It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
3 year old cross eyed

This has just started a couple weeks ago. I have been out of town but have scheduled an appointment for when we return. His right eye is constantly drifting inwards when he is looking in certain directions. I have noticed for a while now he likes to sit right in front of the TV, a couple inches away. I am worried for him. Has anyone else had kids who have had this problem?

Old 05-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #2
(female)

Tenacious HB User
Re: 3 year old cross eyed

This is called Esotropia , I don't know much about it, except someone I know , their grandchild had this, and got surgery for the muscles and he has been wonderful ever since. Sometimes they do not need surgery though, make an appointment with a Pediatric Ophthmologist if you can, or just a regular Ophamoloogist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

I agree to see a pediatric opthamologist. My son had this same thing starting at about the time he turned four and he wears glasses which completely corrects it. He's six now and still has to wear them for his vision and astygmatism, but the eye turn is gone.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
(female)

karenn HB User

Before considering surgery, make an appointment with a behavioral optometrist/ vision therapist. You can also search that online. It is important to do that as soon as possible, since the younger the child is when the problem is adressed the less the brain will "compensate" by shutting the drifting eye down and not processing information from that eye so as not to see double.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

My son is 2, and has had this for a year. His eye sticks sometimes, and turn inward when he looks around. He has been going to a pediatric ophlamoligist for a year now. He goes every 6 months. He has another appt in June to see about getting fitted for glasses. The dr told us that while it looks like a serious problem, it isn't. But the younger you catch it, the better chance of getting it taken care of quicker. When I first noticed my son with it, he wasn't quite a year old yet, and it scared me a lot. But now I know what it is, so I feel somewhat better. I still feel bad for him though, because it is affecting him more and more. Since that eye shuts down basically when it turns or sticks, he can't see out of it at that time, and he falls and loses his balance. So that's something that I am going to have to talk with the eye dr about. But hang in there, it will all be ok. It's pretty common.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Thanks guys. I took him in to the eye doctor yesterday and he is very farsighted. he is plus 4 in one eye and plus 5.5 in the eye that is crosiing (although when he did his exam he could see both eyes doing some crossing.) Since he is straining to focus he has the crossing problem. I ordered his glasses but they take a week. I kind of wanted them right away. Hopefully the glasses will fix the problem.

Closed Thread