It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

mommieoftwo HB User
3 year old w/ swollen lymph nodes

I'm really scared (my nature) because I had my son's blood tested last week because he's had swollen lymph nodes now for quite some time. The test results showed his white blood count was a little low. They said his was 3.7 and normal was 4.2. So - we are having it re-tested this week. Doctor presumed the swollen nodes were due to drainage as he fights allergies. But we have him on Singulair and Zyrtec and that seems to now be under control. He did not have a virus (to my knowledge) at the time the blood was tested. Since he was an infant - any time he had a cold, runny nose, sinus infection, etc. the node in his neck would get really big. Right now they aren't huge, but they are definitely there and not going away. What could this be. I'm really scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: 3 year old w/ swollen lymph nodes

Hey Mommie-
I know you are scared. It's normal. All of us moms can totally relate to your concerns. I'm really sorry you are having to deal with this.

I can only tell you that my son went through the same sort of things. As an infant, he seemed to catch every cold and or virus that came near him. He always had ear infections, and eventually ended up also having his tonsils taken out. He has been prone to allergies since infancy, and it's been a constant battle. Even when he wasn't sick, his tonsils almost touched!!

Anyway, he developed swollen lymph nodes in his neck...it was towards the right side and kind of at the base of his necl & upper shoulder. One in particular grew pretty big. The ENT doctor told me that kids who are allergy proned can get this, since their immune system is working harder than most kids to keep them healthy. He assured me that as long as the lymph nodes were not hard and were able to be moved around under the skin and not "stuck down" in one place, it isn't bad and that eventually, as he grew older, they would eventually go away as we were able to get & keep his allergy symptoms under control.

He is now 13 years old, and as long as we treat allergy symptoms before they get too far along, things go pretty well. He takes Claritin & Flonase during certain times of the year. We've had to learn the signs of when his allergies are coming on. He gets a bit dark under his eyes, and then starts the sniffling & clearing his throat- we start treating the symptoms and usually it goes away.

I do wish you the very best. Sometimes, when you do have an allergy proned child, it's not uncommon to have a lower white blood cell count. Please keep us posted. Take care!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My whole family lives with swollen lymph nodes. Even my 4.5 year old. We do the zyrtec, nasonex, singular, decongestant routine on a daily basis. The anti-histamines will help with reducing the anti-histamine production but not stop it completely or prevent your body from reacting to it. Your son is old enough to take to an allergist. He is still a bit young to have reliable scratch testing done, but getting your son to an allergy/immunologist now will make him more comfortable when he has to have that wonderful testing session.

There are many reasons why lymph nodes swell and I wouldn't stress over it too much. Give it time and best wishes. You are doing all you can and your son will pick up on your worries. They pick up on everything at that age. Mine told me just this morning he will do everything his favorite adults do.. then he began to list my husband's bad habits. Leg shaking while he is working at the desk, chewing his nails and fingers, etc. ::sigh:: I am mentally checking every move I make and word I say now. I do not want him to pick up my bad habits.. although he talks to himself in immitation of me already.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 07-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
(female)

mommieoftwo HB User

Thanks - I believe it's allergy related. We did blood work again today and the white blooc cell count was normal. So - the doc isn't worried about it. I'm very relieve. I'm currently 7 months pregnant and the last thing I need is something else to worry about Thanks for your responses.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Glad to hear the good news! I know this is a weight off your shoulders.

You try and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!!

Closed Thread