It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
(female)

BabyDsmom HB User
Question Need help or suggestions as to whats wrong with my son

My son is 2 years old.He has seisuresdevlopmental delays and acid reflux.For the past couple of months in the middle of the night and sometimes while he is at school he will just start screaming bloody murder, as he is drawing up his legs,
kicking them back and forth and slaping his arms and hands like he has built up gas or constipated.I have given him gas drops,a laxitive{sometimes his stools
are to hard for him to get out,so I have to give him a laxitive everynow and then to help him get the stool out.}I have taken him to the doctor mulitple time and they just keep saying that he either has a bunch of built up gas,he constipated or he is teething.You dont draw your legs up when you are teething.I have explained to the doctors what he does when he starts this blood curdling scream\cry and the just keep saying its gas or constipation.I dont know what else to do.I have to be called home early from work cause my husband cant figure anything else out to do,and sometimes he does this blood curdling scream
or cry for hours at a time and then I guess he wears himself out screaming so
much that he just cries himself to sleep.I dont know what else to tell the doctor or anything to suggest or other tests that can be done.There is something serious going on but the doctors dont seem to want to help or take my suggestions or do any test.My son has had a lot of medical problems and other related problems since he was born.Everytime I take him to the doctor for something or suggest that maybe this certain thing may be wrong or going on with him,they always tell me ' Oh he doesnt have any of the signs or he doesnt have some of the signs.I dont care wheather he has the signs or not,I think I know my kid better than you do.You dont always have to have some or all of the signs of something to have it or for something to be wrong.I know its something in his stomach or bowels or his intestines.But the doctors dont seem like they want to do anything,they just diagnos him with something
minor and give him medicine and send us on our way.I need some help or suggestions.Due to his extremelly bad reflux he is on 3 different reflux medicines..... Zantac,Relgan,and Prevacid,and last week his doctor said to go down to giving him all 3 of his reflux meds once a day.He was getting them 2xs a day,but now only 1 x a day.Thats the only other thing i can think of is he needs to be back to taking his reflux meds twice a day instead of onece a day.I need some help or suggestions.Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Fillin HB User
Re: Need help or suggestions as to whats wrong with my son

BabyDsMom,
Frequently kids who have spasticity also have slow motility in their bowels and you are right, constipations is a HUGE issue! Have the doctors done any xrays or ultrasounds to see if he is backed up? Does your son do any weight bearing throughout the day? This will often help the bowels to mover more regularly. Also now that Miralax is available over the counter, you might try that.

Poor baby, I really feel for him and you!

Lisa

Old 08-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I would try Miralax also. It is sold over the counter at Target, walmart and at Costco(best price). I take it because of the pain meds I take are so consitpating. Tha being said....

Personally if this were my child and this were the response I was getting from the pediatrician, I would be shopping for another doctor now. You pay this man to treat your child, to help him and to take care of your child....not to say " oh well". If your gut is telling you something is wrong with your baby, then some thing is wrong. Ask your neighbors, friends, co-works who they use for a doctor. Find someone else. I personally would be changing doctors. If you don't want to change docs, ask for a referral to a pediatric gastro. doc., but get your little one seen by someone who specializes in intestinal problems of children.

You said that your child already has issues. Don't add to them. Call the local hospital and ask who their pediatrical gastroenterologist is. It sounds like your little one needs to see a specilist.

Good luck...

Old 08-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
(female)

Andrea84 HB User

It's time for another opinion. I would take him to a pediatric gastroenterologist. For his other problems if you could get him to a center where they have experience treating developmentally delayed children it might be helpful. Sometimes you have to switch doctors before you find the right one. I have an adult child with special needs so have been through this.

Closed Thread