It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Unhappy HELP Reaction to the MMR Vaccination!!

I am wondering if anyone Else's child had a reaction to the MMR Vaccination?
My 2 1/2 Year Old went for some shots last Thursday, which included the MMR Vaccination, Hepatitis A, HIB type B, And DTP vaccination. There was a total of 4 needles, I was told she had 6 in 4. I thought this was a bit much all at once but was told that it was fine. The next two days things seemed to be going well. Just a little cranky but there are some molars coming in that I attributed this too. One the 4th day things had taken a different turn. A fever developed that ran in the 103~104 range. I was able to get the fever down switching between Motrin and Tylenol and some cool wash clothes. Then the vomiting started and complaints of tummy aches and diarrhea, and sore throat. One the 6th day after shots a rash developed and we are still running fevers on and off. Mostly throughout the day we are at 101 but there are times it spikes high mostly 103 range. It all seems to be coming in waves, she can be totally fine, playing, eating, drinking and then she starts complaining and the fever spikes, the rash gets redder and she will throw up. Then after a few hours and the fever goes down she is back to playing and wanting cookies! She is NOT throwing up everyday only two days and they were days apart~ Monday and then again Today (Friday) But the rash has been constant for 3 days. Red and bumpy and all over her face and body. I looked up picture's of the measles rash and it looks just like it!! Her desire to eat or drink comes and goes, and her fever comes and goes. But is usually stuck in the low grade range. This has been going on since Monday and as mentioned before today is Friday and we still have these symptoms. 3 days after shots!!
I called the Doctor and insisted this is some type of reaction to the shots. The Dr. seems to think it's just a virus. I disagree. If it was a virus would she be fine eating ice cream and playing one day and then the next day not and violently sick then better then sick again? Fever and then not? Throw up one day and not for two and then again on day three? If it was a virus why is she covered from head to toe in a rash? Why haven't me or my husband gotten it?
I guess my BIG question is I am wondering if there is anyone Else's child that has had a reaction like this to the MMR shot?? The more I read about this vaccination the more I am convinced she is experiencing some sort of reaction.
I am just wondering what is next? Does it just run it's course or is there something the Dr.'s can give her? I feel so bad she is so sick but it's really strange because it comes and goes. And it peaks. If that makes sense?
I am calling tomorrow again and insisting a visit. I have called twice and was told, unlikely reaction.. More likely virus, keep her fluids up and it will run it's course !!!! This makes me so mad because my child was totally healthy and fine until she got these shots!!!!!!
I would greatly appreciate any advice, feed back, or experience with perhaps their child and this vaccination. And whether this sounds familiar to anyone.
I am really starting to become extremely concerned! Thank You for any thoughts and advice in advance..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2007, 02:22 AM   #2
(female)

Jakeysmom HB User
Re: HELP Reaction to the MMR Vaccination!!

I would go for a 2nd opinion right away and have this rash looked at. How can your doc say it is just a virus since he has not seen her or the rash? It could be a coincidental virus, but it sounds like a reaction to me. IMHO, in the future you should consider having only 1 vaccine given at a time so that you know exactly which one she is reacting to. You don't have to have them all on one day- your doc will give you a hard time, but it it your right to make your own schedule if you wish. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

both my daughters had fever and a rash exactly one week after getting those shots... but nothing like you have described. i wouldn't rule it out completely, but from my own experience, it really sounds more viral what your daughter has.... or a combination...

before you convince yourself that your daughter has the measles, keep in mind that heat rashes can be caused by high temperatures and look an awful lot like measles too! do the rest of her symptoms match with measles? if not, i'd lean more towards virus and viral rash.

as far as your daughter being perfectly healthy and then getting sick four days after shots.... i'm going to take a wild guess and say she probably got her shots from the doctor's office, which is crawling with germs from all the sick people who hang out there, and that would be where she could've picked up a virus from.

the rest of the symptoms you mentioned, happy and playing one day and sick the next, eating one day, throwing up the next, all coming in waves.... except for the rash, it sounds exactly like what my own toddler is going through (last night her fever spiked to 105.1), and she hasn't had any shots since february... but she IS cutting her back molars! she's been sick with these symptoms since last sunday! we saw her doctor yesterday and he said he's never seen a fever get that high with teething (at the time her highest temp had been 103.9), but that it wasn't impossible. but that he was leaning towards her most likely having a virus. most viruses last 7-10 days, but some have been known to last up to three weeks!

