It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
blistered mosquito bites????

my daughter has three fairly large whelps on her that i think are mosquito bites, but i'm not certain. one is on her heel, and is a large lighter spot, about the size of a quarter, with the surrounding skin being red and slightly swollen. there is a small blister right in the middle, and the skin looks slightly blistered around that. she has another whelp on her calf (other leg), which looks close to the one on her heel, only the lighter spot isn't quite as big, and looks more blistered than the one on her heel. she also has one on her hip, that is even smaller, and i haven't noticed a blister yet.

my question is, could this be an allergic reaction to a mosquito bite, or could a spider have gotten her? (the blister doesn't look like it has the characteristics of what i've read about spider bites - and can i just say EEEEWWWW????!!!!!)

has anyone else had blisters with mosquito bites???

we put ice on her bites, and applied baking soda pastes, and gave her benadryl, and circled each area with a marker to see if it grows..... is there anything else we can do for her until we can get her to a doctor?

Last edited by mcr285; 07-05-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:42 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: blistered mosquito bites????

You are doing fine, there isn't much else to do til you can get some antihistamine cream or something like that. It does sound like insect bites, your little girl is probably sensitive to them. My granddaughter is the same, they always react like this. If she gets even a little bit ill or distressed, take her off to the ER, in case of a more severe reaction. Better safe......Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
(female)

mitpatsmom HB User

My son has the same reaction to ant bites.

I just want to add a word of caution. When using Benedryl, don't use more than one product. An overdose can occur if using the oral and topical medications together.

A friend (an adult, I may add) had this happen when she used the gel and took Children's Benedryl by mouth for several days to help an allergic reaction. Her blood pressure dropped and she started passing out and ended up in the hospital.

Definately watch that the bumps don't get larger or spread. You may also want to watch for impetigo if she is scratching them.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

It could also be that your daughter was itching the bite so much that it blistered on the top of it. My daughter was doing this with one she had on her face from the weekend. We got an antihistamine spray for it and put a bandage over it to stop the itching and prevent her from getting to it. It is just now starting to look better.

Keep an eye on her and don't hesitate to get her medical treatment if you are concerned.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

angela5271 HB Userangela5271 HB User

It does sound like a mosquito bite, although the size can be worrisome. My daughter has toxic (allergic) reactions to the bites as well. At times her bites will end up 4 or more inches in diameter with a blister in the middle.

Instead of oral Benadryl we use the topical cream. It works much faster to relieve the itching as it does not have to go through her system first. For my daughter the baking soda paste only provides minimal relief.

Keep an eye on your daughters bites to ensure they do not become infected from scratching. Secondary infections are no fun, and antibiotics would be needed for that. Of course take her to her ped. if they become larger or for your peace of mind.

Take care.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

thanks for all the responses! she doesn't seem as swollen this morning, but the redness has spread a bit. trying to make an appointment with her new doctor, but it seems the insurance screwed something up and we might not be able to get in today (it's ALWAYS something!!!). anyway, i feel a lot better knowing other kids have this kind of reaction too!!! i've heard that if an anaphylactic reaction happened, it would happen within an hour of getting bit? is this true, or do i still have to worry about it (it's been at least 24 hours now)? i did know about the double dosing with benadryl cream and liquid, but thanks for the reminder! i ALMOST did that to her yesterday, but thankfully my brain kicked in and i put a different ointment on her (called melagel - has melaleuca oil in it - works fast for itching!).

Old 07-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes, I am allergic to sketters and wasps and yellow jackets. i don't mess witht he things I call in the husband and flee the seen. We have not seen if my son can look forward tot hat allergy or not as of yet. It always seems to be something.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread