It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
(female)

angayla HB User
blood in stool

Can blood in th stool look like red mucus? Or also like red flakes throughout the stool? My son had stools like these yesterday. Friday he had major diarreah, but was not sick, he didi not poop on sat. and these were his stools yesterday. Also very gassy and was up twice last might with stomach pain, and his room was gassy stinky in the night. He had white grape juice fri. morning, which has been safe in the past. i will try it again in a week or so to see if thats the culprit - I really don't wat a new allergy though!!! Ant way, is ths how blood presents itself in the stool?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

yellowrose5006 HB User
Re: blood in stool

It is really hard to say what might be going on...first off what did your son have to eat? Sweet red peppers can come through looking like flakes. Also, what did he have to drink...sports drinks, could the dye in that be affecting his stools? Have you had him checked for a milk allergy, that could cause the mucous. In my (very limited) experience blood usually looks like blood. If it happens again you might want (need ) to collect a sample for doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

I would think of what he ate that has dyes in them too. I remember when my daughter ate red jello once and it looked like blood. I know the purple dyes can do that too.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
(female)

salamandertom HB User

I have had some experience with blood in the stool with my son and it is either black and the stool is tarlike or it is red and just mixed in with the stool. It looks like blood in the stool, really no mistaking it. HTH

Old 07-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
(female)

state808 HB User

Aloha,

I have a history of ulcerative Colitis.

These are the signs to look for.

1) Mucous covering bowel movement. ( white webbing)
2) Blood in bowel movement. ( mixed in) ( or just on top)
3) Lots of cramping and pain
4) The need to always go to the bathroom
5) Diahreha
6) Severe pain in lower abdominal area
7) Lots of gas ( odd smell to it)
8) A change in size of bowel movement ( skinny bowels)

Also know that if the blood is bright red, its coming from your lower colon.
If it is darker blood it's coming from either your small intestines or higher up in the colon.

Always get this checked out from your doctor right away. Blood in the stool is something to be serious about. Never put it off.

There are meds for this to heal it ..when you catch it in time.

The triggers for Ulcerative Colitis is stress. And spicy food. Acid fruits like apple, lime, lemon, pineapple, all those kinds of fruits I stay away from. Or the problem could be just hereditary. Oh and stay away from popcorn!!!!

ALoha
state808

Closed Thread