It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User
Red face 2yr old/sore throat/slight cough/what did you do?!

so my poor little guy has a sore throat and yucky cough, his nose is NOT running. he was seen sat and they said its just his molars, i took him yesterday cuz its getting worse, now they say its just a viral infection, they cant do anything. so this morning, after a bad night of coughing, no sleep and a horrible sounding painful throat, i called afterhours care for him, they STILL wont do nothing, they keep telling me to bring him in, im so sick of going there for 45 minutes and them doing absolutely NOTHING, im calling the office when they open and giving them hell. ive tried reg. tylenol, it did nothing, tylenol cold has not helped, i just warmed some water and stuck a cough and sore throat drop into it to see if he will drink it and if it will help, im almost at a lost, the nurse said the coughin is good, it breaks up the mucas, HE IS NOT MUCASY OR STUFFY/RUNNY NOSE!! this is so aggrivating...any ideas what to do????????????

Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 AM   #2
(female)

hmlyn04 HB User
Re: 2yr old/sore throat/slight cough/what did you do?!

i am so sorry your little guy is feeling so sick. i hate when they are this young and miserable with something.

first i wanted to ask if he has any older siblings. if he does, they could check for strep because even though it's not common for little ones, it can be caught by the older kids. i have a dd that had it when she was 3 because of her older sister. they can do the quick strep in the office.

second, i would get some children's motrin. it is a little stronger than the tylenol (given only every 6 hours instead) and try that to at least try to ease the pain.

and lastly, i love the warm water idea. i was personally thinking of making some warmed camomille tea and letting him sip on that. i know some people may say i am crazy for that but i did that for my 2 year old last year (he was only 1 but had pneaumonia) and i think it did help a bit. i also want to tell you that you should definitely watch him because a sore throat can quickly change. my oldest dd was 2 when she had a sore throat and they kept saying viral but in the end, she actually stopped swallowing and we ended up in the ER. she had a bacterial infection and needed antibiotics. don't let that scare you but just stick to your guns, you know your child best. i hope your sweetie is feeling better soon. : )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User

no older siblings, just younger,yea, my 6 month old woke this morning coughing and a fever, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shoot me!!!!!!!! they told me for the 6 month old to give him pediacare, and im waitin on the doc to call, i told them i have to have a antibiotic for my 2 year old im so tired of this bull crap

Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

hey.... i feel for you! why is it they always get sick on the weekends or after the doctor's office closes???? definitely have him checked for strep! my daughter got it when she was around 15-18 months (can't remember exactly) old! if it's strep, he'll need an antibiotic, but if it is viral, an antibiotic won't do him any good.

another thing to check out is if he has croup. my 21 month old had croup over the summer and she started out with vomiting and diarrhea and a fever, and then went to a slight cough and sore throat. when her cough got bad, we'd bring her into the bathroom and run the shower really hot to steam it up.... it helped calm her cough temporarily, but i think what really helped was the dose of steroids the doctor gave her. they also did an x-ray to make sure there were no other complications from the croup (something like epiglotitis? can't remember what it was called, sorry...). good luck!

Last edited by mcr285; 09-11-2007 at 07:25 AM.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

It is common during molar stage to start with a cold or virus and move into a secondary bacterial infection like sinus, ear, or bronchial.

What sort of temperature is your child running. If the child is running a fever of ~100 for 5-7 days.. has yellow green gunk running down the back of there throat, headache, light sensitivity.. then you are looking at a sinus infection.

Is you child coughing just when lying down or all day? Is the coughing worse when lying down? If the coughing you describe is all day and worse when reclined or attempting to be active I would suspect that you may have a nasty case of bronchitis on your hands. You should definitely take him back now, but maybe you should ask for a referral to an ENT due to your lack of satisfaction.

Your pediatrician should at least be able to prescribe something for the cough and congestion even if he isn't runny nosed and mucus ridden. I would dig in and refuse to budge until they saw reason on the matter. I have two Pediatricians I will now visit... all the others prefer to sit back and wait and see. And my son's ENT is the next step in line. I will settle for no one else they have proven they can not effectively treat my son in a timely fashion. It is hard finding a good pediatrician and I avoid DO's like the plague. Some may do fine with the wait and see policy, but my family will not get better with out antibiotics.. and every cold or virus is almost guaranteed to turn into a secondary bacterial infection. Our sinuses just do not drain.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 09-11-2007 at 10:16 AM.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Sorry to hear your little guy is feeling so bad. As a rule of thumb, usually a sore throat is a virus and virus' have to run their course. However, some virus' can be bacterial, more specifically with strep. But if it is not strep, you will probably have to wait it out.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

Like KeltoKel says, if it is a regular virus, there is nothing at all you can do. Giving antibiotics to someone who can't benefit from them does more harm than good. You will find that children who are put on antibiotics often, become immune to them. We get hundreds of people during flu season in the ER demanding antibiotics for the flu. The flu is a virus and they cannot be helped. They will be given fluids and sent home. My son gets A LOT of ear infections. I will usually wait it out for a couple of days, all the while giving him motrin or tylenol. Some doctor's are very strict on not giving medication unless it's needed, which they should be.

