It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jackstersmom HB User
Trying to get 2-year old to stay in bed!!!

I need some advice... My son is 2 (27 months) and has been sleeping in a big bed for over 2 1/2 months. He used to go to bed so good and would stay put when I laid him down. Now for the last week, he's been getting up constantly and I have to keep putting him back in bed. I've tried the Supernanny technique and it worked 2 nights, but the last 2 nights it hasn't worked. He wants to be with me watching TV, or in our bed. He doesn't cry or anything, he just keeps getting up and doesn't go to sleep. I tried closing his door, but now he knows how to open it and he also can take off those safety things that you put on a door knob. Last night, I put a gate up across his room so he couldn't get out and he finally went to sleep. I then took the gate down after he was asleep in case he got up during the night, which he occasionally does and comes to our bed. It's not like I put him to bed early - it's usually around 8:45-9:00. Please let me know if you have advice. Thanks!

Cristy

Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
Re: Trying to get 2-year old to stay in bed!!!

you know, it sounds crazy, but you might actually try putting him to bed an hour earlier. sometimes kids get overtired and then just can't get themselves settled down. we always joke that after my three year old starts to get sleepy, there is a very small window of opportunity when we can get her to go to bed before she slips into hyperactive mode! after that point, it can take her a couple of hours to settle down! so we started putting her to bed an hour earlier and it really helps!

another thing, we also use a baby gate, and we keep a monitor in her room still and just taught her to "call us on the monitor" if she needs us... that way we can keep the gate in her door at night. it works really well, because then she doesn't go wandering the house at night (it's always been a huge fear of mine!), and we all sleep better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jackstersmom HB User

Thanks for the advice. I might just try putting him to bed earlier, but it is still light out here until 9:00, so it might be hard for that reason. I do still have the baby monitor in his room so I can hear him at night.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

We also used the baby gate, but we left it attached all night. I wouldn't want them wandering around the house while I'm sleeping. You said you took it down in case he needs you. With the monitor in there, you'll know if he needs you.

We did the baby gate, not only for safety, but also because it told our children that once they were in bed, that was it. There is no getting up out of bed until morning. Our oldest two are now 7 and 5 and for years they have gone to bed without any stalling, hesitation, etc. When they are in bed, that's it. Occasionally they will get back up to go potty, but they do what they need to do and go right back to bed. They never walk out to us, ask for a drink, ask what we're doing, etc. They never have because we never allowed it. Of course, we haven't used the gate for years either, but I think it taught them a lot when they were younger.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstersmom View Post
Thanks for the advice. I might just try putting him to bed earlier, but it is still light out here until 9:00, so it might be hard for that reason. I do still have the baby monitor in his room so I can hear him at night.
we went to a fabric store (maybe joann's or hobby lobby, can't remember) and bought some room darkening curtain fabric and just sewed it to fit my daughter's window (i have to admit this, my HUSBAND actually sewed it!), and it makes such a difference! because of the type of curtain rod we have in her room, it hangs about an inch and a half out from her window so we got some of those cheap springy curtain rods (2 of them) and put them in the window (one towards the top, and one towards the bottom) in front of the liner to push the liner back towards the window to block out more light. i have no idea if that made any sense or not, but hopefully you get the idea... the liner is great because it blocks some of the light, and it also saves on our electric bill!

another thing we do is close the blinds in the house about an hour before bedtime so our kids don't see outside and notice it's not nighttime yet. and we point to the clock in the kids' bedroom and have been trying to teach them that it's 8:00 and that means bedtime.

anyway... i wouldn't give up on the supernanny technique, or the gate, it really does work! he'll keep testing you on it, but if you are consistant, he'll get the idea!

Last edited by mcr285; 08-04-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
(female)

lekstroh HB User

My two older kids 6 and 3 would always get out of bed up and down for 2 hrs at night. We would put them back to bed, and another minute they'd be back. We now tell the kids a bed time story about how at night their are these little beautiful fairy's that come to bring little boys and girls a little treat, and they leave in under their pillow. And these fairys come at a certin time and they can't come if the kids are awake, they can only come if they are sleeping. And if they stayed in bed good then we will leave a jelly bean, or chocolate egg, or even a tatoo, or sticker under their pillow. They LOVE waking up and checking under their pillow for their treat. But the important thing is if they are coming out lots one night, don't leave a treat, and tell them "sorry, I guess the fairy's saw that you were still awake and couldn't come, lets try again tonight"

It has worked wonders for us!! Still once and a while they fool around, and the fairy's don't come. but for the most part its great!

Good luck!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
(female)

Michelle1977 HB User

OH WOW!!!

That is the BEST idea i have ever heard of...Im definitely doing this. I hope my daughter can understand about the fairys. She may be too young.

My daughter hated her crib around the time she turned 1!

So i made the mistake of having her sleep with us (she was really really sick) and i mainly had her with us for my piece of mind.
When she got to feeling better I bought her a toddler bed..Elmo (she loves her elmo) a who bedroom set...she loved it. She slept all by herself for about 2 whole months and then i dont know what went wrong. She screams when she sees her bed.

I see people talking about Supernanny...what was her idea?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
(female)

lekstroh HB User

Actually I came up with this, you sometimes need to be creative.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jackstersmom HB User

Michelle: Supernanny says to put your child to bed and the first time they come out, you say "It's night-night time darling (or whatever you call them)" and put them right back to bed. The second time, you say "night-night" and put them back in bed. The third time (and each time after that), you say nothing and just put them back in bed. It has worked a couple times for me and my son didn't leave his bed after the time that I said nothing to him.

When I put him to bed lately, he will say "no gate", so I tell him that if he stays in bed I won't put the gate up on his door, but if he comes out then we're going to put the gate up. This has worked the best for us and he even stays in his bed some nights. If he comes out, then I put him back to bed with the gate across his door and he cries for a minute and goes to sleep.

Cristy

Closed Thread