It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User
Potty Training Questions

Hello!
My DD will be 2 at the end of June. How can I tell when it is the right time to start potty training? She has used it 3 times, but nothing consistant. I think at the time it was fun for her rather than something she would have to continue doing. Now, she doesn't want to do it. I thought buying those "Feel-n-Learn" pull ups might help her not want to be wet. But that hasn't worked. I guess the bottom line question is how do I know when "she" is ready? What worked for others? Your input or suggestions are very much appreciated.
I don't want to push the issue with her if she is not ready and make it worse. I can be very patient with her when it comes to this so waiting is OK, but I just thought I would try to start working on it. Or do I just wait for her to let me know when she is ready??? Can you tell I am a first time Mom??? He-he

Old 06-01-2007, 06:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User
Re: Potty Training Questions

I cannot remember all the signs of a child being ready, but I do know that partially dressing themselves, showing a true interest in the potty (watches you go, etc), staying dry for 2 hours or more at a time...these are readiness signs. I was all ready (whether she was or not) to PT my DD at 2 also. I put her on the pot and left her there while watching Blues Clues....sure enough she went...but she had no clue she had done it, or cared. I should have know then that this was going to be a long process. Had I just waited until she was 3, I would have had her trained over night. Instead, I fought this on and off for a year!! DON'T do this! It is very stressful on you and her. I would look up online "readiness signs of PT" and see what it says...I know that the above 3 are included. I don't think they have to show ALL of the signs, but the most important one is showing true interest. The way I ended up training her was to let her see me go. She then really showed more of an interest. She is now 3 years and 4 months and she still is having holding issues of her BM's. Good luck. Another thought...you could let her pick out her own "potty" and this may help a little too. Stickers and other rewards are nice too, when she is ready. I hope this helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

Thanks - that information helps. I will check information otherwise via the Internet etc....but it's always good to get helpful hints from other parents and I appreciate yours. I do let her see me go and I always tell her what I did when I went....hoping she will want to do that also. Some times she pretends she is going (sit on her little potty with the lid down etc....) but I don't want to fight with her either and discourage her. If teething wasn't the only frustrating issue for a child/toddler.....right? Once teething and potty training are over (both long drawn out issues) this Mommy thing could be a breeze.....right? He-he!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

It is funny you say that, b/c my mom told me that the 2 hardest issues of motherhood were teething and PT. Let me just say, that I would take teething ANY day over PT!! Just b/c you can give them tylenol or something and help them...PT is something that they have to do!! I also wanted to let you know that her sitting on the potty with the lid down and her clothing on is a VERY good sign!! Good luck!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I didn't activly start trying with my son until he was 3 years old. He really wasn't ready until then. At that point he was telling me that he was wet and taking off his pants to get out of it. I didn't really waste time with the charts or rewards b/c they didn't work for him. We did promise to go out to Friendly's to eat once he went a whole day with dry pants. We started off by going out and picking out underpants together. He knew that he didn't want to pee or poop on his new Diego underpants. We had a few accidents, but now he is doing great!

Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

My little guy will be 2 a day before your's, I think, so they are pretty much the same age. Anyway, we let him watch us go potty, cause he seems really interested in this. But other than that, we haven't done anything else with it. We waited until our daughter was 3 before we did it consistently with her, and it worked really well. She was able to understand a lot better. We got her a potty chair when she was 2, and she would go on it, but never really understood anything about actually doing it. But when she got older, rewards worked pretty good with her since she knew what they meant. So my advice would be to keep letting her watch you use the potty, and letting her know that it was good to sit on her potty, even when she was dressed. It shows an interest. And that might be the only thing that interests her about it right now, but it's a start. So I would wait for more cues from her, and go from there.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
(female)

KissAmeGal HB User

wow! i know exactly what you are going through. My DD is 4. she just started doing #2 in the potty about a week and a half ago. she's always went #1 for awhile now. but i had a heck of a time getting her to do #2. It was FINALLY that SHE decided she wanted to do it. she is sooooo proud of herself and claps when she does it.

Good luck! i think, when they are ready, they do it. i found that out from personal experience.

I have 2 older boys, and i never had this problem with them.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

With my first child I was bound and determined he was going to get trained while I was on Christmas break. He was 2 1/2 at the time. By the third day I called the ped's office in tears. He called me back that afternoon and his response to me was: "Relax, he won't go to kindergarten in diapers". He then kind of chucked and I told him I got the idea. I let it go and one day that following June, when he was three years, one month, he woke my up telling me he had to go potty. He was literally trained that day. So we approached it the same way with our second, who was three years, two months the evening he told me before his bath that he had to go potty. That was it for him too. With the third we obviously did the same thing. She was two years, ten months. I say just take him with you from time to time, talk it up once in awhile and let it go. He will let you know when he is ready and that may be in a month or two, or may not be until a year from now. There is no hurry. Believe me, when he is ten no one is going to give a hoot about how old your child was when he became potty trained.

Nancy

Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I'm going through the potty training stages right now with my 3 year old, and I just had to say something about what bioadoptmom said:

The part about "when their 10 no one's going to give a hoot about how old your child was when they were potty trained"...that's a good way to look at it. And it's so true. I just never thought about it that way before. Everyone always cares when they are in the potty training stage, but after they learn to go, it's not really a big deal ever again. I think that's something I am going to have to remind myself of while going through training with my kids!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 AM   #10
(female)

nicky2005 HB User

Did you make them wear diapers or pullups? When did you shift to pull ups? Do they help in potty training?

DS is 32 mths and i did try to train him but after a few days he started giving me a hard time and throwing tantrums when i tried to take him pee pee and also he would not finish his pee pee. He would do little and say he is done and then after a few mins he would wet himself so i decided to give him a break. If i tell him to go pee pee in the toilet before bath or before i make him wear a swim diaper he will go and do it on his own but does not want to do it consistently. Any suggestions would be a big help. Thanks a lot!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

To Nicky, I would still just let it go. Tell your little one she is going to have to wear diapers for awhile because you cannot do all that laundry all of the time and she should let you know when she is ready to wear big girl pants and go potty. Leave it at that. Believe me, she will eventually be ready, but you have to put the ball in her court and leave it there. Many children are not yet trained at 32 months.

Nancy

Closed Thread