal with it?
Getting extremely anxious about this and would appreciate some input.

Thanks, Carsam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread