It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

bortega735 HB User
Unhappy Coughing, Wheezing, Hard Time Breathing

My daughter woke up Sunday morning with a horrible cough, it almost sounded like croup. Yesterday she woke up with a fever and was wheezing and having a hard time breathing so I took her to the doc. They checked her O2 levels and they were down to around 88 so they sent us to the hospital thinking it might be an pnemonia. At the hospital they took her temp which was at 102 and her oxygen was getting even lower. They gave her motrin and put her on oxygen. They also took a check xray but it didn't show anthing. After her fever went down they took her off the O2 and she was able to stay above 90 so they sent her home...no other tests, nothing. They said it was just a virus. Should they have done futher testing? She's 3 years old. It is Children Hospital so I"m sure they know what they are doing but I'm still a little concerned.

Last edited by bortega735; 04-03-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: Coughing, Wheezing, Hard Time Breathing

It could be just a virus. Kinda sounds like RSV. My youngest had that when she was 10 months. How is she doing now? Just keep a close eye on things and if she worsens, I'd take her back in. What does your GP say? Did you have to do a follow with him/her? Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
(female)

bortega735 HB User

This has just happened again to my daughter. Started out the same way with a barky cough and then the struggle to breath. I took her in and they could hear congenstion in her lungs. She was put on two different nebulizer treatments and another liquid steroid. She was on oxygen for 5 days. This morning she finally had clear lungs and was staying at 94 without the oxygen. They aren't taking any test or anything.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

Just happened to come across and remembered replying.
Looking back at when this first happened, in April, and now in October reminds me of what I went through in high school. Spring and Fall; with the weather changing, all the allergens and molds in the air I had the same symptoms. My doctor at the time called it "asthamatic bronchitus". Not a true asthma but not a true bronchitus either. I would wheez, cough till I would vomit at times. Back then, a shot of cortizone would have this gone in 24 hours! Now, doctors won't do that. I had problems because I grew up about 3blocks from the mighty Miss. They said b/c of all the mold from the river over half the town had this. I used an inhaler and still keep one handy. I've only had this once in 25 years since I would about 10 miles from the river; and that time it was bronchitus. Have they checked her for asthma? Is she subject to any mold? For me, a good old frost in the fall helped much and to sleep at an incline. But the fever? I don't recall this, yet I may have had one.
I know how miserable she must be when this happens. I would check for asthma, allergies, and note the weather and her activities when this happens.
Good luck. P.S. - a food?

Closed Thread