Try giving cough syrup at bedtime and using a humidifier. This will ensure that the boogies don't harder on the tender nose. A cough takes a very long time to go away, usually up to 2 weeks sometimes. Good luck!! My thoughts are with you!!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User

Well it has nothing to do with his damn molars we came to find out because now the entire family is sick he was checked for strep, it came back negative, they called him in a antibiotic for the coughs so it helps ease his sore throat because he was not eatting or drinking, i now got to him eat jello atleast...the doctor also told us to give him tylenol with it every 4 hours, we are using the cool mist humidifier at bedtime, and also the vapor plug in's. my 6 month old is on pediacare and tylenol as the doctor directed every 4 hours also, they share a room so he also has the humidifier and plug in too. my 2 years olds temp has never reached 100, but the 6 month old has hit 100.9.

my oldest now has the wholer unny nose deal, im just aggrivated they didnt do anything earlier, could have prevented all of this, im thinking of switchin pediatricians, im not the only one who has trouble with them!! a friend of mine's son had a needle broke off in his arm when he got his shots a few months ago!!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Definitely switch. I would.

Good luck and get better soon. Are you all on antibiotics finally for the strep?

Sincerely,
MG

Old 09-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorsMommy929 View Post
Well it has nothing to do with his damn molars we came to find out because now the entire family is sick he was checked for strep, it came back negative, they called him in a antibiotic for the coughs so it helps ease his sore throat because he was not eatting or drinking, i now got to him eat jello atleast...the doctor also told us to give him tylenol with it every 4 hours, we are using the cool mist humidifier at bedtime, and also the vapor plug in's. my 6 month old is on pediacare and tylenol as the doctor directed every 4 hours also, they share a room so he also has the humidifier and plug in too. my 2 years olds temp has never reached 100, but the 6 month old has hit 100.9.

my oldest now has the wholer unny nose deal, im just aggrivated they didnt do anything earlier, could have prevented all of this, im thinking of switchin pediatricians, im not the only one who has trouble with them!! a friend of mine's son had a needle broke off in his arm when he got his shots a few months ago!!

why did they put him on antibiotics if he doesn't have strep??? does he have a bacterial infection? honestly, if it's not strep and it's nothing bacterial, it's probably just a cold and there really isn't anything the doctors could have done to prevent it, you just have to let it run it's course.

the only thing you can do for a cold is treat the symptoms. i like robitussin for coughs -- they make one for ages 2 to adult -- it works like a charm on my girls. if your older one will drink it, hot honey and lemon mixed with water (or apple juice if he won't take it with water) is very soothing for a sore throat and cough. also, vicks baby rub works wonders too! if his nose gets sore and chapped from all the wiping (so not fun!), put vaseline on his nose and it will help. for the sore throat, i'm pretty sure chloraseptic spray is made for kids too. i've used it on my older daughter, and i think it was when she was two.... it worked great for her, so it's definitely worth looking into! also, if his throat is swollen at all, you might try ibuprofen, since it's made to reduce inflammation.

as far as switching doctors, i'd sure do it if your doctor gave you antibiotics for a viral infection! especially if they didn't give you any information about how to treat your son's symptoms! i hate useless doctors! and the needle in the arm thing is a little scary too! hope your little guy is on the way to getting better!

Last edited by mcr285; 09-12-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

Colds can be so frustrating, especially if you continually bounce them between kids. It seems to take weeks for it to get out of the house! If the doctor is not helpful on explaining to you how to help treat your child's symptoms, I would switch. You want to trust and like your doctor b/c with kids, you see them a lot! I would especially change if they are treating your kids viral infections with antibiotics. There is no reason at all that a child should be put on prescription antibiotics for a viral infection. It DOES NOT cure it. There is no cure for a common cold. I think that more and more doctors' prescribe them as a way to keep us parents quiet. You sound like your doing everything you can to help your little one's feel comfortable, but the only thing you can do not is wait it out and wash hands. Keep on top of your kids and make sure they aren't sharing anything. This way when one gets better, they don't turn around and get it again! Had that happen!

Old 09-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User

well, he is only on a prescription for the cough, to calm it, and it worked! he is still sick, feeling better today though. they told me i couldnt give him anything else but plain tylenol because of the antibiotic...my hubby and 6 month old are pretty much over it, we are using the vicks baby rub, and we aired out the house today and changed the filter in the central air unit, we are trying EVERYTHING, we have a big wedding to go to on saturday so im tryin my best!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread