It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
(female)

tsmith63020 HB User
Really worried about my kids- HELP!

Here's hoping I'm just a paranoid Mom...But would love some ideas and advice.

Ok...Quick background. a few weeks (about 2 1/2) ago my son and daughter (Emily age 4, Caleb age 5) spiked fevers and were coughing bad...A trip to the ER found Caleb with a small walking pneumonia, and Emily had nothing on the XRay although seemed sicker.

Emily was given a weeks worth of Amoxicillin and Orapred. Caleb was given a weeks worth of Amoxicillin with NO Orapred (although he was the one with the bad xray- go figure)
The next day, my youngest son Luke comes down with a similar sickness. He is given two weeks of Amoxicillin, and seemed better.
Anyway, Caleb and Emily have both been off of antibiotics for ONE week, and Luke finished his dose Friday.

So...A few days ago (Thursday night) Caleb comes down with a fever and coughing again, we take him to the Ped. on Friday, who gives him a week of Zithromax, says it's a sinus infection and Bronchitis. Ped. said fever should be gone by Monday. (Of course being tomorrow)
So...Today, the baby (Luke) spikes a fever, and so does Emily.

What in the world could cause this? How could they get sick while on antibiotics...I'm calling the Ped. in the morning, I am just really nervous.
I realize I am probably paranoid, and have written quite a rambling message, but humor me. I'm really worried. I don't know why they'd get so sick back to back like this.
The symptoms are fever (Calebs now lasting over the magic 3 days, not to mention them all being sick two weeks ago) coughing and runny nose.

Help. I'm worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Really worried about my kids- HELP!

This must be worrying for you. The fact is that when you are sick with a virus or any infection, the body's resistance is concentrated fighting off that germ, with the antibiotics acting on the original illness, but the body can be left in a less resistant state. That is when another virus can cause another illness. I hope they are better soon.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

Wow,

It sounds like you guys have had a rough couple of weeks. I can't explain what is making your kids sick. This type of things has happened to my sona couple of times and we have just had to try a couple of antibiotics and wait it out. In the end really, I don't know whether he had a bacterial infection or if it was a virus. I son't even know if anything I did cured hiim or if his body just cured itself.

I would say just keep in contact with your doctor, keep fluids in them, and stay on top of the fevers with Tylenol and ibuprofen. I sued to feel bad about calling my doctor all the time until we hit one of these "mystery illness" phases. I asked her flat out how often I could call. Maybe she was just being nice but she said that with things like this, we needed to work together to try to help him get better so we talked every day - she often called me.

Hang in there. Let us know how it is going.

-Jen

Old 06-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

First.. walking pneumonia can be two varieties most commonly it is viral and passed in the air as spores are released during coughing. It can linger for months if the children do not rest and get propermedication. Often the walking pneumonia will cause nasty secondary infections that are bacterial in nature: sinus, ear, and bronchial infections.

It took a month solid on anti-biotics every time I caught walking pneumonia and the same for my in laws and family. Your MD should have prescribed not only and anti-biotics but also a decongestant/expectorant combination like crantex to ease congestion and stimulate getting the mess out. Crantex is generic psuedophedrin and guanifex.. penicillians and cepholosporins are best for getting out respiratory ills. But after having amox for a week and allowing a time lapse the infection may be resistant to the cillans and now need a second stringer. If your son has any lingering effects but appears to be improving get a refill from your MD and do not let the medication lapse in between.

I can sympathize with you, and only wish you the best.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I know how much you can worry when your kids are sick. You aren't being paranoid at all. Your a mom! My 2 year old just got over being sick, and it hit him so quick that we weren't sure what was going on. I agree about keeping in contact with the dr and taking it one day at a time. It may be that it is a virus that really is going to take some time to get out of everyone's systems. Sometimes you can get another bug on top of one already. So that may be the case here. But just keep checking those temps and hopefully time will be the cure for this. Hang in there!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
(female)

1stimer662 HB User

I just wanted to add-- I'm sure you do this already but since there are runny noses and viruses involved, lots of nose wiping and hand washing/sanitizing(enough to make you crazy) is very necessary. This and the fluids are very important to remember.....good luck at the doc's!

Closed Thread