you also mentioned that if it was viral, then why don't you or your husband have the virus? well.... you still could get it, but most likely you won't, either way, you don't have it now because your immune systems are way more developed than your daughters.

one thing i am learning with this latest bout of illness, is not to freak out about the number on the thermometer. if it isn't bothering her, let it go. when it bothers her, give her something to bring it down. i did notice that when my daughter's temp was in the 103-104 range last night and this morning, she was happy and playing. after it got up in the 104-105 range, she started acting irritable and cranky. so weird....

either way, whether it's a virus, or a reaction to the shots, there's really nothing you can do but keep her hydrated, and treat the symptoms that need treating (if the rash is itchy give her some benadryl, if her fever is making her uncomfortable, give her tylenol...etc...). getting her to drink lots of fluids is the most important thing when her fever is high, so that she isn't getting dehydrated.

anyway, hope this helps ease your mind.

Last edited by mcr285; 08-04-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Thank You both for your encouraging words! It did help ease my mind some.
Today she woke up with no fever and eating and drinking everything in sight. So far no tummy ache but the rash is still there. Not as red but more of a pinkish bumps. I spoke with the Dr. and he feels she may have strep throat He said that her symptoms are very common to strep and no sore throat is not unheard of. He claims that strep throat is going around and has seen 10 kids today alone with it. So he feels she may have picked it up at the office on her well visit. She is going to see him first thing in the morning tomorrow to have a throat culture done.
I was thinking the molars coming in could be contributing to the fevers as well. I guess my husband and I will know more tomorrow. As for now I am glad she is eating and drinking and the fever stayed away so far today. I hate when our little angels are sick and not acting themselves. I will keep this updated and let you know the results. Whether it was strep related or shots. Thank You all again.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerlover227 View Post
Thank You both for your encouraging words! It did help ease my mind some.
Today she woke up with no fever and eating and drinking everything in sight. So far no tummy ache but the rash is still there. Not as red but more of a pinkish bumps. I spoke with the Dr. and he feels she may have strep throat He said that her symptoms are very common to strep and no sore throat is not unheard of. He claims that strep throat is going around and has seen 10 kids today alone with it. So he feels she may have picked it up at the office on her well visit. She is going to see him first thing in the morning tomorrow to have a throat culture done. l:
actually, now that you mention it, just this past spring my oldest daughter came down with a fever, a weird rash and no sore throat, and it was only because the doctor had seen so many cases of strep that she ordered a culture done. turns out, she had strep!

SOOO, could be that she picked up strep, and with her body adjusting to her shots, and with her cutting her back molars it all just made her symptoms that much worse?

a word of caution on the eating everything in sight (which my toddler is also doing when her fever has gone down).... just be aware that what goes in, still has a good chance of coming back out, so you might keep her on a restricted diet of mild foods for another couple of days, and especially no dairy (our doc said until 48 hours after the last bout of diarrhea).

anyway, glad your doctor is finally listening to you, and that your daughter is having a better day today!

Last edited by mcr285; 08-04-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi mcr285,
At first I thought the strep theory was far fetched. But after thinking about it, it could be a possibility being that she was in the office last week where there were sick children. She still had diarrhea today. So I am limiting her dairy. She begged me for a milk bottle so I added lots of water and hardly any milk. There are so many things that could be going on at once as you mentioned, the teething, the shots, and now possible strep! I am glad as well that this Dr. I spoke with today ( there are several in the practice) all with different opinions. Felt a culture wasn't something we should pass on.
I am actually thinking after all this is over switching to a practice that only has maybe one or two Doctors. I hate the fact that every time you call or go there you see a different Dr. with a different opinion. I only stayed with this practice because they are very well known. So I will keep you posted! Thank you for all your thoughts and experiences as well. I hope your angel is feeling a little better today as well!

