It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

4given1 HB User
Toddler loose stool issues...

Not a pleasant topic, but would love to know if any of you have experienced the same. My 3 y.o. daughter has always had very soft stools. (When I say soft, think soft-serve ice cream. Sorry!) I can only remember her having a formed movement twice when she was around 18 months. Took her to the pedi about a year ago with questions about this; we returned a sample and nothing remarkable showed up. (No bacteria, parasites, etc.) He said some toddlers just go through this and should resolve on its own eventually. I've tried cutting down on the juice, sugars, etc. to no avail. Unfortunately, she does not care for milk, therefore, it's not a lactose problem. She is very regular -- daily, like clockwork -- and has no other symptoms. (Though her movements are verrrrrrrrrry malodorous and very ample!!!!)

Please tell me someone else has dealt with/is dealing with this. What did your pedi have to say about it???

Thank in advance!

Last edited by 4given1; 05-07-2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add'l info

Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Toddler loose stool issues...

Hi 4given, does your daughter like yogurt? The acidophilus in the yogurt is very healthy for our normal flora in our gut. If she eats this just about everyday it might help with the odor and could help with the soft stool? Unhealthy normal flora can stink. Also, does she have any other stomach problems or allergies?

Last edited by Sannah; 05-07-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My son has allergies.. and he can be a stinker. He goes from forced constipation beause he refuses to go to really loose multi-colored BMs. Many things can cause variations in BM color.. from medication (anti-biotics... Omnicef is my favorite - blood red stool, mineral supplements, etc..) to diet and artificial food dyes.

Color can also be attributited to dyes in food the biggest ones are red and blue dyes. Red dye can give you black to dark red stool coloring. In particular blue food dye and coloring will turn your stool green. We noticed this when my son complained he had a pocket of green in his bottom staining his poop. His poop was green granny smith apple green.. well every one in the family and other friends had the same experience the after Dori - Blue fish B-day cake frosting eating incident we all had green poop.

Other things that will do it.. Trix cereal and lucky charms.. yeah, I had to eat some to confirm this out come. Turned me green too.

Eating more greens and eggs also induces green poop and increased sulfur content. Bacteria being off in the dietary tract is another source.

What do we do? If their is bad odor in conjunction with the discoloration we get activa yogurt and some fresh fruit.. blend it into a fruit slush and freeze it until it is the texture of soft serve. My son hates slime and goo.. freeze it up and he is good. The only other way we get it down our son is to get a healthy helping of the fruit in the activa and mix it with the activa.. make a yogurt covered fruit dish that will go down with encouragement. If your child likes yogurt more power to you and praise your lucky stars.

I am betting it is part diet and maybe a dietary tract imbalance. Has she been on anti-biotics of late.. been ill? To firm up the poop look into feeding her bananas and fruit hi in calcium and potassium. These fruits will cause constipation in most kids of normal stools, but should firm your child up.

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

If my nephew eats more then 1/2 a serving of fruit per day (any fruit) the same thing will happen.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

When they tested the poop, did they say anything about malabsorption? Did they check fecal fat amounts? Are some days worse than others when she eats things that are more fatter? Is she maintaining a good weight -- within at least the 50th percentile?

Could be nothing... Could be a digestive disorder, allergy, celiacs, cystic fibrosis (large bulky, stinky stools, sometimes greasy/shiny....)

Last edited by Ratatosk; 05-08-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
(female)

stcmom2 HB User

Many people and kids too have a slight case of irritable bowel disease, which is best treated by watching the diet. A lot of fiber and lower fat (maybe eliminating red meat) usually helps immensely.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

4given1 HB User

Thank you ALL so much for your ideas, suggestions and tips! She has never shown any signs of having allergies or stomach issues, so I don't imagine those things are the cause, though I'm certainly no doctor. I have been cutting back on the juice even further, and her stool does appear to be bulking up some. It's just so hard to cut out completely, as she refuses both water and milk, and I certainly don't want to give her soda. I'm going to try to push the yogurt/fruit concoction someone mentioned, as it's a rare occasion that she will even touch the stuff. Always something, it seems!

Thanks again -- I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond!

Last edited by 4given1; 05-14-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

I just have the opposite problem with DD. She is also 3. She withholds her BM and makes herself constipated. I have to keep mineral oil, mirolax, suppositories and benefiber on hand. Then, it will go to the other extreme, and she will mess her pants. Fun, fun, fun.

So, talking to her doc, was told to keep up the fiber (benefiber), because it will keep the bowel together. Making it not so loose, but yet easily passable. I would try this. The great thing about benefiber is it is tasteless, and a powder. You can mix it up with ANYTHING that she will eat/drink. If you want to get her to drink more water/less juice, trying mixing them. I will mix DD's water with her juice, 50% at first then 25%. This really gives her more water a day and less sugar. BUT remember that water helps to loosen stool, so be careful you don't make it worse. Good luck, and try increasing her fiber.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

4given, if she is drinking a lot of juice everyday this might be what is doing it!

Closed Thread