It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

Polobear HB User
Post Toddler Fracture Recovery - Help!

Hi

My litle boy recently suffered a toddler fracture by jumping in a ball pool at nursery. He has been in a below knee cast for 2 weeks, and had it removed this week.
Since then he has still been limping and now walks with hsi foot turned outwards. He can stand on the leg, but walks and runs with it turned outwards. It's been 5 days since the cast was removed.

Can anyone tell me whether this is a normal occurance, and how long I can expect him to be like this? I'm worried, and considering contacting my GP next week. Any help or advice would be most welcomed. I'm not sure what I should be doing. Help?

Last edited by Polobear; 06-23-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: removal of names

Old 06-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
Re: Post Toddler Fracture Recovery - Help!

If you are at all concerned I would head back to his dr. asap. Better safe then sorry with growing bones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

My youngest fractured her leg when she was 2 1/2 and had a cast from her hip to her thigh!! After 4 weeks her doctor decided to leave it on for another 2 weeks b/c she was so active with it! That cast didn't slow her down a bit. She did walk a little funny after it was removed and if I remember, it was about 2-3 weeks before her leg/foot worked normally. Keep an eye on it. If it doesn't move inward in another week, check with your doctor again as PPiglet suggested.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
(female)

snbwcb HB User

Hi,

I just joined this group and your post reminded me of our broken bone experience.

My son had a toddler fracture (spiral fracture of the tibia) when he was 2.5.
It took MONTHS for him to walk correctly. He walked with his foot turned out just as you said. He had physical therapy for it for a few months, but I think mainly time was what helped it to self correct. This is very common so you know. Just be patient. I was so worried he'd never walk normally again, but he is 4 now and very athletic and walks correctly.

Closed Thread