Old 08-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

i completely understand what you are saying about seeing all the different doctors! it's so hard because they don't know you personally and by the time you finish just relating a brief history of your child and are ready to get to the symptoms of the day, the doctor is ready to move on to the next patient and doesn't really listen to what you are saying! we just switched to a single doctor and it's so much better!!!

my little one is feeling a lot better today. her temp is still in the 103-104 range but she is just having a fantastic time running around the house and driving me crazy! i know it's awful, but there have been times when i've thought, why can't you go back to being quiet and cuddly and sweet like when you were sick??? actually, it's funny, but my three year old becomes extra well mannered and polite when she is sick. she will thank me a hundred times for getting her some juice or for covering her with a blanket, and she actually will ASK if she can go to bed.... not that i really prefer them to be sick or anything.... but if they could be that way without the added illness....

anyway, i'm dreaming again... glad things are looking up for you and your daughter! definitely let me know what the doctor says!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi mcr285,
I am sending you a update. I took my daughter today to the Dr. to have her symptoms and rash checked out along with a strep test.
WELL it is a reaction to the MMR vaccination!!! He said no doubt 100% the rash is in fact the measles. As soon as he walked in the room he said wow what a measles rash!! So the last week being told it's viral and will pass was in fact a reaction to the shot. (I guess mom's do know best)
He was amazed and said 1 in every 500 kids may get a reaction. So much for text book. He even asked if he can show the intern Dr. because it is not common to see this rash. He CLAIMED we are passed the worse, the fever broke so now the rash should slowly start to go away. My concern is that she will have this vaccination again before she starts school and wondered if the same reaction will occur, she was very sick. He claims that it is a great possibility. I think at this point he realized that I was a little annoyed that I was brushed off for a week with the answer of NO WAY this is a reaction to the shot. It Rarely EVER HAPPENS. Well it did!
I am Glad we are passed the fever, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and overall being fatigue stage! Hopefully he is right and we reached the peak of it all!
I feel bad for her she has been through a lot the passed week. But it is amazing how well children bounce back!
I know what you were saying thought in your last post, if they can only be that well mannered and cuddly all the time!!
I hope this post will help others perhaps that had this injection and their child may have gotten sick, and they also were told it was just a virus, to think twice be persistent as I was and go with your parental intuition.
All & All I am glad she had the vaccination because if by chance she was to contract the Mumps, Measles or Rubella, I am sure it would have been a hell of a lot worse!! Just seeing a touch of it was enough for me! I hope your angel is doing better today and hopefully the fever has broke.
Thank You again for all your advice and concern. Keep me posted on your daughter.

Last edited by boxerlover227; 08-05-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

yellowrose5006 HB User

Hi there, glad your lo is doing better. I was just catching up on posts and read your story. I have the pediatrician only give 2 shots at a time for similar concerns and the office does well to accommodate us. Though I will tell you think hard about switching practicies. We are in a single doc pratice and we don't get along with the doc either. So now I have to either start all over and try to find another doc or just shut up and nod my head when I talk to him. At least in the larger practice you can 'try out' some of the docs and request to see the one you like. Good luck! (we have our next round of shots at the end of the month and I'll be thining of you)

Old 08-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

All vaccinations are serious. My son had seizures, high fever, and many other symptoms that had us going to the ER the evening after his first set of immunizations. He was severely allergic to the DPaT to the point he is banned from having all but tetanus shots. The DPa portion he was allergic to... just like his me. He also ended up getting his first ear and sinus infection after the fact. It was a horrible two weeks.

When the next immunizations came around we were ready with the motrin tylenol alteration schedule and the works. He didn't have seizures because that stemmed fro the whooping cough vaccine (Pa), but he did have high fevers for 3-5 days and contracted another ear and sinus infection.

After that I made them give him the vaccines one a week versus all at once. He would still get tired and run a fever and get the sinus ear infection, but all the symptoms were milder.

There is no rule that your child has to have all four at once.. getting that done just means that you don't have to come back in again. The one shot a week routine is less traumatic on my son and it allows me to get the anti-biotics he needs by at the second visit.

Best of luck to all of you going through the vaccination dulldrums. As to measels.. I had three different varieties while living in Europe. The MMR only protects you from one major strain. Measels stink worse than chicken pox.

MG

Closed Thread